Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water

Options
  • 17-01-2012 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Want to see where I stand on this issue.

I've been renting a room in a house. There is no hot water in any of the taps unless the heating has been on for an hour or so, and even in thatcase you don't get much hot water.

The heating is gas so its quite expensive and we only have it on when its cold. So basically, there's never hot water when you need it and we have to boil a kettle for everything (washing , shaving, washing dishes etc). The shower does have hot water all the time.

The landlord is generally quite good about sorting things out but when I questioned him about getting hot water in the taps he was a bit evasive. Just want to know where I stand with this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Tusky wrote: »
    I've been renting a room in a house. There is no hot water in any of the taps unless the heating has been on for an hour or so, and even in thatcase you don't get much hot water.

The heating is gas so its quite expensive and we only have it on when its cold. So basically, there's never hot water when you need it and we have to boil a kettle for everything (washing , shaving, washing dishes etc). The shower doesn't have hot water all the time.

Yes, it's usual that there not be hot water in the taps if you haven't had the heating or emersion on to heat it. If I wanted a shower in the last place I lived with gas heating, I needed to wait an hour before the water was hot enough. Where I'm living now, I need to have the (oil) heating on for 2 hours before I can have a shower. If I need a small bit of water for washing up, etc., I just boil the kettle.

I know I'm always extra grumpy and cynical in the mornings, but given the time this was posted, I'm still not sure if this is a serious post or if it's drunken ramblings? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Completely normal. You could maybe ask the ll for a timer, so that the emersion comes on an hour before you get up in the morning, but he is under no obligation to provide.

I suspect the shower doesn't always have hot water because your fellow tenants use it all up before you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thats completely normal.

would you ask your Landlord to put in an electric shower or a spliter, so you can turn the water on but not the rads.?

i have gas heating, and we have the water on for an hour each night for washing dishes and shaving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

irishbird wrote: »
    thats completely normal.

would you ask your Landlord to put in an electric shower or a spliter, so you can turn the water on but not the rads.?

i have gas heating, and we have the water on for an hour each night for washing dishes and shaving etc.

The thing is, even if the heating has been you only get a small amount of hot water. Not enough to wash a full set of dishes or anything. A splitter like you mentioned would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Tusky wrote: »
    The thing is, even if the heating has been you only get a small amount of hot water. Not enough to wash a full set of dishes or anything. A splitter like you mentioned would be great.
    A spliter can't be installed on many older systems. It depends on the route of the pipes. New valves on the raditators is how it is done on older systems.

Make sure the hotwater tank is insulated well, getting an extra lagging jacket will help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement