Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happened?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Left one job to move to another in the same sector, better pay and I knew the Manager well from previous work experience. Contract was initially temporary, but I was led to believe the job was permanent at the end of this period (Before leaving the old job/signing the contract and afterwards while working at the new job).

Heard a rumour mid way through this period from someone in the previous company id worked in that the position was not permanent and id being lied to. Dismissed it as sour grapes tbh, was a rumour from a friend of a friend kind of thing and I had no reason to believe it.

Skip on to the end of the contract and I'm told ill get a phone-call in a few days about the permanent contract. Heard nothing and was going to call in, then someone I worked with informed me they were surprised I was not getting a permanent contract and thought I had already being told.

I heard some negative feed back for the 1st time in the last week from this manager, so figured maybe this played a part and was going to inquire with him about what happened.

Next I hear from my brother (who I had not told at this point) that he heard from a friend who works in the company (different location, large company) that a story was circulating that this manager had hired staff he knew were good for temporary positions with the promise of permanent contracts that never existed.

It was only at this point I actually remembered the original rumour I had heard previously and put the two together.

What should my next step be with handling this situation? Should I still inquire with the manager first? I thought we were friends and would like to think it's all a misunderstanding, but the evidence seems to point to the contrary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Was it a fixed term contract? And for how long? If you have it there look up what it says about start and end dates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is Ireland: idle gossip abounds, some of it malicious, some of it just stupid. Try not to believe too much of what you hear.

Give your manager the benefit of the doubt. Worst case you'll be sadly disappointed. Best case, you won't have soured a good relationship by assuming the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Employed at the same time as others, all with temporary contracts for a busy period, but with the understanding best performers would most likely be kept on.

I was told before signing the contract the permanent position would be mine, but of course never got this in writing. Was giving the impression regularly I was being kept on and received positive feed back on my performances anyway, was doing more hours then most regular staff, free overtime and not many days off. KPI's were high as well.

I'm not one to pay too much credence to rumours usually and I had dismissed the 1st one without too much thought, but now I find myself high and dry without employment and the last to know of it!

While i'm still sceptical about these rumours, as far as I know the friend of my brothers and the person from my old job would not know each other. Seems coincidental that a rumour would circulate before this happened in my old job, and then the story circulating through the new company afterwards is the exact same. As far as the other staff knew I was temporary as the rest, with no guarantee's.

Advertisement