Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't have enough references for interview

Options
  • 17-01-2012 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I have a job interview on Thursday. They emailed me today to ask me to bring three written references with me. I have only had three jobs. I have a reference from two of them, but I left my last job on very bad terms...I ended up setting my solicitor on them!

I've been trying to get in touch with one of my lecturers from college to give me one but no luck yet. It's very unlikely I'll have a third one by Thursday. I have the lecturer listed on my CV, as well as a previous co worker, both of whom will give me glowing references if they bother to ring them. Will this be enough with my two written references?

I'm terrified they're going to ask why I haven't one from my last job or ask for a number to contact them. It's a small family business and I was the only person who wasn't family. Noone there will have anything good to say about me.

One other quick question...How does a competency framework based interview differ from a normal interview? Or are they just using big words to frighten me? If they are it's obviously working or I wouldn't be posting here at 4 in the morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Morale of the story - dont set your solicitor on a former employer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

ardinn wrote: »

At the time I was more worried about the two grand she owed me than the reference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Competency framework based interview just means they are going to test your knowledge of the subject matter in hand and I wouldn't worry too much about not having the third reference but under no circumstances mention how it ended, that's a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I would prepare what you are going to say about the last job - it is likely they will ask you. Don't bring it up yourself obviously but be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to have a story to tell re the last job. It needs to resemble a non-blaming version of the truth, put in non-confrontational terms.

I wouldn't stress re the reference ... but have you got somoene who could give you a personal one - sports team, volunteer work, community group, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What was the result of getting the solicitor after your last employer? As in did you go to court or did they pay up eventually money owed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What was the result of getting the solicitor after your last employer? As in did you go to court or did they pay up eventually money owed?

They ended up paying 1600 eventually so I let it go. I'm not petty enough to take someone to court over 400.

Whiplashy wrote: »
    They ended up paying 1600 eventually so I let it go. I'm not petty enough to take someone to court over 400.

That's fair enough but still do not mention it no matter how well you think it's going.

I remember interviewing a guy for a good position years ago and he did really well in the interview and as we were wrapping up I asked him did he play football as he had a bruise on the side of his forehead. He proceeded to tell me a story about a fight he had with a few lads that "needed sorting" and "were asking for it".. He didn't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Joe10000 wrote: »
    That's fair enough but still do not mention it no matter how well you think it's going.

I remember interviewing a guy for a good position years ago and he did really well in the interview and as we were wrapping up I asked him did he play football as he had a bruise on the side of his forehead. He proceeded to tell me a story about a fight he had with a few lads that "needed sorting" and "were asking for it".. He didn't get the job.

Don't really think that's the same thing as taking legal action against an employer for money they owe you..

OP as someone said above if it comes up explain in a calm, honest and non-blaming manner about what happened.

I can understand some employers may see it as a 'black mark' against you that you have taken legal action, but that can't really be helped, what can help you is how you deal with it in an interview.

Going off on one about your former employer would not be a good thing, but simply stating that you did what you had to do or whatever, might go a long way. Whatever you do don't lie about it!!!

meganj wrote: »
    Don't really think that's the same thing as taking legal action against an employer for money they owe you.

I agree, it's not. The point I was trying to make was that no matter how comfortable you feel in the interview do not let your guard down and open up about negatives in your past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

ardinn wrote: »

Crap, what if the OP was fired unfairly? OP, how did you settle with the other employer? Could you still get a reference? TBH, why not just ring them and ask, since you have already had to engage legal with them and it is a written reference you need, they may be concerned about given a bad reference. Should they give you the minium ie start and finish date confirming you worked there, use it and explain at the interview. Something similar happened me and I found that the new employer where happy with being honest and I got that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

meganj wrote: »
    OP as someone said above if it comes up explain in a calm, honest and non-blaming manner about what happened.

I can understand some employers may see it as a 'black mark' against you that you have taken legal action, but that can't really be helped, what can help you is how you deal with it in an interview.

Going off on one about your former employer would not be a good thing, but simply stating that you did what you had to do or whatever, might go a long way. Whatever you do don't lie about it!!!

This...

Advertisement