Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor 90 Degree Rotate for Coding

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing the development forum is probably the best for this topic.

I'm looking to get an external monitor for coding, want the stand to be able to turn through 90 degrees into portrait. Its partially driven by the fact that i got a new laptop with a wide screen, which is great for some stuff, but coding is a bit of a pain.

I'm told not all flat panels are good like this and some are better than others.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Any monitor will do this for you, whats key is the stand. Get a monitor with a vesa compatible stand interface, and then get a stand that allows rotation. I got a stand before from Amazon, It was a hefty metal arm type thing that bolted to the desk and could adjust in all directions. The vesa bracket on it (which screws to the back of the monitor) could rotate 360 deg. Within Windows, its a simple matter to rotate the desktop to suit in all four directions.

There's great benefits to doing this interms of productivity, usability, ergonomics and your health / posture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dnme wrote: »
    Any monitor will do this for you, whats key is the stand. Get a monitor with a vesa compatible stand interface, and then get a stand that allows rotation. I got a stand before from Amazon, It was a hefty metal arm type thing that bolted to the desk and could adjust in all directions. The vesa bracket on it (which screws to the back of the monitor) could rotate 360 deg. Within Windows, its a simple matter to rotate the desktop to suit in all four directions.

There's great benefits to doing this interms of productivity, usability, ergonomics and your health / posture.

Yea that's what i thought too that any flat panel would do, but i done a little bit of googling and some people seemed to say that not all flat panels are equal when it comes to this.

Yea that's what i thought too that any flat panel would do, but i done a little bit of googling and some people seemed to say that not all flat panels are equal when it comes to this.

You'll know immediately, just take any monitor that you may have and test it at 90 degrees on your eyes for a few mins. But yes you raise a good point, I'm no expert but I'm sure there are different pixel technologies, back light technologies etc. I might also imagine that some pixels are rectangle rather than square which might lead to the issues you are eluding to. But I think it's not such a big issue these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I suggest trying the PC Building and Upgrading thread. The lads over there know their monitors be it from gaming and what not. I think any 1080p monitor would do the job for you if you have a card that supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I have dual 19" Samsungs on an Ergotron LX Dual - it's awesome.

45-245-026-portrait_lg.jpg

It can hold up to 24" monitors, and there are other arms available with 3 or more. Monitors can rotate and tilt completely independently, and it's spring loaded so they hold position.

With this you'll need a decent desk.

• Advertisement

Sweet looking piece of kit, I might invest for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's worth it if you spend a lot of time in front of your PC. I've had times where I'm in front of it for 8-10 hours without moving (not recommended), and I'd be dead without these - I also have an ergo mouse, a chair from the Back Shop, and a foot rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Trojan wrote: »
    It's worth it if you spend a lot of time in front of your PC. I've had times where I'm in front of it for 8-10 hours without moving (not recommended), and I'd be dead without these - I also have an ergo mouse, a chair from the Back Shop, and a foot rest.

Yea I definitely do want to get something sorted out. I was looking for recommendations as i'll probably end up ordering it from komplet so won't have a chance to try before I buy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I recently put a system together and went multi-monitor, 3 x 17" . I must say my speed and productivity has definitely increases. IDE running in the center panel with reference to the right. It's has definitely helped me anyway since I never have a clue what I'm doing so I'm referencing nearly all of the time :o . The third monitor was not really necessary though as all I usually have open on it is media and my file browser, but since I had an ATI card and it was capable I thought might as well. Well worth the investment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I would be sick as a dog from the disorientating effects of tabbing between programs every 2 seconds if i didnt have a second monitor.

I usually have my dev server terminal on open on my right, and my windows system on my left.

For code review today, Comparative differences on my right, and my own IDE for cross checking tests/files + writing lists of issues i find.

I would be lost without my second. I'd probably even have use for a third, but it would kick up a storm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement