Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots are coming to Ballina

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Councillor Willie Nolan confirmed that Boots have been granted planning permission to open in Pearse St. He also confirmed that Argos, Homebase and Burger King have never approached Ballina Town Council seeking planning permission to open in the town.

He also said that McDonalds would still be welcome just not at the location they have applied for at previously unless they drop the drive in part of the application. He commented that the council have suggested other sites to them if they want to include a drive in.

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/6559-boots-granted-planning-permission-for-ballina-store.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Thats great news about boots it will be a nice addition to the town and provide some much needed jobs.

Is Willie Nolan for real? Heatons have been in the town for at least 15 years more I think. Tesco have been trying to extend since they took over quinnsworth that must be another 15 years. Dunnes sought planning permission for expansion on their own sight and were refused. How would a drive through not work on the old deanwood sight? There is actually a road from teeling street that leads to the dean wood it is blocked off at the moment but it is still there. Mcdonalds in castlebar has a drive thru leading out on to a very busy road and it works fine. What difference could a drivethru make apart from affecting local takeaways.

The guys on the facebook page jobs for Ballina are really putting ballina council under pressure. Fair play to whoever is behind it, they are putting in great effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I agree that the Deanwood site is the wrong place for it. There is enough traffic going up O'Rahilly Street as it is and the added traffic from a drive in would make it worse. It should go out the Crossmolina road on the old factory site or else out the Killala Road. Plenty of room for it out there.

It has amused me no end that there is a couple of pages of a thread bemoaning the fact that McDonalds weren't granted permission and how the town council were a disgrace etc and yet only one reply here on this thread that is full of positive news.

I agree that the Deanwood site is the wrong place for it. There is enough traffic going up O'Rahilly Street as it is and the added traffic from a drive in would make it worse. It should go out the Crossmolina road on the old factory site or else out the Killala Road. Plenty of room for it out there.

It has amused me no end that there is a couple of pages of a thread bemoaning the fact that McDonalds weren't granted permission and how the town council were a disgrace etc and yet only one reply here on this thread that is full of positive news.

There is a road on teeling street that leads to the Deanwood I already covered that. Also a lot of people already skip o rahilly street to get to Lidl by taking a short cut through Diamonds carpark.

The council are finally coming under pressure to allow Ballina to grow so hopefully there will be change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Yes Lucy it is good news and I think there is an older thread on here reflecting on their arrival.

The other point to bear in mind is that the council traffic management plan and the changes that they have made to the flows (one way Pearse street, misguided O'Rahilly Street loop, roundabout at Humbert street etc.) are designed to ensure traffic flows around the town. By adding in McDonalds into the town centre area with a drive thru would go against this.

BTW, this is an observation and I am not privy to the council's thinking on this. It would appear that this development would run counter to the traffic measures introduced.

Two new pharmacies have opened in the town recently so this is going to be a competitive place for health and beauty supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

Ballina is such a shiithole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

D
    Ballina is such a shiithole.

:rolleyes:

Ballina has at least 3 beautiful iconic properties (mount falcon, ice house & Belleek castle) and one of the best ameneties in the county with Belleek woods.
    Structurally it is a very special town, bridge st coming down to the river moy (a great salmon river known worldwide with fishermen) is IMO nicer then Westport.
    The regeneration of Pearce st looks great and the addition of the jackie Clarke museum is fantastic.
    Hollister and Ballina beverages are amoung the best employers in the country.

Where Ballina has been let down is the town has allowed itself to be the dumping ground for some undesirables, poorly educated, not pushed hard enough for employment coming to the west, a culture has been allowed to flourish where it is ok to not look for work, hang out on the corners and generally not contribute to the town.

However Belly_Dancer with the intelligent and helpful posts that you seem to add to Boards.ie it is not only Ballina that faces a challenging future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

D

:rolleyes:

Ballina has at least 3 beautiful iconic properties (mount falcon, ice house & Belleek castle) and one of the best ameneties in the county with Belleek woods.
    Structurally it is a very special town, bridge st coming down to the river moy (a great salmon river known worldwide with fishermen) is IMO nicer then Westport.

Nope, you're not having that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nope, you're not having that.

Are on that point, Ballina better than Westport..... "the computer says no". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Is there no pharmacy in town?

• Advertisement

Why do you ask that Rory1?

Rory1 wrote: »
    Is there no pharmacy in town?

Yes there are 8 other pharmacys in Ballina.

Ballina is often referred to one of the countrys blackspots when it comes to unemployment. The town did not develop in a signifigant way during the boom years. A recent refusal of planning permission to Mcdonalds for a restaurant and drive thru on the site of a derelict hotel has angered locals. The Mcdonalds would have created much needed jobs for the town and attracted people to the town. Boots will do the same and hopefully other chainstores will also be attracted and set up shop which will in turn create jobs and attract people in. Many people bypass Ballina when it comes to shopping in favour of Castlebar a 30 min drive away or sligo a 40 min drive away. Both these towns developed signifigantly in the last ten years.

Ballina council, chamber of commerce and town planners are now been blamed for not promoting development in the town. Quiet a few councillors are now and were in the past small business people in the town or had strong connections to some of the small businesses. Tesco have a small branch in the town they have spent more than a decade looking to develop that is only now going to take place this year. Dunnes also looked to extend again a no go. Its hard to understand why so much gets knocked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Why do you ask that Rory1?

I'm a little surprised to see a thread being created for the opening of pharmacy, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I'm a little surprised to see a thread being created for the opening of pharmacy, that's all.

Boots is a big thing though. Product ranges and value and stuff. Theres a thread about the shop in castlebar in this forum aswell.

It's not just a pharmacy though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Saw a poster up in the castlebar store looking for staff for the Ballina store so it's definitely happening!! and if anyone is looking for a job you know where to go:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Saw a poster up in the castlebar store looking for staff for the Ballina store so it's definitely happening!! and if anyone is looking for a job you know where to go:D

Ya i tried to apply online and I only saw a position of pharmacy dispenser advertised... theyve hardly got enough applications already (i hope)

lestat21 wrote: »
    Ya i tried to apply online and I only saw a position of pharmacy dispenser advertised... theyve hardly got enough applications already (i hope)

Sorry but there were a number of different types of jobs full and part time been advertised upuntil the last week or two. It would seem that they reached the quota of applications and these vacancies are no longer there. However you could go into their shop in Castlebar and ask for more info.

They are hoping to open on 6 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kepo

did anybody have an interview for the new store??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Pearse Street has changed from being the banking street to a lovely shopping street now. Looks well too with the trees and the widened footpaths. Boots will be a welcome addition.

Advertisement