Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SSD

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My main pc needs to be wiped (yearly task) and all my progs reloaded.

I have a 60gb ssd in there running all my prog, os and a few games but is pretty full.
    So, I have the option of installing a second 60g ssd and wanted opinions.

I was going to load w7 & my pc games on ssd-1.
    and then load my progs on ssd-2.
    so when I go to do a fresh install whenever - I just have to load w7 & any new game I have on ssd-1 and leave ssd-2 alone. Is this possible or do some of my progs use windows folders etc.

Progs would be - avg, photoshop, hd video software, etc.
    Or use clone software.

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yup, just format the 2nd drive and it *should* appear as your D drive (or possibly E depending on how everything is plugged in) in windows and then every time you install an app, just change the install path from C:\progam files\appname to D:\progam files\appname and you're sorted.

if you are feeling adventurous, you can change the default install path in your registry to D instead of C for the following entries so that windows will always choose the D drive to install to by default:

188709.jpg

(as always, backup your registry before making any changes). you'll have both of these if you have the 64 bit version of windows, but no (x86) one if it's 32bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It depends how much programs and games you have. I have about 400GB of games, but only about 30-40GB of non-game applications. With that setup, I'd install the OS and applications to the first 60GB drive, and use the second as a cache for a .5-1TB drive.

This assumes you have a Z68 board of course, which you may not. If you don't, then what you're suggesting is a good ideal. Again, depending on how much games you have, you could install them all to a mechanical drive, and transfer your most played to the SSD with this Steam Mover Tool.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi

thanks lads,
    that S_Mover tools looks good.

will go with that dual setup so.
    os & games on ssd-1 and my progs on ssd-2.

Reason - since my ssd was getting full I put two new pc games on a sata drive and it's so slow to load the games - it has to be sdd - as i've got use to my progs loading so quickly. spoilt :)

Thanks again,

K

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

same here. :D

I have my pair of 60gb SSD's as a RAID0 set though and still keep older games on a mechanical drive and just whatever game i'm currently playing i keep on the SSD volume so it loads nice and quickly.

I also keep a mirrored copy of my user profile on the mechanical drive too, just in case the RAID0 volume ever falls over, i still have the important stuff. that way i just need to reinstall the OS (Win7 x64 from a USB flash drive, done in about 15 minutes) and any apps and i'm ready to go again. :)

Advertisement