Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus 20% Sale what a joke.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

ntlbell wrote: »
    They don't add it, that's the point of the thread.

No it is not the point of the thread. It is that the Aer Lingus 20% sale is a rip off.
    It is just that you have turned it into it.

well done, because at that point it *IS* the total price for the ticket.

I dont see your point, I never mentioned the work ticket I said Total Price.

Agan like so many other times in this thread you get your facts wrong.

I guess I should not have replied to this as you appear to be the type of person that needs the last word to prove you are right even if you have to twist facts to make it look as if you are correct.

If you do not understand that the term Total Price is the amount you pay than there is no point in trying to reason with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bigjoe wrote: »
    No it is not the point of the thread. It is that the Aer Lingus 20% sale is a rip off.
    It is just that you have turned it into it.

Please read the first post were the poster brought it up.

I'm merely explaining the point.

I dont see your point, I never mentioned the work ticket I said Total Price.

Agan like so many other times in this thread you get your facts wrong.

I guess I should not have replied to this as you appear to be the type of person that needs the last word to prove you are right even if you have to twist facts to make it look as if you are correct.

If you do not understand that the term Total Price is the amount you pay than there is no point in trying to reason with you.

I can't make it any clearer.

On that particular page it is the total ticket price.

They can't calculate the service charge as there may not be one yet.

You move on, you choose a card were a service charge will be required to use it (you have a choice here) service charge added, you get a new price.

the same happens on amazon for ireland VAT etc

The vast majority of people buying online are used to this and don't have any difficulties.

There's always one tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

First let me say my thoughts are the total price is what you pay, not what you might pay if you don’t add things. The only place they should say total price is at the bottom of the last page after all extras are included.

I find it funny people squabbling over this when the bigger picture is that Aer Lingus are rip off merchants and there is no way to defend them. They have being doing it as the norm for years.

I just looked at flights to Manchester 2 people
    Ryanair 105 Euro
    Aer Lingus 319 Euro
    For my flight times.

Now that is a rip off. Like the person above to Alicante why would anyone even try to defend Aer Lingus?

I like to get the best price I can and will always check any available airlines to my destination but it is very rare that Aer Lingus are best.

Really ... I was looking for flights the other day:

Aer Lingus:
    Amsterdam - Dublin
    Out: 2nd March
    Return: 4th March
    TOTAL EUR 81.98 inc handling fee.

Ryanair:
    Eindhoven - Dublin
    Out: 2nd March
    Return: 4th March
    Total Cost 119.46 EUR (inc charges + Levy, ex CC fee)

And Amsterdams fees are much higher than Eindhoven.

So thats your 'theory' completely blown out of the water.

And even if the Aer Lingus fare is more expensive, they fly to and from Decent and well connected airports, sometimes by Saving yourself money with Ryanair your only shooting yourself in the foot with Time and additional costs flying to the middle of nowhere and having to travel for an extra 2 hours to your final destination.

E.G. Fly from Dublin to Dusseldorf
    Aer Lingus fly from Dublin direct to Dusseldorf International (15 minutes to the City Center)
    Ryanair fly from Dublin direct to Dusseldorf (Weeze) about 2 hours on Public Transport away from Dusseldorf

So thats your 'theory' completely blown out of the water.

What Theory? All I said was “it is very rare that Aer Lingus are best”

I find your post is irrelevant anyway as it is not comparing flights to the same airport.

On that particular page it is the total ticket price.

Wrong again It dose not say "total ticket price" It says Total Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

oops :o

The vast majority of people buying online are used to this and don't have any difficulties.

There's always one tho.

If you are referring to me I don’t have any difficulties. I am just point out what you clearly can’t see, (or more to the point choose not to see at this stage.)

On page 3 of the Aer Lingus booking system, it gives a price and says Total Price. This may not be the Total Price that you pay so why say it is the Total Price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    It is still a charge so why not man up and include it in the price rather than try to deceive people. Would it not just be better to add €6.00 to each way because that is what they are charging anyway.

It is just another way to up the price of the flight after you get you “total price” as they call it. Sorry I don’t know what it is for, they don’t say.
    No you can’t avoid it you have to pay it.

I agree with your initial post, ( i booked today only to find the €12 charge and was a bit peeved) but you seem terribly angry with people about this who are only trying to point out why the price may have actually gone up.

If they have 600 seats, being sold from 1a to 100d, they will be sold at a price in groups. So seats 1a to say 10d are being sold off at €5. 11a to 19d are sold at €20, 20a to 25d sold at €40 and so on and on and on. The seat you were initially going to buy may have came in one of the earlier price ranges, but as you decided to wait for the sale, more seats were sold which pushed you into the next price group.
    Am sure you know all this anyway, but no need to get so annoyed with people on here about it. Maybe you should use CHILL AIR in future

the same happens on amazon for ireland VAT etc

No it dose not from memory, I don’t think they say Total Price before you get the Total price that you pay. You get a price and than things like VAT or shipping are added than you get the Total Price.

This will be my last post about this as it makes me sound Anti Aer Lingus and I am not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What Theory? All I said was “it is very rare that Aer Lingus are best”

I find your post is irrelevant anyway as it is not comparing flights to the same airport.

From the same Airport actually ... I don't live in Ireland.

And Eindhovens fees are far lower than Schiphol.

They are only 1 hr 30 minutes away from each other ... Ryanair would never fly into Schiphol .. too expensive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - the price difference between Aer Lingus and Ryanair (or other airlines) is irrelevant and it's pulling the thread off-topic. Please stick to the original topic.

dudara

Wrong again It dose not say "total ticket price" It says Total Price.

I said it was the total ticket price, which it is.

• Advertisement

If you are referring to me I don’t have any difficulties. I am just point out what you clearly can’t see, (or more to the point choose not to see at this stage.)

On page 3 of the Aer Lingus booking system, it gives a price and says Total Price. This may not be the Total Price that you pay so why say it is the Total Price?

Really, I'm starting to wonder how some people manage to tie their shoe laces in the morning.

At that point on that page the total price displayed is the total price for the TICKET. and that is correct.

Now, if you YOU choose to use a payment type that has a surcharge of 12e then this will be shown at the final stage as they don't know how you're paying before this.

straight forward enough right?

now when the 12e is added, it's not added to the price of the ticket, the total price of the ticket remains the same. but a service charge is added for the use of that card. nothing to do with the ticket you just purchased at whatever price.;

they show this at the final page before you pay it's not hidden in anyway and is written all over the bloody website.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

I said it was the total ticket price, which it is.

What difference dose it make what you say. Aer Lingus don’t say Total Ticket Price, they Say Total Price which it might not be.

Above you say it is the total ticket price, how are people to know that? Come to this thread and read your ravings?

What difference dose it make what you say. Aer Lingus don’t say Total Ticket Price, they Say Total Price which it might not be.

Above you say it is the total ticket price, how are people to know that? Come to this thread and read your ravings?

My advice to you for your own sake is not to get back into this.

You can say what you want to explain it but if this person can’t get their head around the fact that the Total Price for something is the final price you pay, than they are not worth the hassle.

Just look at the number of times they have been wrong and made false statements in this thread. They would rather lie than admit they were wrong.

I am finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

You walk into a car dealer and see a sign on the wall over a new car, Total Price
    €15,900 including delivery charges and fees. Sale starts tomorrow with a further 20% off. You think that looks great I will have that I will come back in the morning.

You go to the bank and get cash. You go back the next morning and there is a new sign up €17,900. So you go in and ask, why has the price gone up even though you are having a sale and they say “Ah we only had 3 for sale at that price” You think to yourself, I doubt they would have sold them since last night because they are having a sale today but you have to except that they did. You then think I might still go for it.

You are handing over the money and the guy says “hold on that will be another €1,200.” You ask what for and he says it a fee because you are paying by cash and we need to count it. I assume you would question it asking about the sign over there on the wall that says Total Price and he says Ah yes but the little sign on the ground tells you about this €1400 fee.

He than say we’ll take the fee off if you pay by Credit Card but you like the vast majority of people don’t have a credit limit of €17,900 on your card. So you have to pay with the cash and pay the fee if you want the car.

If he said the fee would be €180.00 you might pay it and not be too worried. (That would be roughly 1% which is roughly what Aer Lingus get charged for us using Credit cards, yet they are charging roughly 7% on the OP posting.) That in its self is a rip-off. I am surprised this has not been brought before.

So if you want the car you have to pay it. Would you not think there is something wrong this situation or do you think a car dealer would get away with it? Sorry I forgot the government own a big stake in the company so they can do what they want without any worry.

;););););););););););););););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Hope you never have to buy anything in the US or Canada. Sales Tax is only added to the price when you go to pay for your purchase (at least thats the way it was last time I was there).

cbrlover wrote: »
    You walk into a car dealer and see a sign on the wall over a new car, Total Price
    €15,900 including delivery charges and fees. Sale starts tomorrow with a further 20% off. You think that looks great I will have that I will come back in the morning.

You go to the bank and get cash. You go back the next morning and there is a new sign up €17,900. So you go in and ask, why has the price gone up even though you are having a sale and they say “Ah we only had 3 for sale at that price” You think to yourself, I doubt they would have sold them since last night because they are having a sale today but you have to except that they did. You then think I might still go for it.

You are handing over the money and the guy says “hold on that will be another €1,200.” You ask what for and he says it a fee because you are paying by cash and we need to count it. I assume you would question it asking about the sign over there on the wall that says Total Price and he says Ah yes but the little sign on the ground tells you about this €1400 fee.

He than say we’ll take the fee off if you pay by Credit Card but you like the vast majority of people don’t have a credit limit of €17,900 on your card. So you have to pay with the cash and pay the fee if you want the car.

If he said the fee would be €180.00 you might pay it and not be too worried. (That would be roughly 1% which is roughly what Aer Lingus get charged for us using Credit cards, yet they are charging roughly 7% on the OP posting.) That in its self is a rip-off. I am surprised this has not been brought before.

So if you want the car you have to pay it. Would you not think there is something wrong this situation or do you think a car dealer would get away with it? Sorry I forgot the government own a big stake in the company so they can do what they want without any worry.

The problem with your long winded analogy is car prices don't change by minute/hour/day flight tickets can and do.

There's plenty of options if your not happy with Aer Lingus like the fantastic straight talking no extra charges ryanair.

It is the total price, unless YOU choose to use a card which their is a fee to use.

christ all mighty.

My advice to you for your own sake is not to get back into this.

You can say what you want to explain it but if this person can’t get their head around the fact that the Total Price for something is the final price you pay, than they are not worth the hassle.

Just look at the number of times they have been wrong and made false statements in this thread. They would rather lie than admit they were wrong.

I am finished with it.

It is the final price you pay FOR THE TICKET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

What a ridiculous comparison.

There are an infinite amount of cars available and as such you can simply switch to another dealer / make / model if the car you wanted suddenly went up.
    The same way the OP could switch days and get a cheaper rate - but NO, the op want to go on that particular date and that's it.

The it his / hers tough luck - there are probably 210 seats on the plane and it can't be stretched or widened or extra seats added. Therefore if the op really has to go that day, he/she has to pay.

Bt if the OP wants a lower price - change the date!

The problem with your long winded analogy is car prices don't change by minute/hour/day flight tickets can and do.

There's plenty of options if your not happy with Aer Lingus like the fantastic straight talking no extra charges ryanair.

I beg to differ.

We looked to get a new car and I got 3 different prices for the same car from the same dealer on the same day.

It is the final price you pay FOR THE TICKET.

It is not the final price you pay if you use a Visa card, so it is not the final price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭mattser

" It's not a CHARGE...... it's a FEE ". FFS.

mattser wrote: »
    " It's not a CHARGE...... it's a FEE ". FFS.

Can you please tell me what the difference is as I still have to pay it if I pay using a Credit Card? See my first post even Aer Lingus can’t tell me.

I beg to differ.

We looked to get a new car and I got 3 different prices for the same car from the same dealer on the same day.

Maybe they need to look at the sales training? *shrug*

• Advertisement

Can you please tell me what the difference is as I still have to pay it if I pay using a Credit Card? See my first post even Aer Lingus can’t tell me.

The price of the ticket is the price of the ticket.

The credit card charge is for using certain cards or not using certain cards whatever way you want to look at it.

It's an option a choice and YOU choose.

It is not the final price you pay if you use a Visa card, so it is not the final price you pay.

It is the final price for the ticket.

The credit card/handling fee != ticket price

please re-read the thread before posting anything else

maxer68 wrote: »
    The same way the OP could switch days and get a cheaper rate - but NO, the op want to go on that particular date and that's it.

Bt if the OP wants a lower price - change the date!

And what makes you think I can change my dates.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭mattser

I think you got me wrong. I am also struggling to see the difference. Hence, the FFS.

mattser wrote: »
    I think you got me wrong. I am also struggling to see the difference. Hence, the FFS.

Sorry, as I said even the Aer Lingus staff can't see it.

The price is the price and we can see it on the final payment screen. I totally understand the whole booking system of these companies and I can make up my mind where and when I buy or don’t buy.

I just thing that Aer Lingus are trying to mislead people with this statement by saying it is the Total Price when clearly it might not be and they are well aware of that.

please re-read the thread before posting anything else

That's rich coming from you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK I just phoned them and asked how they can call the price on page 3 the Total Price when it might not be as they don’t know at that stage what else I might want to book or how I want to pay. She told me that it is misleading and because they get so many calls about it, the customer’s services department have been in contact with their IT department who say they are looking into it. She also told me it is legal the way it is worded.

So even they agree it is misleading.

OK I just phoned them and asked how they can call the price on page 3 the Total Price when it might not be as they don’t know at that stage what else I might want to book or how I want to pay. She told me that it is misleading and because they get so many calls about it, the customer’s services department have been in contact with their IT department who say they are looking into it. She also told me it is legal the way it is worded.

So even they agree it is misleading.

Which is what was suggested a few pages back.

Misleading or not was not the issue, it was if it is a rip off or not.

Which it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

I think it is wrong, not going to use the word rip-off as there seems to be a few definitions flying about, but just wrong on a basic level.

*ducks and runs for cover* :D

Typical.

Look even after their customer services agree it is misleading he still tries to defend it.

I am out of here.

Cop on you muppet

Is misleading someone about the price of something not the same as ripping them off?

Is misleading someone about the price of something not the same as ripping them off?

I Personally don't think it's misleading for *ME*

But there will be morons who who might get caught out with it.

So to save these idiots from themselves, I think Aer Lingus should look at it.

The rest of us don't need our hand held to make a very simple straight forward online purchase.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

This thread has run it's course and there's too much personal abuse. Closed!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement