Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which band has been running (or ran) the longest?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

The Beach Boys started in 1961 and are still going = 51 years.

Any going for longer?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Worztron

Golden Earring are also going since 1961.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hart

Yep. The Drifters formed in 1953 and have been going continuously, albeit with several line up changes, in one form or another since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The Kilfenora Céilí Band have been going since 1910.

No original members left unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the rolling stones, the who albeit only two left

fleetwood mac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

the rolling stones
    beach boys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Four Tops, started in 54, first single in 56, just the one original member left now in Abdul "Duke" Fakir, new guys brought in (including siblings) as the original line up simply got too old and died (two of four) or left (Levi Stubbs, one of four).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think they are called hawkwind, they have had like 200 albums or something lol, lemmy from motorhead was in them before he started motorhead. They left him at a service station because he was out of it and not getting back on the bus for ages.
    I cant get wiki up today but as far as i know they are around a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

A good supplemental question to this would be, which band has been going the longest with the original line up intact ? Anyone care to have a stab at that ? U2 must be close, 1978 I think they started. Can't think of too many who've managed that long. Not a fan, but you've got to give them credit for that. Even REM lost their drummer along they way before they split. Dont think any bands from the sixties would still have their original line up. (Who, Stones, Beach Boys etc.)

Edit - Posted this before I saw the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

trashcan wrote: »
    A good supplemental question to this would be, which band has been going the longest with the original line up intact ? Anyone care to have a stab at that ? U2 must be close, 1978 I think they started. Can't think of too many who've managed that long. Not a fan, but you've got to give them credit for that. Even REM lost their drummer along they way before they split. Dont think any bands from the sixties would still have their original line up. (Who, Stones, Beach Boys etc.)

Edit - Posted this before I saw the other thread.
    the who the stones and the beach boys all have lost members ,
    the who and the beach boys through death and the stones through kicking him out then him dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Hart wrote: »
    Yep. The Drifters formed in 1953 and have been going continuously, albeit with several line up changes, in one form or another since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Worztron

The oldest bands mentioned so far:

1. The Kilfenora Céilí Band (1910-present) = 102 years

2. The Drifters (1953-present) = 59 years. Do they have any original members left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Sugababes will probably be around forever, since anyone who leaves is immediately replaced.

Advertisement