Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schools

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I live in Clonee but am thinking of moving to another part of Dublin 15, either Clonsilla/ Luttrelstown/ Carpenterstown areas. My daughter is nearly school age so been looking at schools as well and I'm not really encouraged. Clonsilla - From what I remember of Clonsilla, the traffic is insane in the mornings, and it's been confirmed to me it's still that way. Some of the children in Clonsilla have to go to St Patricks school in Diswellstown if they don't get into St Mochtas because it's in the same parish.

Luttrelstown seems to only have St patricks in the vicinity (difficult to get into it seems), only alternative seems to be Scoil Thomas in Laurellodge which looks quite a distance away. The whole situation is making me think that although Luttrelstown/carpenterstown seems like nicer more established areas, the school situation seems difficult. I'm better off staying around Clonee/Ongar where there have been new schools built and would be in walking distance etc. However the litter problem around Ongar is really putting me off and Clonee is just soulless there seems to be nothing around the area for any kids to do (except for GAA). I know I've been very direct and don't mean to offend anyone, but these are my thoughts at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

To be honest...with the waiting lists these days is whatever school you get in and NOT what school you like to !

Go and get your junior registered on the waiting list,ask the Secretary for the application form !

Seen in the morning few days ago,at around 7'30am, kids waiting for school buses,aligned at the side of the road,in cold,wind and rain ! I will never not understand those parents...

And don't forget:the best school is the one around the corner !

Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Well, this is it, I am reconsidering moving to those areas as my DD mightn't get into a school within walking distance, whereas where we are, she would. However it wasn't our long term or even mid term plan to stay in Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Its true you take what you are given, no choices. Something you may need to bear in mind also is secondary schools - I know it may be a bit early for you to be thinking of this however many of the schools policy is based on how long you have lived in the area along with the area you are living in. Unfortunately there is no picking and choosing around here. My children are in St Mochtas and they have got on great so far - there are pros and cons to it like all schools. Best of luck with your move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think you have it a bit backwards.

St Patricks is the hardest to get into, then St Mochtas then Scoil Thomas. St Mochtas takes the overflow from St Patricks. The people you see being bused into St Patricks probably are getting in via the sibling rule, rather than catchment. Theres also Scoil Choilm Community National School, Porterstown.

You can get to Scoil Thomas from Luttrelstown/ Carpenterstown without hitting any traffic. its only a 5~15 min walk anyway. I assume clonsilla is bad traffic to anywhere.

Theres a list of schools here.
    http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-15

Thanks, that's helpful.

• Advertisement

You really want to check the actually school about their waiting lists and policies. Its often on the school website. The school would give you an idea's of the numbers on list, and likely chance of getting in. No point moving to an area and finding out you have to drive to another for school. Some schools don't have a problem with numbers and some do.

yes I've been doing that and the impression I get from St Patricks is that there is a problem. Scoil Thomais not so much so I guess Luttrelstown still on the cards. But of course we wouldn't know for sure she would get into Scoil Thomas until that summer. and if not . . . .seems to me a good probability of having to drive to Clonsilla.

Theres also a problem with secondary places too. And home location and primary school is also a factor for that also.

They couldn't make it more unhelpful to someone planning where to live if they tried.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Does anyone have experience of the following schools in Ongar:

St Benedict's N.S.
    Castaheany Educate Together N.S.
    Scoil Ghrainne N.S.

We are trying to decide what school to enroll our daughter in, she is on the waiting list for all three but will boviously have to decide between them, currently leaning towards Scoil Ghrainne, but would really appreciate the advice of anyone with experience of the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Gallyer,
    Can I ask when you put your daughters name down and what year she will start for St Benedicts?
    I rang a few months ago about putting my sons names down and they said they dont take names until the january before they would be due to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Just put it down for Benedicts last week. They are taking applications for another few weeks (i think). We were on the waiting list for Educate together for a couple of years, and Scoil ghrainne for a good few months now.

Do you have any advice on the different schools?

Advertisement