Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice periods and new jobs

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I have a job at the moment, fixed term contract, ending next year, one months notice required. I have a job in the pipeline and they need someone pretty soon.

There is a clause in my contract if both sides agree the notice period can be waived, but I presume this stops at my line manager. I have already sacrificed two job offers due to this job and issues with notice and I regret it now. I feel like the same problem will keep arising, and yet next year when my contract ends I will most likely be let go. I know there are legal repercussions for leaving early but I doubt my boss or employer would follow that path. Rather, I would be putting my colleagues in a very difficult position at a busy time.

I have taken on a lot more work without complaint over the last year and do feel taken advantage of and want to leave –I don’t mind taking on more work and hours for no extra pay if everyone does it, but they haven’t and I was not given the choice. I am at the bottom of the pecking order so it’s not as if the organisation will fall apart without me, but my line manager knows how much work I do, and if I do leave he will have to do it. I should get excellent references from here so I don’t want to jeopardise that, but that said I suspect my boss would give me an excellent reference after my contract was up – he might not if he thought it would facilitate me leaving.

What should I do if I get this job but they won’t wait for a month, but my employer won’t waive the month?

Advertisement