Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Meat For Freezing

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm using up a meat voucher this evening worth €75 and will be freezing most things.

I am looking for suggestions on meat that freezes well and does not lose its taste.

I already have alot of lamb chops so I won't be buying them.

I can recall freezing pork chops before and thinking them quite tasteless when I cooked them.

I will probably get some liver.

How well would a pork loin freeze, taste wise?

I am open to anything so would love to hear suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find pretty much any raw meat freezes well but alot of it comes down to proper wrapping - you need to exclude as much air as possible and double wrap in such a way that it won't come off as it gets pushed around the freezer.
    Sure, a pork chop covered in frost and freezer burn won't taste too good after 6 months in the freezer.

I freeze steaks, pork and lamb chops, beef joints, legs of lamb, pork joints, whole chickens without any problems, if properly wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If this is a voucher for a normal butchers they might stock other things, like jars of sauces etc. I had a €50 voucher and got about €20 worth of cured sausage, like chorizo etc, it was vacuum packed and the use by was months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I freeze chicken breasts and minced beef all the time without any problems!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Should never freeze lamb chops, they turn out tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Should never freeze lamb chops, they turn out tasteless.

I disagree. If wrapped properly, they are,in my experience, fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A trick I remember from many years back for freezing is as follows:

• Fill up the sink with cold water
    • Put the meat into the freezer bag
    • submerge it in the water up to about 1 cm from the opening (obviously making sure not to let the water in)

This should expel a lot of the air, you can use your hands to "massage" out the remainder.

Advertisement