Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking the right telescope

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, I’m also new to astronomy, and I am looking for advice on some telescopes that I am looking to purchase. They are:

· Celestron 102 NexStar SLT
    · Celestron 127 NexStar SLT
    · Celestron 130 NexStar SLT
    · Celestron NexStar 4 XLT SE

Which one is best for seeing more than just planets ie Moon, Planets and their moons, Comets, Asteroids, Meteors, Nebula and Stars?

I have looked them up on the internet but it’s hard to identify which ones will get greater deep space items, rather than just planets. I do understand that these are not 6 to 12 inch scopes. I understand that there limitations as to what can be seen, but would like to know what I can actually see with these and which is best for my needs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Which telescope is better? 4 votes

Celestron 102 NexStar SLT
    0% 0 votes
    Celestron 127 NexStar SLT
    25% 1 vote
    Celestron 130 NexStar SLT
    0% 0 votes
    Celestron NexStar 4 XLT SE
    75% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Were you looking at stargazing last night :)

I am also looking into purchasing a telescope, would be very interested to hear the answers to OP's questions :)

"Which one is best for seeing more than just planets ie Moon, Planets and their moons, Comets, Asteroids, Meteors, Nebula and Stars?"

Would it be possible to see the above on a budget of maybe 100 - 200 E?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Hi,

I didn't vote in the poll.

Which is best????

Well.....generally:

More Aperture is better.

BUT.....this generally means you get a bigger scope which is heavier and needs storage somewhere. It's a balancing act.

A good telescope mount is very important too.

The scopes you've listed are all fairly small scopes, so they will probably come with light enough mounts...possibly even the same mount (probably an EQ3/CG3 or equivalent).

Mounts get sturdier, steadier, carry bigger loads and are more accurate as the number goes up.
    So an EQ1 (or CG1) is much less robust AND lighter than an EQ6 (CG6).
    (I'm being a bit 'general' with the EQ = CG numbbers...)

Bright objects like the Moon and Planets don't need as much light gathering as distant/dim objects like nebulae etc.

Many recommend Refractors (lens scopes) for planets and larger light buckets (like bigger Reflectors/mirror/Newtonians) for deep sky objects.

I use an 8" Reflector/Newtonian on a CG5 mount for both Solar System (Planets/Moon/Sun) and Deep Sky.

As a starter/intermediate scope, any one of the list should be fine :)

Clear skies!
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LostStarGazer

Hi Peterako,

Thanks for your help.

Just in relation to the telescopes I mentioned, what can I expect to see with these? Will I be able to see anything in any great detail? I dont really want to go for something bigger as they cost a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the whole list of scopes you have.

But my 'first' scope was a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ.

I'd imagine the views woudl be similar to the:

· Celestron 127 NexStar SLT
    · Celestron 130 NexStar SLT

which are the two bigger scopes you have listed.

The numbers (127, 130 etc) refer to the scope's apperture in mm's for these scopes.

Moon.....fantastic!
    You can see the cloud belts on Jupiter and the Rings (as one) around Saturn.
    Mars will be an orange dot.

Great Nebular in Orion will be nicely visible too.
    I also maneged to observe M51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy) with this scope.

It gives pretty good views at the price and size.

(What is your budget??)

I live in a pretty clear sky area and the most useful magnification I managed with the 130EQ was about 160x, which is also pretty decent.

When at 160x magnification your biggest worry may be trying to track/follow the object you're observing.

You will not get as good visual (eye) views as with a larger scope.

But all are pretty good starts.

There are quite a few forum members here using 127 and 130 Celestron Reflectors and they may be able to give you more relevant and current feedback.

Clear skies!
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Why does it have to be Celestron? You should gun for a 8" Dob with the money you're willing to spend on a pokey refractor like those mentioned. You're not going to be doing astrophotography so that's one strong reason to go for aperture on an easy-to-use mount. Plus, you won't be ridden on price anyway by buying 'just Celestron' - there is a wealth of nice refractors and reflectors out there - shop around!

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

By far and away, the Skywatcher 200p dobsonian is the most highly recommended scope that I've seen in response to this question on other boards.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been really helpful.

I appreciate all ye’re help.

I guess I was being a bit narrowed minded just focusing on the Celestron telescopes, there’s a lot more available than I thought.

The Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian telescope seems like a fairly good buy and at a reasonable price. But, in the long run, would I be better going with the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

From the 250 page:

"It is just at the limit of portability when the tube and mount are carried sepately."

A bollix to haul around, in other words.

From the 250 page:

"It is just at the limit of portability when the tube and mount are carried sepately."

A bollix to haul around, in other words.

Yeah i saw that, which is a fairly big disadvantage. In terms of what you can see, would there be a major difference between the 8" and the 10"? Would the 8" be sufficient for viewing plants and deep space objects in okish detail? Or would it be worth it getting the 10” and struggle a bit with the size?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have a 200dob like the one in the link but its a goto. To be honest its a complete arse to carry around and is very heavy and awkward. The 250 will be worse. Following advice from peterako I have gotten some series views of Jupiter and others with that 200 scope. 250 will be better but as its quite big it will be a challenge even to set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Tzetze wrote: »
    By far and away, the Skywatcher 200p dobsonian is the most highly recommended scope that I've seen in response to this question on other boards.
    Funnily enough I was looking at one of these (Auto tracking one)on Teleskop-Express but I think now that I will get something a little smaller first. Am drawn to the Skywatcher Skymax-90 SynScan GoTo Maksutov 90/1250mm
    also from Teleskop-express

Would be interested in hearing what anybody else thinks of it

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was looking at one of these (Auto tracking one)on Teleskop-Express but I think now that I will get something a little smaller first. Am drawn to the Skywatcher Skymax-90 SynScan GoTo Maksutov 90/1250mm
    also from Teleskop-express

Would be interested in hearing what anybody else thinks of it
    The first one has about three times more light gathering power than the second, way better. The second one is small. Since I got a goto scope I will always buy them in the future and thats what I would recommend but if you want to get a manual scope you could get an 8 inch scope cheapish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I'd go for 7x50 binoculars, they're cheap, don't weigh a ton and they're instinctively pointable.
    If you're anything like me, it'd take you hours to find anything with expensive kit.
    Why not buy a microscope, you wont freeze to death and you'll get far more use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

For starters I would go for 10 x 50 binoculars, then look around for a suitable scope to upgrade to. Choose one that suits your viewing habits. If you are more likely to be mobile get a more easily transportable scope. If you are building your own observatory you can get something bigger and more technical.

Celestron make good scopes but they are not the only ones. Shop around and take a look at what is available. Read about them, ask what they can do etc etc. Only get one when you are ready for it. Otherwise you may find you wasted money on something you do not need or can not use.

Get one of these and I will be around to give you a personal discussion :

http://www.gadgetytech.com/2010/01/09/orions-monster-dobsonian-telescope-will-be-the-talk-of-your-backyard-cookout/

^^^ Nice and the eye piece is only 16 foot off the ground:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well it gets you a bit closer to what you are looking at LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

I (sometimes) use a 12" GSO Dob, and it is a right pain to move around. The reality is that I usually end up setting up the LX10 8" SCT, or often lately, an ETX70, cos its so easy.

Remember, the best telescope is the one you will use the most, so if you are not keen on dragging big dobs around, it will end up collecting dust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Kersh wrote: »
    I (sometimes) use a 12" GSO Dob, and it is a right pain to move around. The reality is that I usually end up setting up the LX10 8" SCT, or often lately, an ETX70, cos its so easy.

Remember, the best telescope is the one you will use the most, so if you are not keen on dragging big dobs around, it will end up collecting dust!!
    That is exactly why I have switched from the bigger dob to the goto scope, I had an ETX70 and used it a fair bit until it broke, whereas I sold on the 6" reflector I had because I didn't use it that much and it took up too much room in the house

Advertisement