Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when the 2nd whv isnt an option

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

i will be 32 when my first whv expires. i just want to ask what options are available to me when the first expires
    is it a case of arriving over, findng work and doing your utmost to get sponsorship,if its not forthcoming then try and find another place for 6 months and do your hardest to get that elusive sponsorship?

and if sponsorship fails, are there any other ways i can stay in the country and work, legally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

How did u get the first year? Cut off point is 31. Oh and u can apply for the second year 3 months into ur first if uve done the reginol. Just turns ur 1 year into a 2 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

i got my first one a month before my 31st birthday. i leave for oz in 7 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Do you know any Australians that might marry you?

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

There is of course living illegally and working for cash, not recommended but always a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Get an Australian girlfriend :) Was talking to an English girl the other day who has an Aussie boyfriend and is on her 2nd working holiday visa and she is applying for defacto now. She said that you dont need to be living together for 1 year, just as long as you can prove that you have been going out for one year, and that you are now living together. Not sure if that is an old wives tail or not, but that's what she said. She also said that there is a new type of relationship visa out now that doesnt even require living together, and that her friend got that through her boyfriend despite only going out with him for 3 months at the time of applying. Again, just what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know if its possible to get a visitor visa when your whv is up?
    (too old for 2nd WHV):)

04072511 wrote: »
    Not sure if that is an old wives tail or not, but that's what she said. She also said that there is a new type of relationship visa out now that doesnt even require living together, and that her friend got that through her boyfriend despite only going out with him for 3 months at the time of applying. Again, just what I heard.
    Sounds like a stretch to me if a visa exists its on the immigration website there are no word of mouth visas. I reckon they claimed a few extra months.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

go home?
    come back legally on a work visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Is it definitely the case that you can't get a 2nd year WHV if your 32? I thought they were pretty lax on this as long as you completed your regional??

Why would you think that Elliot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MikeMacca wrote: »
    i will be 32 when my first whv expires.
    Go over, do the regional work early.
    You can apply for the 2nd before your first expires. Its granted, you can stay for 24 months.
    04072511 wrote: »
    Get an Australian girlfriend :) Was talking to an English girl the other day who has an Aussie boyfriend and is on her 2nd working holiday visa and she is applying for defacto now. She said that you dont need to be living together for 1 year, just as long as you can prove that you have been going out for one year, and that you are now living together.

That's not quite true.
    A DeFacto application on a 457 visa doesn't have a time requirement for living together.
    A DF on a PR visa as a requirement of 12 months. It's one of the conditions.
    A DF on a australian citizens visa is even stricter. They ask for a lot of evidence.

There is a way to by pass the 12 month requirement, and that is to register the relationship with the state registrar. However, that only remove the 12 month requirement. You still need to prove that is a DeFacto relationship. Contrary to pub talk, Defacto means a bit more that simply going-out.

Advertisement