Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this switch (again)

• 17-01-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys... seems like another switch has failed on that circuit I posted about here a few months ago...

It has two pins, one switch at the top, and the switch pops back up immediately when I push it in..

switch2.jpg

(apologies about the images, I just cant get decent images with this phone)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pyromania

it looks like an overload .is it off a motor,or compressor .anyplace that rewinds motors should have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

pyromania wrote: »
    it looks like an overload .is it off a motor,or compressor .anyplace that rewinds motors should have one

It's off a system for pumping water from a well.. what exactly would it's likely function be in this scenario?

I've tested this with my multimeter and it seems to maintain continuity whether pushed down or released. Is this normal behaviour?? (I think it might be broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

It's off a system for pumping water from a well.. what exactly would it's likely function be in this scenario?

I've tested this with my multimeter and it seems to maintain continuity whether pushed down or released. Is this normal behaviour?? (I think it might be broken)

yeah its fried. when you check it with the meter it should not buzz when released and only buzz when pressed down.
    its a make or break

yeah its fried. when you check it with the meter it should not buzz when released and only buzz when pressed down. its a make or break

thanks.. I'll take it out and confirm that it stills behaves like this..

See I replaced a damaged rocker switch a few months back, and it's been working fine ever since... This week, there was a leak in the bathroom so I shut off the power to the system.. fixed the leak but when I switched the power back on (that's all I did), it worked for a second but then seemed to trip.. I reseated the connections on the rocker switch, it came on again, and then after a few seconds tripped again.. Literally all I did was switch it off at the wall and now it's not working.

The rocker switch has two sets of on/off pins.. one set connected to the circuit and one set connected to the overload switch.. Could I just disconnect the overload switch and see if it stays on...

(I'll try and draw a diagram of it)..

switch_overload.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement