Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08/09 Superb 1.9TDI vs 08 Accord 2.2 i-DTEC

• 17-01-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, I'm before hard decision which car should I buy. All my life I drove only VAG cars (Golf, Passat, A6, SuperB), all diesel with 1.9TDI engines. I was very happy with the cars and with the 1.9 TDI engine. I didn't have much problems with my previous cars, and all of them had around 300K-350K miles on the clock before I sold them.
    At the moment I'm looking at 08/09 Skoda SuperB 1.9TDI and 08 Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC. I know SuperB from the previous model and I know that will be good strong car with bulletproof 1.9 engine, but I like Accord also, and maybe it's time for some different car.
    My question is: Does 08 Accord 2.2 i-DTEC will be good strong car, and won't give much troubles over 4-5 years period? Are there any know problems with Accord 2.2 diesel? Does Accord diesel engine hold 300k miles and will still run? What about electric/electronic problems-I heard something about common VSA light problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

ironderek wrote: »
    Hi, I'm before hard decision which car should I buy. All my life I drove only VAG cars (Golf, Passat, A6, SuperB), all diesel with 1.9TDI engines. I was very happy with the cars and with the 1.9 TDI engine. I didn't have much problems with my previous cars, and all of them had around 300K-350K miles on the clock before I sold them.
    At the moment I'm looking at 08/09 Skoda SuperB 1.9TDI and 08 Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC. I know SuperB from the previous model and I know that will be good strong car with bulletproof 1.9 engine, but I like Accord also, and maybe it's time for some different car.
    My question is: Does 08 Accord 2.2 i-DTEC will be good strong car, and won't give much troubles over 4-5 years period? Are there any know problems with Accord 2.2 diesel? Does Accord diesel engine hold 300k miles and will still run? What about electric/electronic problems-I heard something about common VSA light problem?
    The 1.9TDi is a very old and outdated engine now. It is reliable however. The Accord is also a reliable car, and you're no more likely to encounter problems with an Accord than a Superb. You looking at the new model Accord? They came in late 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jpaulb

One couple I know brought an Accord and they are very happy with it.
    The guy who sold it to them has sold several Accords and has never had any ones coming back or giving trouble.
    A taxi driver I know is now on his 2nd Accord and said they are a good car.
    They are a more comfortable car than the Superb as I have traveled in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

Thank for the reply. Yes I'll be looking for new Accord shape (Accord VIII) late 2008, early 2009. I know that 1.9 TDI engine it's old outdated engine, but like I said it's bulletproof compare to the new 2.0 140bhp (common problems with oil pump).
    The Accord will be definitely much advanced modern car compare to the SuperB. But because it's more advanced (more electronic on it) I'm afraid it could be more problematic - I don't know that's why I'm asking if there are any common problems with Accord 2.2 i-DTEC? Also I found that parts are more expensive for Accord than for Superb-for example clutch kit+DMFW for Superb cost abou 600euro, to same set for Accord 1400euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Thank for the reply. Yes I'll be looking for new Accord shape (Accord VIII) late 2008, early 2009. I know that 1.9 TDI engine it's old outdated engine, but like I said it's bulletproof compare to the new 2.0 140bhp (common problems with oil pump).
    The Accord will be definitely much advanced modern car compare to the SuperB. But because it's more advanced (more electronic on it) I'm afraid it could be more problematic - I don't know that's why I'm asking if there are any common problems with Accord 2.2 i-DTEC? Also I found that parts are more expensive for Accord than for Superb-for example clutch kit+DMFW for Superb cost abou 600euro, to same set for Accord 1400euro.

If you can find a CR140 Superb it might be a good option, afaik some of the early new models had the old PD140 engine. You might be able to find a CR170 as they seem to have been as popular as the 140s.

I personally would go with the Accord. The new model is a rarer car on these shores. Seems like everywhere you turn there is a new Superb these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Parts for the Accord will be pricier alright, but you may need less of them! Try test driving both. At the end of the day, you can have problems with any car. Life's too short to be worrying too much about what might be! Pick the one you like the most, enjoy it. If something happens, deal with it, if not, happy days. They're both very reliable cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

EPM wrote: »
    If you can find a CR140 Superb it might be a good option, afaik some of the early new models had the old PD140 engine. You might be able to find a CR170 as they seem to have been as popular as the 140s.

I personally would go with the Accord. The new model is a rarer car on these shores. Seems like everywhere you turn there is a new Superb these days.

I think the 140 version was not available with the CR engine until last year?

If the OP goes for the 170 engine he/she won't have to worry - that version has been using the CR engine ever since the current model Superb came out!

Ok, but like i said look at the Audi or Vw forums and you will see how people who have 2.0 TDI or CR engines cry. It doesn't matter if it's 140bhp or 170bhp still to same problems-oil pump!!! Thats why I don't won't go near that 2.0 diesel engine, I prefer old 1.9(1.9 doesn't have DPF filter) or the new 1.6 engine on VAG cars.
    I like Accord but I don't know much about this car and its problems if it has any.

The CR don't have oil pump problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

EPM wrote: »
    The CR don't have oil pump problems.

Are you sure??

I checked ETKA and 2.0 CR 140 bhp and 170bhp has to same oil pump. People usually has problem with it between 100-200k. The new pump cost 1000euro plus job, of course if you lucky and you switched off your engine at right time, otherwise you will have to replace also turbo, crankshaft ect. sometimes even engine.

• Advertisement

I thought someone said here recently that only certain models suffered from the oil pump problem, and that VW in the UK at least were recalling models with the affected oil pum, and fixing them for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I thought someone said here recently that only certain models suffered from the oil pump problem, and that VW in the UK at least were recalling models with the affected oil pum, and fixing them for free?

There was actually another thread about that earlier today funnily enough. I have not heard of that recall though. I have been told that all of the 2.0 units are affected.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    There was actually another thread about that earlier today funnily enough. I have not heard of that recall though. I have been told that all of the 2.0 units are affected.

Yes this is true, there was no any oil pump replace action, and unfortunately all 2.0 diesel VAG engines suffer with that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the injectors on the 2.0 PD engine that has a recall.

FWIW I'd have the Accord. The old shape Superb is outdated being based on the Passat that went on sale 16 years ago.

CR's are giving oil pump problems? I though this was just associated with transversley mounted PDs?

I'm not talking about old shape SuperB 3U 2002-2008. I talking about new shape SuperB 3T from 2008 up to now with 1.9 TDI PD engine or new shape Accord VIII 2.2 i-DTEC
    All 2.0 diesel VAG engines(140bhp and 170bhp) from 2005 up to now PD or CR has to same faulty oil pump-check ETKA. They modified that 2.0 diesel engine in 2008 but still left inside that faulty oil pump.

To go back to what the OP was originally asking about, I don't think any modern diesel (even a Honda) would be as reliable as a 1.9 TDI. Yes by todays standards it is outdated but that's exactly why it is such a good engine - it is very simple relatively speaking but it can still be tuned to make it decently quick (not as quick as TDI heads think they are, but quick enough all the same).

I don't see a Honda Accord diesel, or any of the modern common rail diesels getting to 300,000 miles the way an old school 1.9 TDI would without developing serious problems.

Advertisement