Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber flooring/Carpets

• 17-01-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey all.

I have a bedroom with a carpet. The carpet is in alright condition. i was thinking of putting down a laminated timber floor surface. Have any of ye any expieience in making the switch. I hear with a timber floor it gives off a cold feel to the room. Any pros or cons that might help me decide . thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Realistically a laminate floor is much easier to keep clean then carpet, If you don't like the laminate you can always get a big rug to put down.
    It will soften the echoes you get in a hard surfaced room as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

This is something I'm also thinking of doing. A friend of mine changed from carpet to laminated timber-look flooring and is very happy with it. In fairness, the carpets were old and dark, so anything would have been an improvement! Anyway, the new flooring is a light, but warm, colour and doesn't feel particularly cold underfoot and makes the rooms seem larger and brighter. It's also much more hygienic and easy to clean if you have messy kids or pets :), which is the main attraction for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daithiard

It really depends what you want it for. I work in a carpet and wood shop if you want to dm for some advice. Wood floor tends to clean simply because you tend to clean it more often as dust etc are more apparent, often the issues that come from carpet are down to having a poor quality vacuum or just being not clean as often. Laminate can work out cheaper if you fit it yourself, otherwise carpets tend to be cheaper. If you were going to go for a timber floor / laminate, go for one with a bevel or 4 groove, they age much better, and generally are a little easier fit for not a lot more money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its all great when putting down timber or laminate flooring in upstairs bedrooms,but alot of people forget one very important thing......................................

What if I need to get access to the floor/ceiling below for a bit of plumbing,or a leak or pulling in a new cable?????

The entire wooden/laminate floor has to be ripped up and then its scrap.
    So straight away,you habve the extra expense of a new floor and a carpenters/floor fitters fees aswell.

At least a carpet and under lay can be take up/rolled up out of the way to gain access to the floor boards and ceiling space below.

So have a good think about that aswell.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Reilly88
    I have two bedrooms with laminate flooring. Great job. I used a foiled underlay under floor, it's very warm.The lamiate I used was quick clip type and can be easily taken up if anything happens under floor.
    You will find when you lay it, the bed takes up a nice bit of room on the floor. I bought a nice mat and that makes the room look warm.
    NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its all great when putting down timber or laminate flooring in upstairs bedrooms,but alot of people forget one very important thing......................................

What if I need to get access to the floor/ceiling below for a bit of plumbing,or a leak or pulling in a new cable?????

The entire wooden/laminate floor has to be ripped up and then its scrap.
    So straight away,you habve the extra expense of a new floor and a carpenters/floor fitters fees aswell.

At least a carpet and under lay can be take up/rolled up out of the way to gain access to the floor boards and ceiling space below.

So have a good think about that aswell.

Regards.

Good advice. If you have any expectation that you need to rewire/replumb do not lay a floor first.

I also have had issues with cupping and swelling on a solid wood floor laid by a so-called professional. If a floor ever swells there's pretty much no way back. You might be alright with laminate in that regard.

Advertisement