Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it wrong that I'm warming to Mrs Browns Boys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Terrible, terrible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

1.6 million views on this clip alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YtKtcedZzY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Its mediocre, but its not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    a man dressed in drag shouting expletives does not shout original comedy to me.

This, my friend, is where we differ.

There's nothing funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

You feeling the same? :o

Utter eye cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Attabear wrote: »
    This, my friend, is where we differ.

There's nothing funnier.

Actually most things are funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its the comedy equivalent of cracking a nut with a sledgehammer...absolutely no subtlety to it at all

he must sit down before every episode and decide how many effs willys and fannys can i cram in this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I scoffed and scorned it, and then by accident started watching it before Christmas, and have come to appreciate the sharp wit and in jokes of O'Carroll and Co.

Absolutely brilliant humour. Second to none. Glad to hear you're warming to it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

1.6 million views on this clip alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YtKtcedZzY

Says it all. Yes it's rude. Yes it's crude. But it's not like the pretentious claptrap that masquerades as comedy noways. Go Brendan. Ya legend!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It's bad but nowhere near as bad as Katherine Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I get a laff out of it, but it wears thin after a few episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Let's face it. Brendan just needed an excuse to wear drag in public without getting weird looks about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I have a certain respect for how he's managed to get a sweet deal with the BBC.
    It's a weird, weird experience to watch it - kinda hard to believe that it actually exists in real life.
    It "breaks down the 4th wall" by talking to the camera and, even more confusing, Mrs Brown talks to us about the BBC filming her family. Messes with my head.
    One or two funny lines alright, but as I say, hard to believe it actually exists on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Actually most things are funnier.

Name one thing funnier than a man in drag shouting expletives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I flick on to it now and then, sometimes I crack a faint hint of a smile but I never laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I love it. It makes me laugh which is what comedy is supposed to do. It may be rude and crude but actually Mrs. Brown is a dead ringer for my friend's mother! So bring it on and f**k the begruders who think comedy must be "edgy". I don't care about edgy I just want a laugh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Serious question: Is this **** meant to be funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

a man dressed in drag shouting expletives does not shout original comedy to me. mrs brown is basically the only character on the show, as she basically interrupts anything interesting that any other character may have to say, and this is supposed to be interpreted as funny. was forced to watch an episode. won't watch it again.

That's nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I love it. It makes me laugh which is what comedy is supposed to do. It may be rude and crude but actually Mrs. Brown is a dead ringer for my friend's mother! So bring it on and f**k the begruders who think comedy must be "edgy". I don't care about edgy I just want a laugh:D
    Some people merely don't find it funny - they're not begrudging anyone or anything, and they don't necessarily think comedy should be edgy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

I fuc*in hate Mrs Browns Boys and Brendan O Carroll, but I was watching a few minutes the last day just to see how sh*t it was and I lold a couple of times, was disgusted with myself but there are a few gems in there the odd time it seems.
    With you there op.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Some people merely don't find it funny - they're not begrudging anyone or anything, and they don't necessarily think comedy should be edgy,

It is hard to tell. Yesterday on twitter Dara o Braoin admitted he liked it in a reply to chris addison who said he did ( looking at the time line a lot of people agreed). What if it becomes fashionable across the water?

Me, I was expecting to dislike it, but like Friends, it raises a smile. In general I dont like unedgy comedies, but this one always has something. Mrs Brown is not really a 70's throw back - the juxtapostion of a 70's innocent family themed show with her occassional sewer mouth is what works it for me.

Its not ineundo either, not some mothers do have 'em. "She" comes out with some crackers. That may stop being amusing sometime, but its working for me now.

Also like the way they show some outtakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Judging by the viewing figures and the responses on twitter. Its going down very well in the UK. Fair play to him.

I think its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I have to say I've watched it a few times and it's not so bad.

I'm a fan of Curb and Peep Show and I know people that don't find these shows remotely funny.

So I suppose each to their own.

And as pointed out already, it seems to be getting high viewing figures in the UK, so I also say fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

sup_dude wrote: »
    That's nice :)
    I take it that's sarcasm? as in, i'm not being nice. the internet is the best place for a venomous rant, didn't you know that?

they love it over in the UK if this forum is anything to go by:cool:

(then again maybe its just the irish diaspora being patriotic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I never liked that show. I can't understand what everyone else finds so funny. The jokes don't even raise a smile on my face, but all lot of people seem to love it.:confused: Glad to see they are some people on Boards who share my strong dislike for it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

yes.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've actually never even seen it, I just thought as BO'C is the main guy it was safe to assume that it's sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Go with it OP. It's harmless fun. To anyone who doesn't like it change the channel simple as. Nobody is forcing ye to watch it. Many people I know don't like Brendan O Carroll as a comedian but love Mrs. Brown's Boys. How much comedy is completely original these days. Comedy is mostly observational and the rest is rehashed from other sketches from either the comedian themselves or from another comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I think its ok.

The british seem to find a man in drag has a certain comedic value. I dont.
    Its ok and fair play to him finding a market for jokes he was telling 15 odd years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I don't despise it as much as I thought I would, in fact, I don't despise it at all now that I think of it.

It's corny alright but if you don't like it, don't watch it.

I think some people would begrudge BO'C any kind of credit because they see him as a 'knacker'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I've watched the last 3 episodes and getting to like it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I know comedy is subjective, but that is really not funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Fair play to the man, I'll give it a watch but I doubt I'd find it funny, I just don't like that type of Irish humour he's going for. But all the haters are doing nothing while he has a show on the BBC every week!! haters gonna hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

FYP...:cool:
    List of Mensans.
    Brendan O'Carroll – Irish comedian.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mensans

well did you see it tonight...the last episode of the series, fingers crossed it will be the last ever episode

the singing finale was cringeworthy...and the cameraman mobile phone malarky was so staged/false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

tinyk68 wrote: »
    So bring it on and f**k the begruders who think comedy must be "edgy". I don't care about edgy I just want a laugh:D

Fawlty Towers wasn't edgy

Steptoe & Son wasn't edgy

Yes Minister, Rising Damp, Porridge etc.

Poorly scripted, acted and directed, O'Carrolls sensibility is plainly more suited to cruise ship / Butlins summer-season light entertainment.

There is a place for broad, innuendo-laden saucy output, but this charmless guff is anti-comedy and an execrable endeavour with nothing to redeem it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Only started looking at it too OP and I hate saying it but it makes me laugh

fryup wrote: »
    well did you see it tonight...the last episode of the series, fingers crossed it will be the last ever episode

the singing finale was cringeworthy...and the cameraman mobile phone malarky was so staged/false

The BBC have commissioned a 3rd series. Why did you watch the last episode ( or any) if you dislike it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

I like it always get a giggle out of it....harmless comedy....
    This episode where she thinks the Jesus picture is talking to her was comical...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwi5E15yWio&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yahew wrote: »
    Why did you watch the last episode ( or any) if you dislike it?

the other half insists on watching it:(

The slow motion headbutt in tonights show was hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Have watched and loved every show, except tonights, I thought it was absolutely ****e. And the singing and dancing at the end of it; wtf?
    I never liked BO'C's humour, I always found him to be very smutty but this was good.

Fawlty Towers wasn't edgy

Steptoe & Son wasn't edgy

Yes Minister, Rising Damp, Porridge etc.

Poorly scripted, acted and directed, O'Carrolls sensibility is plainly more suited to cruise ship / Butlins summer-season light entertainment.

There is a place for broad, innuendo-laden saucy output, but this charmless guff is anti-comedy and an execrable endeavour with nothing to redeem it.

Said almost as if you are an authority on comedy. The numbers are against you its going down a storm in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I heard/read somewhere that O'Carroll is doing a special for HBO ... is this true?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I watch it betimes its crude crass and funny despite it all, in fact its just a good old variety show adapted for TV, I am amused by my Real actor friends reaction to it, nearly alL negative, snobbery alive and well in the arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

BO'C is Vastly funnier on BBC than he ever was on RTE, so he's mildly amusing. Must be something eurovisionish about comedy that gets on the Late Late Show etc, that it has to be toecurlingly embassassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

woodoo wrote: »
    Said almost as if you are an authority on comedy.

Almost?

Cheek :p
    woodoo wrote: »
    The numbers are against you its going down a storm in the UK.

Sure is.

Numbers game is a rickety premise though -Jim Davidson, Roy Chubby Brown et al enjoyed huge success on network TV and DVD sales respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I scoffed and scorned it, and then by accident started watching it before Christmas, and have come to appreciate the sharp wit and in jokes of O'Carroll and Co.

I laughed at something on it tonight. Mrs. Brown trying to ordering "Pageone" (Page One) from the Italian. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Nah, its not wrong at all - think a lot of people wouldn't watch it because of BOC, then accidentally watch it and end up enjoying it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement