Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford airport to start upgrading runaway?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

"On 05 December 2011 the airport will start the first phase of upgrading the runway with a complete resurface and grooving of the existing runway surface"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford_Airport

So is this true? - is the runaway starting to be fully upgraded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Define "fully upgraded" If you mean extended and widened to A320/B737 standard then no. But if you mean the present runway then yes. New asphalt surface to replace the tarmac that was there before and fully grooved which allows it to dry alot quicker thus increasing aircraft reliabilty/productivity. All new runway lighting i believe aswell..quite an investment. May need to wait a few years more for the extension though i'm afraid. In saying that Flybe the new airline which annouced flight to Birmingham have brand new 88 seat jets being delievered to them now which could operate from the present setup...though might need a couple of extra metres to get them to spain..who knows what will happen..looking positive though for the immediate future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

RobitTV wrote: »
    "On 05 December 2011 the airport will start the first phase of upgrading the runway with a complete resurface and grooving of the existing runway surface"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford_Airport

So is this true? - is the runaway starting to be fully upgraded?

there has been extensive work done on the airport at night in recent weeks and at weekends, they are working around the clock it seems. I drive past here most nights and see them doing the work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Define "fully upgraded" If you mean extended and widened to A320/B737 standard then no. But if you mean the present runway then yes. New asphalt surface to replace the tarmac that was there before and fully grooved which allows it to dry alot quicker thus increasing aircraft reliabilty/productivity. All new runway lighting i believe aswell..quite an investment. May need to wait a few years more for the extension though i'm afraid. In saying that Flybe the new airline which annouced flight to Birmingham have brand new 88 seat jets being delievered to them now which could operate from the present setup...though might need a couple of extra metres to get them to spain..who knows what will happen..looking positive though for the immediate future.

It would be interesting to see some jet aircraft at waterford such as the new 88 seat jets Flybe have ordered, that would be cool.

but they might use the dash 8, who knows hey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

RobitTV wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see some jet aircraft at waterford such as the new 88 seat jets Flybe have ordered, that would be cool.

I'd be certain they'd be using the Q400.

I think the new jets are Embraers aren't they? I still think they'd need a bigger and wider runway than we have at present - well at least if they wanted to carry anyone!

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

forgive my ignorance here everyone, I don't know too much about the subject matter, but would it not make more sense in widening and lengthening the runway now, while work is ongoing in case of future expansion and have it done rather than doing it bit by bit?

Is it a case of funding not being available or is it a cautious approach in case it wouldn't be needed? Like I say, I'm only curious, so smart-Alec's need not reply! :D

• Advertisement

batm!ke wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance here everyone, I don't know too much about the subject matter, but would it not make more sense in widening and lengthening the runway now, while work is ongoing in case of future expansion and have it done rather than doing it bit by bit?

Is it a case of funding not being available or is it a cautious approach in case it wouldn't be needed? Like I say, I'm only curious, so smart-Alec's need not reply! :D

A lengthened runway and new terminal was approved in 2007, but the funding was cut a couple of years ago.

As far as I'm aware the airport has already bought the land for expansion but the significant runway and apron work will have to wait.

'tis a pity it wasn't done when the money was flowing, but hey-ho.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

'tis a pity it wasn't done when the money was flowing, but hey-ho.

Or a pity there is no rich Waterford Philanthropist that would like an airport named after them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dougal wrote: »
    Or a pity there is no rich Waterford Philanthropist that would like an airport named after them!:)

I've always thought that myself. If I won the Lotto (well maybe more like the EuroMillions), I'd ring the airport and see what I could do. Did I hear right that the figure would be about €10-15 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

fricatus wrote: »
    I've always thought that myself. If I won the Lotto (well maybe more like the EuroMillions), I'd ring the airport and see what I could do. Did I hear right that the figure would be about €10-15 million?

I Would aswell, id contact them asap to see if i could help.

and yeah 10-15 million is about the figure, id happily contribute that to keep 630 people in jobs and create 100's of more jobs.

though might need a couple of extra metres to get them to spain...

what do you mean by this? not being smart, I just don't understand, are planes physical distance range restricted by the runway it takes of from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

what do you mean by this? not being smart, I just don't understand, are planes physical distance range restricted by the runway it takes of from...
    extra distance = extra fuel = extra weight = extra take off distance needed

They can be, yes, as the amount of fuel, passengers and cargo can be varied based on the available runway length (and wind etc.). There are also restrictions in case of having to return to the airport in an emergency.

A good example is the A318 on BA001 from London City to New York, it takes off with a low fuel load partly due to the restricted runway and then refuels at Shannon.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pardon my ignorance on the finer details of avaition and runway design, but are we essentially talking about laying tarmac in the same way we might see a new section of road being built or widened?

If there is a business case for doing this, and obviously a return on investment, surely it should be a fairly simple task to raise the funds?

Or is it the case that widening the runway etc. would be unlikely to result in any extra business arriving to the airport?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance on the finer details of avaition and runway design, but are we essentially talking about laying tarmac in the same way we might see a new section of road being built or widened?

If there is a business case for doing this, and obviously a return on investment, surely it should be a fairly simple task to raise the funds?

Or is it the case that widening the runway etc. would be unlikely to result in any extra business arriving to the airport?

There was a thread on this a while back. It's not just the wider and longer runway, there were plans for an upgrade to instrument landing systems, larger and stronger parking areas, lighting etc. plus a new terminal building to cater for 1m passengers a year. I think the total spend was c. €27m.

I think the benefits case probably rested on the economic lift to the SE region as a whole, rather than additional traffic for the sake of it.

SSE

There was a thread on this a while back. It's not just the wider and longer runway, there were plans for an upgrade to instrument landing systems, larger and stronger parking areas, lighting etc. plus a new terminal building to cater for 1m passengers a year. I think the total spend was c. €27m.

I think the benefits case probably rested on the economic lift to the SE region as a whole, rather than additional traffic for the sake of it.

SSE

Ok, thanks. Out of interest was this report carried out recently or a number of years back? I expect you'd shave quite a lot off cost estimates carried out 3-4 years ago even.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. Out of interest was this report carried out recently or a number of years back? I expect you'd shave quite a lot off cost estimates carried out 3-4 years ago even.

Sorry I don't know the details (no connection at all, but interested), but I assume it would have been done in the mid-naughties as the upgrade was approved in 2007 I think.

SSE

They can be, yes, as the amount of fuel, passengers and cargo can be varied based on the available runway length (and wind etc.). There are also restrictions in case of having to return to the airport in an emergency.

A good example is the A318 on BA001 from London City to New York, it takes off with a low fuel load partly due to the restricted runway and then refuels at Shannon.

SSE

yeah I just read about this now, they do the US immigration at shannon aswell. understand now

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

fricatus wrote: »

10 to 15 million would be money well spent if it ment bringing bigger planes with more destinations for the people of the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

They will be using the Dash 8 on the new BHX route but the runway could in its present form handle the new 88 seat Embraer 175 jets that Flybe are currently aquiring. The Dash 8 would be far more economical that the jet with only ten seats less (78 seater) It is fact the fastest turboprop available with cruisings speeds close to that of the slower jets. And for short hops to the uk there would be little if no difference in flight time. Flybe dash 8 are all quite new about 5 years old. The dash 8 would not have the range to get the south of spain so thats where the E175 might come into play. Doutbful though it would be economical for sun flights when put up against Ryanair 737-800s (189 seats) from Cork. But as i said earlier ..you never know!
    I think the new jets are Embraers aren't they? I still think they'd need a bigger and wider runway than we have at present - well at least if they wanted to carry anyone

Yes they are Embraers..but there are 2 models being aquired by Flybe the E195 (118 Seats) and the smaller E175 (88 Seats). The E175 is the one i'm talking about for WAT. Though the larger one is flying from London City airport which has Rwy dimensions almost identical to Waterford. But these are short 1 hour business routes. Not Joe Soap and the Missus laden down with suitcases going on a 2.5 hour flight to Malaga.
    As far as I'm aware the airport has already bought the land for expansion but the significant runway and apron work will have to wait.

Not sure if the land is bought yet...you could be right though!

Yes and No..the physical runway is just a strip of tar but alot more material needs to go into it to ensure its strong enough to withstand the weight of a 60 ton piece of metal falling on it at 150mph!! But there is also alot of extras that go with it..landing systems, flight checking, lighting, surveying, etc

Off you go then...let us know how you get on!

The runway has to be widened, lenghtened and strenghted for it to accept Large jet aircraft like Ryanair or AerLingus.
    10 to 15 million would be money well spent if it ment bringing bigger planes with more destinations for the people of the south east.

Hear hear...the benefits to the region would far outweigh the costs. But we're just going to have to wait and hope the airport can stay afloat long enough until the government or the local philantropist sees sense!!

Off you go then...let us know how you get on!

If the folks at Waterford Airport reckon they can afford my services then by all means - I'm open to offers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement