Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overrated fighters? who's yours and why.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hatton is underrated IMO.

He gave prime Mayweather his hardest fight apart from DLH.

WHICH ROUND DID HE WIN????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

efb wrote: »
    WHICH ROUND DID HE WIN????

Are you honestly trying to tell me Mayweather dominated the first five rounds?

He held like a lovesick octopus in that timeframe and with any fair referee would probably have been disqualified (Henry Akinwande was DQ'd for less v Lennox Lewis).

If he was so dominant why did he need to hold so much?

Tunney's point is quite valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

cowzerp wrote: »
    I do think hatton is underrated now because he was overrated when he was doing well-losing to 2 of the era's lb for lb greats is expected in reality and no shame in it-he was not legendary great but was a very good fighter

I will remember him fondly, as a fightervand as an entertainer as I always loved watching him.

I genuinely didn't see that. The British media will always blow **** out of all proportion and shouldn't be thought of as holding a valid opinion on the matter. But for Joe public? I think given his popularity it was more hope than expectation that people had when he took to the ring against Mayweather. Patriotism might have blurred that distinction for the less knowledgeable British fight fan but i think the general consensus at the time was Hattons a good fighter who might find Floyd too hot to handle. Deserves his chance none the less. Better fighters would find Mayweather too hot to handle, doesn't make them all overrated in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

megadodge wrote: »
    Are you honestly trying to tell me Mayweather dominated the first five rounds?

He held like a lovesick octopus in that timeframe and with any fair referee would probably have been disqualified (Henry Akinwande was DQ'd for less v Lennox Lewis).

If he was so dominant why did he need to hold so much?

Tunney's point is quite valid.

The ref had a shocker that night alright. Not just Floyds holding but all the elbows to the face and then he docked Hatton:confused::confused::confused: I lost a load of respect for PBF that night. To me that wasn't him being a defensive genius, that was just him being a cheat with the aid of a bought ref. It took the sheen off a very good display in the second half of the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The ref had a shocker that night alright.

Cortez was-is a joke of a referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Ricky made tough work of Lazcano and Malignaggi was never going to trouble him so while getting knocked out by two legends has no shame in it, he never really tested himself in the division either.

He's like Haye, he rode the British hype train right to the top without having to take out any of the contenders along the way.

Nothing against him, very interesting fighter to watch but in hingsight he was a good boxer not a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To the Hatton-Foyd fight. Cortez was a sham in that fight. Many times he warned Hatton for holding when it was Floyd who was holding. Also, he told Ricky NOT to hit Floyd when Floyd illegally dipped below the waist. Unreal stuff. Either way I think Floyd still wins, but any chance Hatton had to succeed in the fight was scuppered by a sham referee. Hatton was fighting two men that night.

The fight itself was close for the first few rds. Floyd looked far from dominant. Hatton didn't look great, and towards the end he really was exposed. He seemed to fold rather easily at the end. But, it was far from a dominant Floyd throughout. Hatton's main issue was his poor defence, and his over enthusiasm. But, that over enthusiasm probably became more apparent and needed because Ricky knew that Cortez was not going to him any favours, and was most likely going to shaft him any chance he got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Prime Hatton would spark Khan IMO. Peterson and Maidana nearly did the job; Hatton's pressure is a lot more effective, more relentless.

Prime Hatton would spark Khan IMO. Peterson and Maidana nearly did the job; Hatton's pressure is a lot more effective, more relentless.

I don't see a sparking at all. Could well wear him out and stop him late, but Hatton will eat a lot of leather in the process. Hatton did not have one punch KO power, Khan was the far better boxer, much faster, and as fit as a fiddle.

So, where is this sparking? I can see Ricky getting hit a hell of a lot here, with very fast shots, with decent pop. Don't rule out cuts either. Analyse the men Hatton beat and how he did it. Look at the clearly past it and smaller Castillo, who went 4 rds with Hatton. I cannot see how the clearly bigger, fresher and far faster Khan won't do a deal better than Castillo.

If Hatton was a heavy hitter I could well see him do the trick. Hatton relies mostly on wearing an opponent down, and Khan has showed that he is very very fit. Hatton would need long and sustained body attacks to do this. I cannot see Khan allowing this. On the bike, and also, hitting Ricky at will a lot of the time. Khan trades and stays in range and lets Hatton in close too much, the fight swings to Hatton.

Eamon MaGee went the route, Lazcano, Vince Phillips and several others. Khan is three inches taller with a sizable reach advantage too.

I think this is a fight Khan could well win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

i'd also rate armstrongs achievement of holding 3 proper world titles at 126, 135 and 147 at same time as being better than pacman winning 7 phoney world titles

back then the title meant something

now titles mean nothing with 4 main organisations and so many weights and not only that now there's 'super champs' and 'champion emeritus' and 'international champ'....WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

now its more about the fighters and the good matches, noone cares if its for a title!!

greedy ****ing promoters and boxing organisations

exactly you got it down to a t when a world title holder was really a world champion

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

julio cesar chazez jr,

its a disgrace to boxing how protected he is and bob arum should be ashamed of trying to promote him off his fathers name. Will never beat a legit middleweight. ie martinez, williams etc

Amir Kahn

Great speed to compete at the top but is promoted in such a way that people are trying to pass the candle to him when pacman retires, got pushed to the limit by maidana, drew with peterson in my opinion when people said he would win easy and will be knocked out at welterweight soon enough, I think when he finds his level at welterweight which will be top five imo, and thats only in that division not p4p. berto , ortiz, mayweather ,pacman, and even kell brook could make it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I'd say Chavez Jr too.

Good inside fighter but limited apart from that. Getting by on huge weight advantages and handy fights at the moment.

Marcos Maidana is another overrated fighter in eyes. Limited skills and his power is overestimated too. Barely beat a way, way past it Morales, Khan handled him fairly easily apart from one or two scares. Only Ortiz decided to give up against him we'd still barely have heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jeff lacy was the most over rated fighter I can think of in the last 10 years, below average and beats a shed load of cans and they talk him up as the real deal

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Lacy was the next Tyson according to many. Calzaghe, your favourite, Paul, exposed him badly. Lacy's best win was over a faded Robin Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

going to reserve judgement on david lemieux; 2 straight losses, was he overhyped? couple more fights we will see.

similarly with lucian bute who has created his own hype machine, and fair play to him he has done so successfully what bernard dunne should have done, racked up several easy wins in his own backyard in front of thousands - lets see him vs andre ward et al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I'm the third person to say Julio Cesar Chavez Junior. How in the hell do you go 45 fights without getting multiple world titles? SMH.

His last fight was boring too, too busy cuddling up to this opponent and moving him around the ring that way. Appearently the WBC have made it mandatory for him to face Sergio Martinez, that will be a good fight ;)

I think Arthur Abraham was really being hyped up until Ward and Dirrell and Froch fought him. AA is quite one dimensional, stiff, robotic. Not at all fluid and effortless. Good power, and tough, but not a greta boxer by any stretch.

As to Bute. From what I have seen he certainly looks the part. Lovely feet, balance, and combinations. Let's see how he fares when up against someone a little better than a Brian MaGee.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

walshb wrote: »

As to Bute. From what I have seen he certainly looks the part. Lovely feet, balance, and combinations. Let's see how he fares when up against someone a little better than a Brian MaGee.;)

Fully agree, he looks the part, plenty of variety. But that can be easy vs lesser men. Can't wait to see him in a decent fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Arthur Abraham was definitely found out, but i think he has to be commended for coming outside of Germany.

I've always thought Johnny Nelson was very much over rated. Extremely difficult fighter to watch.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Arthur Abraham was definitely found out, but i think he has to be commended for coming outside of Germany.

I've always thought Johnny Nelson was very much over rated. Extremely difficult fighter to watch.

Like all Ingle trained fighters. Posers and messers. Herol Graham was even more difficult to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement