Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 tactical

Options
  • 17-01-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi guys, Im wondering could you get a licence for a 20 tactical in the south. Would you have to prove to the gardai that you were able to import rounds from NI or would they out right refuse it as factory ammo is not available for it. thanks in advance john

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is licenseable. (if thats a word)

Ammo would be your own "problem". Importing from the North is not an issue if you have the appropriate paperwork, but could become a pain to do each time you need ammo. Also as a varmint caliber your ammo allowance on your license may not be large enough to be cost effective from the point of view that if you can buy say 500 - 1000 rounds at a bulk price, but only have 100 - 200 on your license it could be a case of running out of ammo and having to import time and again 100 -200 at a time.

There are a few wildcat calibers already being used so i see no reason why you would not get a license for one, but to address your concern the Gardai would not be too interested in where you get your ammo so long as its done right. Your local FO will get a copy of the import forms from the DoJ each time you import anyway.

A handy tip though. When you buy from a southern dealer your purchase is recorded under your license but with importing its bought/imported through your license, but not necessarily recorded. So make sure you keep records of all amo imports/purchases for renewal of your license. I done this years ago when i first started to import HPS ammo myself. For one year my license showed no record of buying ammo in the south, but i had actually imported over a 1,000 rounds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

There is a fantastic .20 tac for sale on UKVarminting. I was very tempted myself if the brother had not already bought a .204 (and me a .223)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

much appreciated guys

Advertisement