Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say you invented a free energy source, how long before you get "taken out" ?

• 17-01-2012 3:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

So you've managed to extract & contain hydrogen simply or have stable cold fission going on in your bathroom.
    You know the minute you try to register a patent you're on the grid.
    Do you hand the idea over to a University allowing them to register it or does that put more lives at risk ?.
    You could publish it online but that would mean losing out on royalties big time.

Either way you've upset the world's balance so much you're a dead man walking.
    People would remember you mind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Do you mean 'taken out' in an Al Pacino way (Godfather) or in an Al Pacino way (Scent of a woman)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Bollox you would be the worlds first trillionaire. Investers would flock to you quicker then anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Did you just watch Chain Reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd send the plans to Julian Assange before I went public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Too late guise!
    Orbo have taken the title!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah sure the water powered car was invented in the 1950's. It's just that 'The Man' don't want you to know about it so he can keep feeding the monkey. And that monkey has its finger on the button man. And those button-down types in City Hall don't play by the rules you and I gotta play by man. There's rules for the ordinary Joe and then there's rules for the elite man. Elite was a great computer game, do you remember that one man? I had it on the BBC Micro back in the day. Few joints, couple hours of Elite. Good times......

What was I talking about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Someone was definitely watching Chain Reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i hate that film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    So you've managed to extract & contain hydrogen simply or have stable cold fission going on in your bathroom.
    Do you hand the idea over to a University allowing them to register it or does that put more lives at risk ?.
    You could publish it online but that would mean losing out on royalties big time.

If you can survive the first 48 hours, you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

No such thing as free energy, in this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd use to create a time machine, possible with the energy in my control, go back in time and stop myself from creating the energy source in the first place.

Problem solved.

*Dusts off hands*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Now that I think of it, the guy who invented the wheel is dead too. You might be onto something.....

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Nermonynamics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't bother with any scientific experiments in the fear that I'll get too into it and wind up like Jeff Goldblum and somehow become an insect called BrundleFly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

solar and wind energy is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If such a person is smart enough to make a free energy source, I am sure they would also know how to spread the know how accross the internet pretty damn quickly. There are multiple methods for getting information out there, that would be very hard to contain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it's merely converted from one state to another.

Oh wait, cost wise? Yeah, it'd be taxed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

chin_grin wrote: »
    Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it's merely converted from one state to another.

lol imagine everytime the sun shined esb sending you a "guestimated bill"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lizzybet

I am a very hot woman. I don't need to invent anything to be taken out;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lizzybet wrote: »
    I am a very hot woman. I don't need to invent anything to be taken out;)

You should probably take off your coat. You'll get dehydrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'd save it onto a 5½in floppy disk. Be safe there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Taken out where to?

Hope its an Indian, then the pub.

I like a good curry I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

*TREADSTONE ACTIVATED*

Free... FREE!!!!

Michael O' Leary has just turned over in his plane with that horrifying thought!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I've been carrying out experiments on my willy for perpetual motion of never ending energy.

It just never seems to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lizzybet

LeighH wrote: »
    You should probably take off your coat. You'll get dehydrated.

I am not wearing a coat. i don't believe in wearing too much:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Too late guise!
    Orbo have taken the title!

Step 1: Magnets
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: Free energy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you put the plans online they'd be all across the planet with in a matter of hours. Then killing you would be a waste of time.

My father, a physics teacher, probably wouldn't believe me and he'd join forces with the League of Villains to have me taken care off.

Then I'd have to ask Optimus Prime for help because the Decepticons would try and steal it, in typical comical fashion where they fail miserably but nobody dies, except Optimus Prime so Hasbro can release a new toy when he is resurrected.

• Advertisement

If you put the plans online they'd be all across the planet with in a matter of hours. Then killing you would be a waste of time.

Indeed.
    Thats exactly why I said that if you can survive the first 48 hours, you should be ok.

Funny :D - but true! :eek:

Then again, every oil company in the world besides the oil based countries, might just continue on with their hit contract just for spite.

RUN!

...And keep running! :D

i'd be torn between wanting to be a trillionaire and putting the plans across the net so everyone would have them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I would do a choice of 2 things:

1. Compile a giant e-mail, with all the technical plans and info, and send it in one go to all the Universities, labs, sciency places in the world. Yeah id be giving it away free, but hopefully the benefit to the world would be payment enough.

or

2. Keep it quiet, and make a meeting with just 1 company. Tell them if they give me 100,000,000euro they can have it exclusively.

More chance of getting killed with option 2, but there's the money too, tough one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Seriously you wouldn't make it even to sketching it down on paper.

your laptop reads your thoughts , they know before you do .

just ask Jim Corr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'd be torn between wanting to be a trillionaire and putting the plans across the net so everyone would have them

You'd still be a rich person from it I reckon. The talk shows circuit, innovation prizes, and wealthy benefactors would look after such a noble person imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

You would be branded a terrorist and assassinated.

• Advertisement

Thread would be better if it was how would you kill the person who invented it and steal their idea.

You'd still be a rich person from it I reckon. The talk shows circuit, innovation prizes, and wealthy benefactors would look after such a noble person imho.

Good point - and that brings up another aspect.
    Some countries might not have the tech people to do what you have done - so they might just kidnap you to reproduce the process for themselves!

North Korea has a history of kidnapping such people! True!
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_South_Koreans

If they can't do it - look out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Forget free power, it's been done.

Come back and talk if you can make a zero maintenance device (no moving parts, service interval at least 25 years) that can produce free power with a capital cost of less than one watt per dollar. Oh yeah and it's got to be 17% cheaper next year.

And 17% cheaper every year for at least a decade.

Solar power IS down to one dollar a watt. ( $2 a watt retail delivered in the US if you go bargain hunting )
    The downside is that the control systems, land and connections to the grid cost as much as the panels. And they don't work at night.

The big challenge is cheap energy storage.
    If you can make something that can store one unit of electricity per $10 capital cost then we need to talk.

If you can make a lighter, cheaper battery than Lead-Acid it's game over for petrol engines. Lead is heavy and expensive. Lead acid batteries have the second lowest energy density of any battery in use today , so it should not be that big a challenge to produce something better.

Hint: Lead has an atomic weight of 207 , Aluminium's is 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I breed genetically modified hamsters , they're powering this computer right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I agree the OP should be banned for even suggesting such a contravention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

free energy ? royalties :)

you mean free to the inventor not the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I watched a documentary about Gas (petrol) in the US and a fella built a car engine that got 80miles to the gallon. He was found dead on the side of the road. That was in the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

chin_grin wrote: »

lol imagine everytime the sun shined esb sending you a "guestimated bill"

In Ireland ? I'd say you'd be safe enough.

Some interesting stats here re what can be achieved though :

http://www.fuelacademy.com/world_record_drives.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I watched a documentary about Gas (petrol) in the US and a fella built a car engine that got 80miles to the gallon. He was found dead on the side of the road. That was in the 60s.
    Ford Model T had a better fuel economy than current US average car.
    http://www.gizmag.com/volvo-v60-plug-in-hybrid-diesel-geneva/17712/
    Volvo will introduce a "virtually production-ready" plug-in hybrid version of it's V60 sports wagon at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show. Expected to hit showroom floors in 2012, the hybrid V60 splices together a 2.4-liter D5 turbodiesel driving the front wheels with a 70 horsepower electric motor at the rear axle. According to Volvo this configuration delivers incredibly miserly fuel consumption of 124 mpg (1.9 l/100 km) along with the ability to cover 31 miles (50 km) using only the electric drive.

The 2.4-liter D5 turbodiesel driving the front wheels produces 215 horsepower and maximum torque of 440 Nm while the ERAD (Electric Rear Axle Drive) is fed by a 12 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.

Carbon dioxide emissions are slated at below 50 g/km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

There was a guy on a Horizon documentary about 10 minutes ago on BBC2, showing how he could make actual diesel (not some substitute) out of sugar and genetic engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lizzybet wrote: »
    I am not wearing a coat. i don't believe in wearing too much:)

That's a questionable stance to take in the chilly airs of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tigger123 wrote: »
    There was a guy on a Horizon documentary about 10 minutes ago on BBC2, showing how he could make actual diesel (not some substitute) out of sugar and genetic engineering.

yeah but it takes energy to make it, so its not free. Just a different source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Just breed some dinosaurs, bury them in a bog and wait for the coal and oil to come rolling back in.

Duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

but harnessing and distributing it is not

• Advertisement
Advertisement