Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say you invented a free energy source, how long before you get "taken out" ?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i'm sure we could hook something up to cyclists to get free energy.Maybe then they'll obey the traffic lights since they're physically "paying" for them to be lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'm pretty sure if you invented something that put the oil industries billionaires in trouble you'd almost certainly be a dead man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Whats the collective term for a group of oligarchs? Funny thing, I probably spelled oligarchs wrong, and my phone suggested I may be trying to write 'lizards'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

What i would do is still charge people for my free energy that way i could pay my way out of anything by under cutting every other power/energy supplier huzzah & make some cold fusion bomb and plant it inside my chest like iron man's metal chest vagina and rig it to blow if i die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

We should be investing in thorium nuclear power plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make it a weapon, and sell it to the USA. And then it won't go away so quickly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Didn't Tesla make some sort of machine which created a field/wave that powered everything that ran on electricity for miles??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Alright, who let the conspiracy theorist out of his cage???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Ah but think of it this way , if the oil companies lost their power , who would be in charge then , would you really be saving the world?
    What if the terminator came back and showed you that your company lets call it skynet or something similar caused terrible trouble in the future, would you then hold a detonator in a room full of explosives after being shot whilst breathing heavily until the police came in and blow them up so the terminator could escape, or would you think you were so smart you were going to invent another way to save the world from your invention .
    After all the eskimos are finding it very hard to hunt seal these days with all the global warming allegedly,and yet they still wear very heavy coats , why dont they just put a t shirt on and catch rabbits, they dont have to live in the snow anymore , its like being kicked in the arse for ten thousand years then the kicker gets a sore foot and thinking " this is **** my whole way of life is ruined"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I bet a lot of peeps haven't ever seen one of these babies.

Amazing piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Oh and the topic the OP is on about is like this. Rumours of a conspiracy to kill this guy, he died of "food poisining" in a restaurant apparantly.

He made out he had a "free energy device" which disobeyed the laws of thermodynamics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer's_water_fuel_cell

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chin_grin wrote: »
    Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it's merely converted from one state to another.

Oh wait, cost wise? Yeah, it'd be taxed. :pac:
    every conversion releases heat so there is ALWAYS a nett loss in energy
    (unless you are using the heat to keep warm)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah sure the water powered car was invented in the 1950's.
    A mate of mine was a fitter down the country and made a few special mods to his car. His favourite was the redirectable fuel intake.

He'd pull up to some quiet filling station, switch the fuel intake to the tank in the back seat footwell, then go up and ask for 30 liters of water to test out his water-based engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

DB21 wrote: »
    Alright, who let the conspiracy theorist out of his cage???
    BBC
    Researchers develop new system to 'eliminate' batteries

Researchers at the University of Bedfordshire have developed a new technique for powering electronic devices.

The system, developed by Prof Ben Allen at the Centre for Wireless Research, uses radio waves as power.
    Believed to be a world first, the team claims it could eventually eliminate the need for conventional batteries.

The university has now filed a patent application to secure exclusive rights to the technique.

Prof Allen and his team, including David Jazani and Tahima Ajmal, have created a system to use medium wave frequencies to replace batteries in small everyday gadgets like clocks or remote controls.

The new technique uses the "waste" energy of radio waves and has been developed as part of the university's research into "power harvesting".
    Prof Allen said that as radio waves have energy - like light waves, sound waves or wind waves - then in theory these waves could be used to create power.
    "The emerging area of power harvesting technology promises to reduce our reliance on conventional batteries," he said.

"It's a really exciting way of taking power from other sources than what we would normally think of."
    The team are now waiting for the results of the patent application to secure recognition of the technique.
    Prof Allen said that the team's achievements had all been done in their "spare time".

"Our next stage is to try and raise some real funds so that we can take this work forward and make a working prototype and maybe partner up with the right people and take this to a full product in due course," he said.
    "Power harvesting has a really important part in our future because, just in this country, we dispose of somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 tonnes of batteries in landfill sites every single year - that is toxic chemicals going into the ground.
    He added that development of the product could also be "commercially beneficial".

"The market for this is several billion pounds, we've seen market predictions for 2020 which have these kinds of figures so there's a lot of commercial potential in this area," he said.
    Pro-Vice Chancellor at the University of Bedfordshire, Prof Carsten Maple, said: "This type of work is a reflection of the university's growing reputation and experience in conducting innovative research."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Biggins wrote: »
    Good point - and that brings up another aspect.
    Some countries might not have the tech people to do what you have done - so they might just kidnap you to reproduce the process for themselves!

So now we have a mix mash of Ironman and Chain Reaction = Ironreaction or Chainman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Rhyme wrote: »
    Just breed some dinosaurs, bury them in a bog and wait for the coal and oil to come rolling back in.

Duh.

I think you need vegetation not dinosaurs there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Didn't Tesla make some sort of machine which created a field/wave that powered everything that ran on electricity for miles??
    He was doing work in this area, and being financed by JP Morgan, who cut the bucks when he realised he wasn't going to be able to make any profit out of free electricity. Apparently/allegedly. Whether Tesla's ideas would have worked out may be another story. The US Army demolished his tower at Wardenclyffe, Long Island in 1917 IIRC, his lab building still stands.

tumblr_ly63ziGo5G1qlttqho1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

Sindri wrote: »
    I'd use to create a time machine, possible with the energy in my control, go back in time and stop myself from creating the energy source in the first place.

Problem solved.

*Dusts off hands*

I also created a time machine and i can tell you with certainty it is now 18:21
    it doesn't do much else sorry .

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Serbitar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's just that 'The Man' don't want you to know about it so he can keep feeding the monkey. And that monkey has its finger on the button

What button!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.photovoltaikanlage.biz/Anzeigenmarkt/942?_kk=solar&_kt=f15b5567-4988-46a2-8039-155bd9dcf873

Free Energy Sources are now down to 64c per watt if you can claim back the VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

While travelling through SE Asia I bumped into a young intelligent man. He was about 6'3, shaved head and spoke eloquently.

He was from USA and told me he worked on a team (He's a scientist) which created a formula which was capable of creating a Hydrogen-Run car.

He then said that this became an issue and he had to flea the country pronto as the govt. were after him.

Prob talking sh!te but I wasn't going anywhere during his story as I pulled an unexpected pocket rocket.

Actually it was probably all that intellectual talk….really revs my engine :P

dave3004 wrote: »
    He was from USA and told me he worked on a team (He's a scientist) which created a formula which was capable of creating a Hydrogen-Run car.
    First Hydrogen Car with electric ignition was built by François Isaac de Rivaz in 1808 ( ie. 204 years ago )

The formula is simple 2 H2O + energy = 2 H2 + O2

The equation is reversible.
    But if you get heat produced it's energy that can't be used. And you get a lot of heat produced.

It's very easy to modify a petrol engine to run on hydrogen. The BIG problem is how to store the hydrogen as it's the lightest gas known. Your standard 20 foot container would contain about 3.5Kg of Hydrogen. You could use hydrides or chemical storage mechanisms but then you have the problem of using energy to release it. And the storage density is still only as good as the hydrogen stored in hydrocarbons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't think I'd release it anonymously on the net. Because you'd never get credit for it. Some random brass-necked shitbag would claim they invented it, or companies would be fighting over who's secret R&D servers it was stolen from. And I think I'd rather be assassinated than watch that happen.
    I think the only way to release it freely is through official channels, where chancers can be told to fuck off by your team of lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

As soon as I heard you had it and had not yet applied for a patent. Syringe of air in the bolloc.ks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    No such thing as free energy, in this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics

aperture science tends to differ.

Advertisement