Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Restrictions

Options
  • 17-01-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am interested in joining the Garda Reserve but notice that applicants must have a Leaving Certificate.
    Now seeing as I am getting a bit long in the tooth, or rather have less teeth than I used to have, I like many of my generation left school without completing my Leaving Certificate.
    Despite having since received Diplomas and a Degree and currently managing a multi million euro business my question is this.
    Do I just forget it?
    I am healthy for my age with a background in Martial Arts and Self Defence,but am probably still precluded from joining.
    Any Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

If you have 3rd level qualifications this will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Will it?..thats good to know..where do i get that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I teach adults for the leaving cert.....known as VTOS (Vocational, Training and Opportunities Scheme), you do the normal leaving cert, only in 1 year instead of 2. It is run by the V.E.C and is completely free, but the only snag is that you need to be claiming some sort of social welfare for the past 3 months.

I It is run by the V.E.C and is completely free, but the only snag is that you need to be claiming some sort of social welfare for the past 3 months.
    Big Snag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

bobster453 wrote: »
    Big Snag

Very big snag .. What about a PLC course, like FETEC stuff ?

• Advertisement

msg11 wrote: »
    Very big snag .. What about a PLC course, like FETEC stuff ?

Again you need to be receiving Social Welfare payment to achieve a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Again you need to be receiving Social Welfare payment to achieve a place

Actully , I was saying for people that have it already and maybe don't have subjects from the leaving cert. Is that possable?

You can enter as a mature student over 23 (for a fee, regardless of emplyment status) that PLC or 3rd level (leaving cert maybe required)

You can also enter into a PLC course, if you have any sort of leaving cert (there will be an interview too pass to make sure your not having a laugh and trying to get the grant..!) again for a fee.

Open to correction on the above, but it's along them lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

@bobster

you don't have to do anything else, just apply.

you've been through the school of life, that's qualification enough when you're of a certain age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

I am in the same boat bobster453, I was educated in the UK and only have GCSE's - I was only recently sent a GR4 application which is basically a leaving cert exemption application. You have to state all your work experience/volunteering and community work. If they think this is sufficient enough, then you will be okay without the leaving cert.

Cheers all, I have a better idea now, thanks for posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 1rishguy

Cheers all, I have a better idea now, thanks for posting

Hi All, I dont know whether this is any help but have a look at this link.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0413.html

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Hi all,
    I am interested in joining the Garda Reserve but notice that applicants must have a Leaving Certificate.
    Now seeing as I am getting a bit long in the tooth, or rather have less teeth than I used to have, I like many of my generation left school without completing my Leaving Certificate.
    Despite having since received Diplomas and a Degree and currently managing a multi million euro business my question is this.
    Do I just forget it?
    I am healthy for my age with a background in Martial Arts and Self Defence,but am probably still precluded from joining.
    Any Ideas?

Havent been on the board for some time but your background is very similar to mine. I failed my leaving cert but later went on to 3rd level education. I have been a GR for two years now so am qualified to answer your question.
    You can apply for an exemption by writing to the Commissioner detailing your experience and qualifications. This is normally given to individuals such as you and I especially when you have extensive management experience additional qualifications and extensive life experience.

If I can be of any further help send me a pm

Good luck with your application

Advertisement