Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of architect

Options
  • 17-01-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi,
    i'm looking to put an extension onto the back of our house. One story about 4.5m*5m I'm going to get an architect to design, spec and overview the project. How much do you reckon that would cost?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

radiat wrote: »
    hi,
    i'm looking to put an extension onto the back of our house. One story about 4.5m*5m I'm going to get an architect to design, spec and overview the project. How much do you reckon that would cost?

Thanks,
    between 25g and 75g depending on what you want, might change, existing site issues + if there are any 'minor' works you require to your existing home

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Having read BryanF's response, I thought the cost of the architect was a bit steep! :D

Just wondering does the OP mean the cost of the extension or the cost for engaging an architect?

:D ye i can see that now.. I was referring to the price of the job and the possible range of price..

maybe i'll start a new tread entitled 'is it a good idea to expect answers on cost of arch service, without a site visit and meeting with client' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Bryan, can I come work for you please, you seem to be better at getting fees than me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 con.e

Hi i am converting my garage and building on top of it-3bed semi d. Also we are thinking of a possible reshuffle of rooms upstairs to give space for a large master bedroom. I am looking for an architect to draw up the plans for planning permission. I got a few quotes and they varied hugely. Does anyone know roughly what the architects fee should be?thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

con.e
    Sounds as if you will need a planning appliction, followed by tender documention, building contract, compliance and if a Lending Institution is involved -paymnet certification etc.

con.e wrote: »
    Hi i am converting my garage and building on top of it-3bed semi d. Also we are thinking of a possible reshuffle of rooms upstairs to give space for a large master bedroom. I am looking for an architect to draw up the plans for planning permission. I got a few quotes and they varied hugely. Does anyone know roughly what the architects fee should be?thank you
    to me it seems the perceived value of architectural services has gone way down, no one seems to consider the time that is spent in design/project planning will be saved in by accurate building price, less on site issues, less time required by client, and of course a layout/design that could not have been envisaged by a client.

why don't you tell us what the quotes are, and what work was included for. and we'll try to put the potential hours and expenses of a self-employed insured professional.. without seeing the house and potential issues of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BryanF wrote: »

and of course a layout/design that could not have been envisaged by a client.

maybe, possibly, could be, a slight exhaderation here?;)

'exhaderation' is that builder speak for the 'wooosh' sound that's made, when their asked how big a job is:p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,048 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BryanF wrote: »
    'exhaderation' is that builder speak for the 'wooosh' sound that's made, when their asked how big a job is:p
    Not everyone who posts here possesses your obvious intelligent grasp of English grammar. No need for the mockery BryanF and if I see this happening again I wont be as lenient.

Warning given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,048 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Leave it at that now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The reason that the fees vary is because the service varies. The best way to get an accurate price is to see exactly what each is offering and compare like with like.

If your goals are to convert your garage and re-organise the existing internal layout then there are several approaches that could be taken.

A good Architect would carry out a full survey of the house including structural and non-structural walls and pin pointing where existing services are and designing around them. In order to save time(and give you a cheaper price) others may be content to work off the original plans of the house and estimate where services and structural walls are.
    From experience I know that extensions take much more time to design than new builds as the client knows exactly what they want and there are far more restrictions to work around, someone that isnt used to designing extensions (there are many many offices that havent designed anything smaller than a housing estate in the last 10 years) might not be aware of this, others may just not be prepared to spend this amount of time on a project and give you a half hearted design.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

muffler wrote: »
    Not everyone who posts here possesses your obvious intelligent grasp of English grammar. No need for the mockery BryanF and if I see this happening again I wont be as lenient.

Warning given.]

This reply is more worrying than BryanF's little joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Damie wrote: »
    This reply is more worrying than BryanF's little joke!
    Keep posts on-topic, it has already been said on thread.
    Bans will be handed out from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

martinn123 wrote: »
    maybe, possibly, could be, a slight exhaderation here?;)

No not at all. Many clients have remarked to me that very point. A skilled architect will not only accept but challenge the client breif.

Remember the typical client will be extending for the first time whereas the skilled and experienced architect will have many many dozens under his belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

con.e wrote: »

I recomend that you attempt to look beyond the costs you have been qouted to establish what value each cost represents.

Ask to speak to former clients to determine the quality of service each architect brought to the project - beyond the production of drawings.

As others have posted to suggest - there is more to it than that

Advertisement