Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I get UPC's phone service at my address?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I can get UPC broadband and television at my home address, but I still can't get phone. I assumed their phone service was VoIP. If it is, how come I can get cable broadband but not phone?

It's a right pain, because it means we can't get the UPC bundle. I'm stuck with Vodafone for phone and broadband, and it's not worth my while to switch even the broadband part of it to UPC.

I contacted UPC, but they have no idea when phone will be available.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If UPC doesn't block VOIP then why not just use another VOIP provider, there are plenty of them. Just use UPC for TV and broadband.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on where you live
    they have to upgrade parts of their network to support phone, also have to supply a different modem thingy
    http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't think of what exactly they need to upgrade, it's carried over the same DOCSIS channels as the broadband even if it's encapsulated differently etc. I thought the phone service was based on connecting over DOCSIS to a central phone server type thing.

Advertisement