Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnection Issues

Options
  • 17-01-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

We have our dsl service with Eircom just over a month now, and all is working well for the most part.

However, the modem intermittently disconnects, most noticeably in the late evening and early morning. Strangely, when the diagnostic is run, the DSL remains up, but ATM shows up as failed.

Its not that much of an issue, but Im wondering is there something going on at my side or is it the exchange side?

Apart from that, speeds are good, latency is low.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

BobTheBeat wrote: »
    We have our dsl service with Eircom just over a month now, and all is working well for the most part.

However, the modem intermittently disconnects, most noticeably in the late evening and early morning. Strangely, when the diagnostic is run, the DSL remains up, but ATM shows up as failed.

Its not that much of an issue, but Im wondering is there something going on at my side or is it the exchange side?

Apart from that, speeds are good, latency is low.

Hi BobTheBeat,

It may just be caused by the distance involved form the exchange that the signal can occasionaly disconnect as it is on the cusp of the required broadband availability distance.

I will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Thanks Mark. I dont believe Im that far away, probably only a mile and a half or so from the local exchange.

Is it not strange that the DSL stays up but ATM is what drops? Id say something if it was everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

If your using the black zyxel modem then ATM will always show up as failed. The fact that DSL is up shows the connection from your modem to the exchange is alive. I Ithought it may have been your wireless connection dropping but then you wouldn't be able to open the modem home page then. Or do you connect your laptop with an ethernet cable.

If your using the black zyxel modem then ATM will always show up as failed. The fact that DSL is up shows the connection from your modem to the exchange is alive. I Ithought it may have been your wireless connection dropping but then you wouldn't be able to open the modem home page then. Or do you connect your laptop with an ethernet cable.

Its the Zyxel Modem, youre right. Connection to the Modem is via lan to a wireless bridge.

Tried looking at the logs on the device to see what exactly was failing, but they are pretty much useless.

Hi BobTheBeat,

It may just be caused by the distance involved form the exchange that the signal can occasionaly disconnect as it is on the cusp of the required broadband availability distance.

I will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

any update on this? Id prefer if I didnt have to ring customer care.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

BobTheBeat wrote: »
    Mark,

any update on this? Id prefer if I didnt have to ring customer care.

Brian

Hi BobTheBeat,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you, our systems are showing conflicting information when we are testing the line and broadband.

The line test is not completing. So I spoke to broadband technical support and as they have not checked the line and set up since the broadband was connected in December they asked if you could call them on 1890 260 260 to run a few checks.

Can you let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement