Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDNS

• 17-01-2012 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Is there still free service providers out there to allow me to create "DDNS" account with zero cost. I looked up Dyndns.com who i think used to be free but now charge?

I can remote view my cctv dvr but my dynamic ip address keeps changing. I want to set up ddns to solve this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Hi guys,

Is there still free service providers out there to allow me to create "DDNS" account with zero cost. I looked up Dyndns.com who i think used to be free but now charge?

I can remote view my cctv dvr but my dynamic ip address keeps changing. I want to set up ddns to solve this.

Thanks!

There's no-ip.com - http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Thanks Pizza but i see that host names have to be updated every 60 days which seems like a bit of hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

alternative option is a static IP from your ISP. I pay just 2 euro a month for mine.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    alternative option is a static IP from your ISP. I pay just 2 euro a month for mine.

Hi, thanks for that. Are you with Eircom? Someone suggested they charge e50 once off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

vodafone charges me e2 a month and no set-up fee.

I have eircom service too but do not have a static with them. Just googled and looks like eicom will only provide a static with business service.

who are you with?

• Advertisement

Im with Eircom. Another thread somewhere on boards suggested static IP is available for residential line for once off e50 fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Most DVR's have Dynamic DNS (DDNS) functionality built in. The manufacturer might provide a DDNS server.

If there is a DDNS setting in the DVR have a look and see what the options are.

Regarding no-ip
    "Thanks Pizza but i see that host names have to be updated every 60 days which seems like a bit of hassle?"

I think that this just means that if your external IP hasn't changed that they will send you an e-mail to check if the account is still active, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I looked up Dyndns.com who i think used to be free but now charge?
    weird. still seems to be free for existing free customers (i've had a free account for years with them), but i don't see a permanent free option any more, just a trial. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Thanks Pizza but i see that host names have to be updated every 60 days which seems like a bit of hassle?

they have an automatic updater tool that you can install on a PC if you have one onsite

Advertisement