Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dog food for €40 - €45 price range (15kg bag)

• 17-01-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a third dog, an akita x elkhound. Already have an elkhound and cocker. I've been feeding them Massbrook and got Massbrook puppy food for the new pup. However, it's a relatively unknown brand and is costing €25 for the normal 15kg bag and €29 for the 15kg puppy bag. It seems alot for a brand that hasn't a premium name like Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Burns or Orijen.

Are there any foods people could recommend for a similar price? I'd be particularly interested in any websites where the premium brands are cheaper to get. I know Zooplus is cheap but are there any selling Arden Grange cheaper than retailers? I'd be willing to stretch to €40 for a decent premium bag but most shops are €55 to €60.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

try whites. its €40 for a 15kg bag. my lot are on it and they love it. there was a problem with delivery around xmas but that has been sorted and deliveries are back on track.

its the only food that all my lot can eat, before that i was on 3 different brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

+1 on whites, red mills leader supreme also (not sure how much it is but I think it's around the €40 mark). Someone here feeds clinivet, I think that's a bit cheaper too. As I'm sure you already know, with the more expensive brands you need to feed less so a bag should last longer so they may not work out much more expensive in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

I pay €59 for SALTERS senior dog food (15kg). Any opinions on this brand?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

With it being an akita mix I would highly reccommend a food with fish as the main ingredient. They adore fish, probably from their ancestors being fed mainly fish diets. Haven't tried whites but have heard great things about it so maybe email them for a sample and see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

TOMP wrote: »
    I pay €59 for SALTERS senior dog food (15kg). Any opinions on this brand?

Post up the ingredients list or a link to it. I'v never heard of it and €59 sounds awful expensive for it if it's a crap brand, I'd be expecting very good quality (yet it's a name I'v never heard of :confused:).

Edited: Is this it? http://www.salterspetfood.com/senior.html First ingredient is ground maize, second ingredient ground grain rice before finally a meat is mentioned 3rd and 4th ingredients. €59 for basically a bag of maize and rice. If your dog is doing well on it ok, but there are better quality foods available cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

GAIN Retired Greyhound Food is only €13 for 15kg. I've been feeding my boxer it for months now and it's fantastic. It has the same protein/oils as Spillers Leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Have an Akita myself and she thrived on the Gain Adult range when moving her to that. It's not a well known brand but as far as I can see it's a fantastic dry food for dogs. retails at about E27 in Connacht Gold.

Have her on a raw food diet with the dry feed too (not fed at the same time) so the bag lasts about 2months for me. Bounds of energy on this diet ,better looking coat, pearly teeth and better doggy breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Red Mills Leader/Leader Supreme are great, the other ones in the range are not as good.

Best For My Dog is also very good, but is a little over your price range at €48 for 15kg (but I found myself feeding significantly less than was recommended on the bag so it lasts for ages!).

Whites is another food worth trying, have heard mixed reviews on it but worth a go (maybe they could send you a few samples to try!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whites is €41 for 15kg, and my two, including the one with the dodgy tummy, do very well on it. They have an offer at the moment for 2 15kg bags for €71; you can't get fairer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

kylith wrote: »
    Whites is €41 for 15kg, and my two, including the one with the dodgy tummy, do very well on it. They have an offer at the moment for 2 15kg bags for €71; you can't get fairer than that.

That's brilliant, obviously trying to get their customers back. Have they sorted their deliveries? I ordered a sample last week and still haven't gotten it so I can order yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was there a problem with the deliveries? The only one I've found is that they deliver during the day so if you work you'll miss it. The delivery guy is generally very good, though, and phones me up to tell me he's left it in my bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Zapperzy wrote: »
    , red mills leader supreme also (not sure how much it is but I think it's around the €40 mark).

Ther was a special offer on the Red Mills Adult Supreme in Pet Mania last week - a 15kg bag for 34 euro. That offer may still be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lemlin wrote: »
    It seems alot for a brand that hasn't a premium name like Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Burns or Orijen.

The name of a dog food is utterly irrelevant, it's the ingredients that matter. Sometimes it makes sense to get dog food from the North so petconnection.ie is worth a look. Their own brand food can be really good, the best of which is their salmon and potato food at £27 (roughly €32) for 15kg. The ingredients are, fresh salmon (min 26%), potato (min 26%), oats, maize, salmon
    meal, beet pulp, refined poultry fat, dicalcium phosphate, salmon oil, minerals and vitamins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Taceom wrote: »
    Ther was a special offer on the Red Mills Adult Supreme in Pet Mania last week - a 15kg bag for 34 euro. That offer may still be available.
    Yeah it was a tenner off, normal price is 45euro. Just put mine on it last week, they seem to be enjoying it and it's pretty good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

kylith wrote: »
    Was there a problem with the deliveries? The only one I've found is that they deliver during the day so if you work you'll miss it. The delivery guy is generally very good, though, and phones me up to tell me he's left it in my bin.

Ya do a search here there was a thread on it. I put the new pup on the puppy food and asked about deliveries. The lady in the vets said it's all sorted now but they are out of stock of the salmon one I want the sample of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can anyone post up the ingredients of Whites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just started this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056522969

12kg bags of Royal Canin in Petstop (Airside) for 45Euro, 15quid off.

Worked out at less than double the price of a 3kg bag (23euro) for 4 times as much food :D

iguana wrote: »
    The name of a dog food is utterly irrelevant, it's the ingredients that matter. Sometimes it makes sense to get dog food from the North so petconnection.ie is worth a look. Their own brand food can be really good, the best of which is their salmon and potato food at £27 (roughly €32) for 15kg. The ingredients are, fresh salmon (min 26%), potato (min 26%), oats, maize, salmon
    meal, beet pulp, refined poultry fat, dicalcium phosphate, salmon oil, minerals and vitamins.

Have you used this food? It looks very good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

just received a delivery for the LUKULLUS food I ordered so thought I'd try that tonight and used it as rewards and my dogs LOVE it . they nuts look weird, almost like guinea pig food cos they use a preocess called "cold pressed"

Looked at the ingredients and it seems grand, @42.99 for a 15kg bag inc. delivery and zooplus points, I'm happy. now let's see how the poops will be ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Iam feeding mine a mix between Madra @ €10 for 15kg bag and Barking Heads @ € 40 for 15kg bag. I get 2 months feeding for two dogs.
    I was wondering is there a food better than madra for around €25 per 15kg bag? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

Iv my dogs on Red witch the salmon great food a lot of people with Akitas feed it to them as its owned by one of the top Akita kennels

Composition:
    Salmon meal (26%), fresh salmon (15%), white rice (12.5%), brown rice (12.5%), whole maize, poultry fat, yeast, sugar beet pulp, potato, poultry digest, pea fibre, linseed, fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, yucca.

Analytical Constituents:
    Crude Protein: 27% Crude Fibre: 3.5% Fat Content: 15% Crude Ash: 7%

Additives per kg:
    Antioxidants: Natural D-mixed tocopherols;
    Nutritional additives: Vitamin A 16000 iu, Vitamin D3 1600 iu,Vitamin E 100 mg, Ferrous Sulphate 52mg, Cupric Sulphate 10.5mg, Manganese Sulphate 18.8 mg, Zinc Sulphate 63.2 mg, Calcium Iodate 1.3 mg, Sodium Selenate 0.1 mg. http://www.redwitch.co.uk/products.htm

I get it from dogfooddirect.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just switched my two over to Red Mills Leader from Aldi's Earls Dry Food. I've some of the Aldi stuff left so have been mixing the two together. They seem to like it so far and I think it was a bit easier to clean up after them on their walk earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lemlin wrote: »
    Have you used this food? It looks very good stuff.

Yeah I feed them either that or the chicken one for the variety although the chicken one isn't as popular with one of my dogs. My other dog only has three legs so the fish and fish oil is very good for his joints that are under more pressure than most dogs his age.

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah I feed them either that or the chicken one for the variety although the chicken one isn't as popular with one of my dogs. My other dog only has three legs so the fish and fish oil is very good for his joints that are under more pressure than most dogs his age.

Have ordered a couple of bags of it anyway so will see how they get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just started this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056522969

12kg bags of Royal Canin in Petstop (Airside) for 45Euro, 15quid off.

Worked out at less than double the price of a 3kg bag (23euro) for 4 times as much food :D

Bought 3 bags of Royal Canin, probably the best dog food around.

Advertisement