Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance Quote

• 17-01-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is there any difference between Allianz and PetInsure.ie?

Got a quote off these two companies for insurance for the Bernese (supposed to do it weeks ago but been so busy), the quote from PetInsure.ie is almost €200 cheaper than Allianz.

Our other wee dogs are insured with Allianz but for a saving of €200, i'd go to PetInsure.ie if they are the same as Allianz.

Is anyone here with Petinsure.ie and if so what do you think of their policy, what they cover, how they pay and are they reliable?

I've never had to make a claim on any pet insurance so far, but with this doggy i want to be extra careful about insurance because of the breed health problems.

Any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Check what's covered on each policy, and the excess.

I did the same search when looking for insurance and found they were almost identical in price 10-20 euro in difference.

If your getting €200 off the other quote, phone the insurer and doubled check the details and coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

If you talk to someone at allianz they may match the quote seeing as your other dogs are already insured with them.

If you wish to get quotes from other insurers, check this page on www.dogsireland.com http://www.dogsireland.com/pet_insurance_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

speaking of insurance..

I've heard, not sure if this is true, that all pet insurance are in a kind of yearly renewal basis. I dont know how to explain this.. sorry if i dont make myself clear.

What i mean is that, as for what i've heard, if a dog develops a condition this year, you may be able to claim expenses for tha new condition this year under your policy, but next year, that would be taken into account as a pre-existing medical conditions and therefore will not be covered in the following year.

So, if the dog develops a chronical disease these are not covered? sounds bogey enough, i know, but i'd be happy if someone could clarify this for me.

I've done some research and most insurers are not really clear on this point. Except for Tescos, which is pretty clear

For the tesco's value insurance:
    "The policyholder will not be able to claim
    on the policy for the same Condition once
    the maximum limit is reached (2500eur) or after 12
    months has passed from the first date of
    Treatment for the Condition."

For the Tesco's Standard insurance

The Condition will not be covered once the
    maximum limit (4000eur) is reached. There is no time limit
    on how long the claim can last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Amira, thats not entirely correct. That really only applies if you switch companies.
    So if you were with Allianz and switched to Petinsure, you wouldnt be covered for anything that the dog suffered with while with Allianz now with Petinsure if you get me?

But if you stick to the one insurance company from the word go you should be fine.

Thanks Andreac,

I hope that's the case, altho with Tesco's it seems is not. Not long ago there was some guy speaking on the radio and mentioned that all pet insurance was the same than Tesco's in that case. So I just wanted to check.

Oh, and yeah, i agree with the OP, from all the quotes i got, petinsure was the cheapest, 80eur cheaper than Allianz, which was the most expensive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

When I was looking into insurance, Petinsure.ie told me that they require a medical history from birth in the event of a claim. I told them this would be impossible as my two are rescues...they then said I could get a certificate of health off my vet from when I got my dogs, but were rather vague and non committal about this. For this reason I chose not to go with them.
    I went for 123.ie in the end. I have not had to claim anything, both dogs have been right as rain this year. I'm up for renewal soon so am wondering if I should move to Allianz. I have been put off by things I've heard about big premium hikes with them, but I also keep hearing about how they are easy to deal with in the event of a claim. Anyone have any experience of claiming off 123.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The best thing to do is call your vet, ask them who are the most helpful and easiest when it comes to claims. I asked my vet and was told that with Allianz you get what you pay for.

mosi wrote: »
    When I was looking into insurance, Petinsure.ie told me that they require a medical history from birth in the event of a claim. I told them this would be impossible as my two are rescues...they then said I could get a certificate of health off my vet from when I got my dogs, but were rather vague and non committal about this. For this reason I chose not to go with them.
    I went for 123.ie in the end. I have not had to claim anything, both dogs have been right as rain this year. I'm up for renewal soon so am wondering if I should move to Allianz. I have been put off by things I've heard about big premium hikes with them, but I also keep hearing about how they are easy to deal with in the event of a claim. Anyone have any experience of claiming off 123.ie?

Hi Mosi,
    only thing i can say from 123.ie is that when i was 'researching' diff pet insurance, they were a bit cheaper than Allianz. they were 192 for my mini schnauzer and Allianz was 217, however, 123.ie advised me that once the dog is 8years old the premium woudl go up to 310eur.. so yeah, ur right about the premium hikes.
    Altho, in fairness, all insurers raise the excess after the dog is 8 y.o., but 123 raises excess and premium.
    None of the other insurers are raising the premium coz of age, however, they are all raising the premium after a big claim, and if this is due to a chronic disease, premium will stay up.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

amira wrote: »
    mosi wrote: »

Hi Mosi,
    only thing i can say from 123.ie is that when i was 'researching' diff pet insurance, they were a bit cheaper than Allianz. they were 192 for my mini schnauzer and Allianz was 217, however, 123.ie advised me that once the dog is 8years old the premium woudl go up to 310eur.. so yeah, ur right about the premium hikes.
    Altho, in fairness, all insurers raise the excess after the dog is 8 y.o., but 123 raises excess and premium.
    None of the other insurers are raising the premium coz of age, however, they are all raising the premium after a big claim, and if this is due to a chronic disease, premium will stay up.

Hope it helps.

Once dog reaches 7 years old you must pay 35% of each claim with Allianz !

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for all your help,

Decided to go with petinsurance.ie, it seems to offer exactly the same as Allianz but almost €200 cheaper, so she got more new chew toys today with some of the savings :)

Just have to find training classes now and we are all set!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement