Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 ISSF Rifle and Pistol World Cup Bejing is cancelled

• 17-01-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the ISSF website:
    2012 World Cup in all events in Beijing cancelled.

2012 ISSF World Cup in all events in Beijing (CHN) has been cancelled in agreement with the Chinese Shooting Association. The World Cup Stage will not be rescheduled.

The ISSF, in agreement with the Chinese Shooting Association, has decided to cancel the 2012 ISSF World Cup stage in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun events that was scheduled to take place in Beijing on 16-25 June 2012.

In the last few days, special security restrictions associated with the 18th National Congress in China have created conditions that make it impossible for the Chinese Shooting Association to organize this year's ISSF World Cup in Beijing. These restrictions are new and were completely unforeseen by the Chinese Shooting Association.

The ISSF and our Chinese Member Federation considered several alternatives, but we decided that alternative late June dates for this World Cup were too close to the Olympic Games to make suitable arrangements for such a large World Cup.

We are also aware that several Member Federations are concerned that further changes to the 2012 World Cup program would disturb their preparations for the Olympic Games.

Therefore, please be informed that the ISSF World Cup for Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun in Beijing, China is cancelled.

And we thought that government restrictions here were a pain - I don't even want to think about the hassle this has caused, let alone the amount of money involved from cancelled flights to paying for preparations that won't be used to repaying entry fees and so on...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

That is not something that will go down well with all that had everything booked and money spent.
    I would presume that this would have been the last warm up event for shooters before the Olympics and test their form.
    I don't understand why they won't reschedule it as they say themselves
    for such a large World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

And to be honest speaking as a Chinese Irish - it's poppycock that they couldn't have foreseen this. I recall at the last congress you weren't allowed to buy knives/scissors in supermarkets around Beijing...so how they (ISSF/CSA) thought airguns would be allowed is beyond me.

Unless the congress was held spontaneously they must have seen this coming a mile away and thought they could get an exemption :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Given that it's the Olympic range, and how much money and prestige it'd bring in (especially when a chinese shooter was favorite to win in several events), I'd guess they thought they'd be able to get an exemption...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

One can only guess what happened behind the scenes. But certainly it shouldn't have come as a surprise to either the Government bureaucrats or the event organisers that the competition and the congress was going to happen at the same time. You wouldn't leave it down to chance that they'd give an exemption - so I wonder why a change of heart by the Gov.

Advertisement