Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed from History Teachers

• 17-01-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'm in Leavig Cert right now and I'm studying history.

Thing is, all we do in class is read. We are given no notes and our first history test of the year will be our mocks in three weeks! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am already having nightmare and mini panic attacks over the exam. I know hardly anything.

Every week we are given an essay to do, but we never discuss them or look at different views of the essay like other classes do (from which I find out from the LC forum). That is grand, but I don't really retain the information.

Could any history teachers out there give me advice on how learn the material or taking notes etc.

Muchos thanks!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I know that you're panicking but relax, you'd be surprised how many history students are in the same boat.

My brother said his history teacher gave great notes, but I realised hed robbed them all off less stress, more success!! its a great resource for cramming, especially if you're not getting notes in class.

When youre writing essays you need an introduction, 5 or 6 paragraphs that each deal with a different point and a conclusion. The conclusion is the most important part and you should definately try to put in a new tidbit of information in the conclusion, something that shows you have an overall view of history.

For example, if your essay is why did sinn fein win the 1918 election? your points would include paragraphs on the mistaken association of sinn fein with 1916, the failure of home rule, byelections, conscription crisis, the german plot, the labour party stepping aside etc..

In the conclusion, we can say that the results were a mandate for the war of independence. But this was largely possible because more young people were able to vote than ever before (all men over 21 and women over 30). As the right to vote now had nothing to do with land or gender, the popular support for republicanism translated into a landslide victory for Sinn Fein.

I have seen good students getting 3/12 in the conclusion because theyre tired and just want to stop writing... You need to treat the conclusion as paragraph that shows the examiner you know something extra thats relevant and interesting.

Best of Luck :)

Advertisement