Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

in supermarkets...

• 17-01-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

You know the policys they have in supermarkets

If theres more than 2 people at a till we will open another

if the item wont scan its free

If we overcharge you , we will give you double the difference

etc

Does anyone actually mention them if they are in this predicment? Like if your item was not scanning and the woman had tried a few times would you say "Dont i get that for free now because it wont scan?

I waited 15 minutes at customer service to get back the double the difference money after being overcharged. And id do it again. :D

*pats self on back*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

stingy thread ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How much was the difference???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Which begs the question - how much is 15 minutes of your life really worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Here's one: In supermarkets, if you perceive other customers to be rude you can just walk off and leave a trolley full of shopping behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I like eggs.

Do you?

Squirrel eggs.

• Advertisement

Did you ever notice how in supermarkets they sell you food?

Because I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

etc

Does anyone actually mention them if they are in this predicment? Like if your item was not scanning and the woman had tried a few times would you say "Dont i get that for free now because it wont scan?

I waited 15 minutes at customer service to get back the double the difference money after being overcharged. And id do it again. :D

*pats self on back*

What supermarkets have these policies??

Did you know OP that this story makes you a tight cunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Free because it won't scan? **** off! Just look the items code up on the system. What a load of nonsense. And a shop doesn't have to do any of those things. It's purely down to discretion at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Never seen the 'free because it won't scan' policy - that's just an invite for people to wreck the barcodes on expensive products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

People don't realise how often they are overcharged/double charged. In our local supermarkets its about 1 in 4 shopping trips.This is happening ever since scanners were introduced. Christmas week for example two local supermarkets were heavily advertising bargains - in both cases the discount was not being applied at the till. When we advised them it was in the afternoon so everyone who'd bought these items were overcharged for 2 1/2 days before. One item was overpriced by €4.70 and the other by €2.35. People were making multiple purchases so you can see that this adds up.
    One of the supermarkets tries to hold onto the receipt (we don't let them) and they have a big ledger they record each mistake reported. It won't ever change when people don't bother checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People don't realise how often they are overcharged/double charged. In our local supermarkets its about 1 in 4 shopping trips.This is happening ever since scanners were introduced. Christmas week for example two local supermarkets were heavily advertising bargains - in both cases the discount was not being applied at the till. When we advised them it was in the afternoon so everyone who'd bought these items were overcharged for 2 1/2 days before. One item was overpriced by €4.70 and the other by €2.35. People were making multiple purchases so you can see that this adds up.
    One of the supermarkets tries to hold onto the receipt (we don't let them) and they have a big ledger they record each mistake reported. It won't ever change when people don't bother checking.

Is that the royal 'we' or are you part of a band of vigilante price-checkers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

ElleEm wrote: »
    Our local tescos will give item for free if it has been overcharged/ discount not applied/double or multiple scanned. BUT most people don't check their receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I used to work in Dunnes, and I'd always have these eejits guffawing at me with 'do I get it free if it won't scan?' and I was there, no :confused: because not only are you being stupid, the fact that it won't scan means that I have to go off and get a barcode that I can use instead which requires a manager to do an over ride..and trying to find a manager to do that meant holding up the queue of people. i hated when that happened. stupid fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

kfallon wrote: »
    How much was the difference???

overchared 3euro- got back 6e

its the principle:)

ElleEm wrote: »

superquinn have 1st 2 and 3rd is tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I often see the "if I suddenly decide not to get an item in my trolley I can just put it on any shelf and it will magically return to the right shelf instantly.
    This also goes for frozen or refrigerated food."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Shryke wrote: »
    Free because it won't scan? **** off! Just look the items code up on the system. What a load of nonsense. And a shop doesn't have to do any of those things. It's purely down to discretion at the end of the day.

not the case. when I worked in a shop before. the item was priced wrongly, huge difference in the price tag, and the customer only then had to pay the price they saw originally on it and not the correct higher price.
    She threw a huge hissy fit however and got her own way in the end. I think its really bad form really. very easy to make such a mistake and the poor sales assistant was eaten alive after the woman left even though it could have been anyone who priced it wrong. You'd want to be stone fearless and tight to act like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

In our local Eurospar (you can say that to people ya don't like) the prices displayed on the shelves don't match the prices charged at the till. Mainly because they're cunts. The only way to check how often they do this would be to write down the prices displayed and compare them when at the checkout, only I can't be arsed. I know I should be, they're robbing me after all (every little helps) and it happens often enough, especially on special offers, say a pizza at €3.49 special offer can be charged at €4.99 at the till. I guess what you should do is report stuff like that to the consumer association. I just shop there only for the basics now, (since it's the local and I'd have to go into town for a better supermarket), and I do keep an eye on what they charge me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

...and those mischievous anti-cheap milk scamps (aka cunts) who wander around leaving 2 litre milk containers all over the feckin shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

As long as you realise what supermarkets have these policies and don't act like they all do. Dunnes for example, does none of these. Tesco's policy is to give you double the difference now NOT the item for free like they used to.

The price at the till is always right, the sign is what's wrong- usually a markup not signed correctly, or a special offer sign not replaced with the original price. Even if they honour the price that was displayed- it's still incorrect. They have to manually override it and log it. Tesco and Dunnes employ people to go around scanning everything and changing the signage. Supervalu and others don't bother...not sure on Superquinn, they probably. That's why Supervalu has a dodgy reputation for this.

biko wrote: »
    I often see the "if I suddenly decide not to get an item in my trolley I can just put it on any shelf and it will magically return to the right shelf instantly.
    I know! It's the ultimate in lazy apathy to suddenly decide you don't want that frozen chicken or those pork chops and pull them out of your basket to stick it on the breadshelf, or if you're in Aldi, the middle aisle with the specials seems to be favourite. Lazy f#ckers. It must drive the shop managers mental. Worse, someone might pick up those pork chops and put them back on the refrigerated shelf not knowing how long they could've been out, and some poor customer will buy them, then find out they've gone off the next day, and blame the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i dont know why they are called 'super' markets. i find them pretty boring tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

And what is the deal with airplane food? They're not even made from airplanes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

When I worked in Dunnes Stores a few years ago (late 2007) you could get the item free if the price on the shelf didn't match the price at the checkout. The trick was to pay for the stuff and then look at your receipt and tell them you were overcharged. If you told them before you paid they would just check the price and reduce it to the correct price at the till

Ever been to a hypermarket? Massive enough to get lost in, but still boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ...and those mischievous anti-cheap milk scamps (aka cunts) who wander around leaving 2 litre milk containers all over the feckin shop!

Never heard of that one but I heard of people who go around putting random items off the shelves into other peoples' trolleys when they are not looking just for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Don't get why anywhere would give you something free if the price was wrong, or even charge less if the price was lower on the shelf. The shelf price is called an 'invitation to treat', when you get to the till you will be informed of the actual price, and whether you buy it at that stage is entirely up to the customer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The shops I use I tend to be a return customer so I try not to act the cock when I'm in them.

Don't get why anywhere would give you something free if the price was wrong, or even charge less if the price was lower on the shelf. The shelf price is called an 'invitation to treat', when you get to the till you will be informed of the actual price, and whether you buy it at that stage is entirely up to the customer

You don't get it free if you notice before you pay. It's only if you're actually charged (ie. have already paid).

It was introduced in tesco years ago as there was some big court case where they were accused of having a huge amount of pricing errors. They brought this policy in to make them look honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

So Tesco has these policies, not sure why you didn't mention the name in the OP.
    It's a sad day when saying a supermarket obviously refers to a Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

try working at a supermarket and then post this.. people don't purposely overprice you it's an accident and we generally apologise for doing so.

also can people stop blaming the person working in the shop for something being too expensive, they don't decide the price of things they just work there.

and no we cannot give you something free cos we actually want to keep our jobs even if we don't even get paid minimum wage at 18..

saa wrote: »
    So Tesco has these policies, not sure why you didn't mention the name in the OP.
    It's a sad day when saying a supermarket obviously refers to a Tesco.

if you read the whole thread i wrote in another post (after being asked) that the 1st two were superquinn policies- and the 3rd was tesco

they used to have them on big signs all over the store- now they are hidden behind the customer service desk- but they are there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

etc

*pats self on back*

Pah, pleb.

• Advertisement

Pah, pleb.

you know sometimes your words- they hurt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Superquin and tesco polices?

Never heard of that if my life over here.
    Quite frankly sounds bullshit. Because you would have every chancer smudging a barcode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You are spotting their mistakes and informing them.

They'd prefer if someone tells them so they can correct it instead of getting a reputation for messed up pricing mistakes and losing customers

Win win

Tesco used to give the item for free if you were overcharged, now it's double the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I used to work in Superquinn years ago. The "barcode won't scan so it's free" policy actually meant if the barcode won't scan or be keyed in. That way if customers smudged the barcode it made no difference, you just typed in the numbers.

There was only a few products a week that didn't scan, in fairness to superquinn they would get them sorted pretty quick. For example you would write down the barcode number of the non scanning product and it would be fixed the next day, sometimes even on the same day.

I used to take advantage of it the odd time when buying my lunch. If I noticed something like a 6 pack of ice cream mars not scanning at my till, you can be sure I'd go to buy it myself and then get it for free :D.

A couple of years later I worked in a large DIY store. At least 5% of their products didn't scan and they never did anything to fix it. You'd always and I mean always get the customer saying "Oooooh it won't scan, it must be free" thinking they're hilairious. The odd one would be serious though, as if it was their basic consumer right to get their new power drill for free and would give me abuse over it. Fcuking Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, I blame Superquinn for all this.
    they had there thing in the 90's where you got clubcard points if you were waiting more than 60 seconds in a queue with tills not open, if you found something out of date, and several other things.
    but the worst one as already stated was the if it doesnt scan you get it free, where I was working everyone expected it because SQ did it, you'd be tempted to tell people to go do their shopping there instead then.

afaik the free item if you're overcharged actually started with Dunnes, Tesco just followed suit to avoid losing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

recyclebin wrote: »
    When I worked in Dunnes Stores a few years ago (late 2007) you could get the item free if the price on the shelf didn't match the price at the checkout. The trick was to pay for the stuff and then look at your receipt and tell them you were overcharged. If you told them before you paid they would just check the price and reduce it to the correct price at the till

Thats still the case, at least in limerick/clare dunnes anyway. Full refund of price paid and item free once you went to customer service after you paid.

:mad:
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    Quite frankly sounds bullshit. .

i have seen the signs in superquinn saying if an item doesnt scan its free

and im not bull****tn!!:mad:

edit- few people after your post(inc someone who worked in superquinn) just said its a policy in superquinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

recyclebin wrote: »

Well I don't think applies any more. just got overcharged 40cent for deep heat in Dunnes Killarney, shelf said €3.99 was charged €4.39, went back got a refund of 40 cent, First time ever going back with an item as i was buying it for someone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I take note of how much each item im buying costs hwen putting it in the basket.

I also have a calculator with me to check how much I should be paying.

If it doesnt add up I always say it.

It might only be the difference of a few euro, but over the months and years it all adds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I take note of how much each item im buying costs hwen putting it in the basket.

I also have a calculator with me to check how much I should be paying.

If it doesnt add up I always say it.

It might only be the difference of a few euro, but over the months and years it all adds up!

if ye save a little each week you'll be amazed at how little it is at the end of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

forfuxsake wrote: »
    if ye save a little each week you'll be amazed at how little it is at the end of the year!

its still my money, and id rather it be in my pocket than in the pocket of the likes of ben dunne etc.

if everyone is so passive with claiming whats rightfully theirs, then its likely these giant companies are pocketing even more cash than they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

:mad:

i have seen the signs in superquinn saying if an item doesnt scan its free

and im not bull****tn!!:mad:

edit- few people after your post(inc someone who worked in superquinn) just said its a policy in superquinn
    Aye it's their No Quibble policy (can be downright detrimental to a business though)
    biko wrote: »
    Dear lord i see this all the time, cans and biscuits etc are one thing, but who in their right mind thinks it's ok just to leave food that needs to be refrigerated or is cooked on just any old shelf nearby?
    If it's not discovered fast enough (as many leave it behind an item so it wont get noticed) it'll go bad and can be a food safety hazard if someone else picks it up. No one benefits and the supermarket gets the blame if something goes wrong
    xclw wrote: »
    try working at a supermarket and then post this.. people don't purposely overprice you it's an accident and we generally apologise for doing so.

also can people stop blaming the person working in the shop for something being too expensive, they don't decide the price of things they just work there.

and no we cannot give you something free cos we actually want to keep our jobs even if we don't even get paid minimum wage at 18..
    I never got the whole "give out at the person at the till" thing. They were hired to work at the till, you want to give out about being overcharged? ask to speak to that particular dept's head or the pricing dept...not the person sitting down scanning your items in.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Never seen the 'free because it won't scan' policy - that's just an invite for people to wreck the barcodes on expensive products.
    Superquinn have it as i have mentioned above, it's their No Quibbles (i love that word) policy. It only applies if the item cant be scanned in or keyed in (i've asked) and even then the checkout person has to ask their supervisor or manager for permission to give it for free (you can get sacked if you do it without the permission) and the staff usually take note of the item and the barcode in order to prevent it happening with that item again as i assume not only Superquinn do.
    Tesco have the double difference one (which i've benefited from myself recently when an offer on Star Wars diecast figures didn't work, got nearly a tenner back and they were polite about it so no complaints there)

Damn now this supermarket talk is making me hunger for some Superquinn donuts and aldi tigerbread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Which begs the question - how much is 15 minutes of your life really worth?

You should read this http://begthequestion.info/ before using that sentence again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sindri wrote: »
    I like eggs.

Do you?

Squirrel eggs.

Advertisement