Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless modem problem

• 17-01-2012 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have one of the default modems that upc ships out (The Cisco EPC2425 model ).

Lately ive noticed that in addition to my wpa protected wireless network there is also a unprotected wireless network that is only on when my router is on. I think the unprotected network belongs to my router but in the wireless configuration setting (192.168.1.1 page) there is no unprotected network only the wpa network.

Furthermore this morning the wpa protected was really slow so i checked the modems log in page 192.168.1.1 and i found a unknown device connected in the mac address logs. So someone else was on my network.

Is this a common enough problem with the upc router or am i the only one with this problem?

Also does anyone know how to access the 'advanced' section of page 192.168.1.1 configuration ?-its asks for a password and username but the username and password i set doesen't work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

PIVP7z7 wrote: »
    I have one of the default modems that upc ships out (The Cisco EPC2425 model ).

Lately ive noticed that in addition to my wpa protected wireless network there is also a unprotected wireless network that is only on when my router is on. I think the unprotected network belongs to my router but in the wireless configuration setting (192.168.1.1 page) there is no unprotected network only the wpa network.

Furthermore this morning the wpa protected was really slow so i checked the modems log in page 192.168.1.1 and i found a unknown device connected in the mac address logs. So someone else was on my network.

Is this a common enough problem with the upc router or am i the only one with this problem?

Also does anyone know how to access the 'advanced' section of page 192.168.1.1 configuration ?-its asks for a password and username but the username and password i set doesen't work.

My EPC2425 used to broadcast an unsecured "other network" as well as my own, I think it's a bug, I got rid of it doing a complete reset of modem... seems to have fixed it.
    U can't access the advanced tab, UPC use only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PIVP7z7

mark17j wrote: »
    My EPC2425 used to broadcast an unsecured "other network" as well as my own, I think it's a bug, I got rid of it doing a complete reset of modem... seems to have fixed it.
    U can't access the advanced tab, UPC use only.

I already reset it twice. First it didn't work. After the second time now it works sometimes-sometimes i can see the 'other network' and other times i cant see the 'other network'. Its strange the 'other network', for me my pc says that there is no signal and no encryption. I tried connecting to it but it failed to connect. But someone this morning managed to get in (mac address logs).

How can i fix this ? Can i buy a new modem for use with a upc connection-a cable connection is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

dont u mean its one of them modems that upc poop's out;)
    also not totally certain whats happening, but imo u should reset by pressing d button on back of modem for 30 secs, if it keeps happening, change your password settings on it to something that only ull know obviously

I already reset it twice. First it didn't work. After the second time now it works sometimes-sometimes i can see the 'other network' and other times i cant see the 'other network'. Its strange the 'other network', for me my pc says that there is no signal and no encryption. I tried connecting to it but it failed to connect. But someone this morning managed to get in (mac address logs).

How can i fix this ? Can i buy a new modem for use with a upc connection-a cable connection is that right?

It seems to be a problem with these modems, but ever since I did a factory reset "other network'' doesn't show up anymore... I could never connect to the "Other Network" my modem was broadcasting, so I wasn't that concerned about it really, nobody ever accessed my network from outside thank god. U can buy a seperate router and connect it to the cisco using bridge mode, but if u have UPC phone, that will not work.

It seems to be a problem with these modems, but ever since I did factory reset "other network'' doesn't show up anymore... I could never connect to the "Other Network" my modem was broadcasting, so I wasn't that concerned about it really, nobody ever accessed my network from outside thanks god. U can buy a seperate router and connect it to the cisco using bridge mode, but if u have UPC phone, that will not work.

Thats a problem really. So i have to decide between secure internet or a having a phone line? Neither is what i can do without especially since im paying for both.

But someone did manage to connect to 'the other network'-i saw a mac address log today that wasn't mine.

Could i ask chorus ntl for a new modem perhaps? would i have to pay for this? has anyone bought a new modem from ntl because of a problem with their router?

• Advertisement

Thats a problem really. So i have to decide between secure internet or a having a phone line? Neither is what i can do without especially since im paying for both.

But someone did manage to connect to 'the other network'-i saw a mac address log today that wasn't mine.

Could i ask chorus ntl for a new modem perhaps? would i have to pay for this? has anyone bought a new modem from ntl because of a problem with their router?

Give them a call, or better still contact them on Twitter, see what they say. I had a modem replaced for free before without charge..
    But I'd try and reset it again, get a pen and hold down small button at the back for 10 seconds and retry, as I said this cured the problem for me.

Give them a call, or better still contact them on Twitter, see what they say. I had a modem replaced for free before without charge..
    But I'd try and reset it again, get a pen and hold down small button at the back for 10 seconds and retry, as I said this cured the problem for me.

Ok so for the third time ive reset the router-so far so good. Though in fairness the second time round it went haywire in less than 24 hours. If i see the 'other network' again ill probably ring up upc-are the thompson routers any better than the cisco models?

Ok so for the third time ive reset the router-so far so good. Though in fairness the second time round it went haywire in less than 24 hours. If i see the 'other network' again ill probably ring up upc-are the thompson routers any better than the cisco models?

Hopefully it should be fine now. As far as I know they don't give out the Thompson anymore, the new 50mb/100mb packages come with the new Cisco EPC3925. which I heard gives bad upload speeds and bridge mode is disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hopefully it should be fine now. As far as I know they don't give out the Thompson anymore, the new 50mb/100mb packages come with the new Cisco EPC3925. which I heard gives bad upload speeds and bridge mode is disabled.

and i'm on the 50mb package and getting a max of 27mb download speed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all just trying to log into the new cisco modem/router can someone please tell me how this is done all i want to do is change channel as a few of the neighbours are on the same channel so i want to pick one that on one is on cheers in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Look at the sticky, and don't drag up old and unrelated threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement