Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Garda take too many liberties?

• 17-01-2012 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Regarding minor laws. Abusing their position.

I see it every day in traffic.

Using the blue lights to pass through traffic lights and turn them off again as soon as they pass.

Speeding everywhere, tailgating and parking anywhere they like with no regard to the public and other road users. ( Just go to the courts or the city stations anytime during the day and you will find a selection of unmarked cars parked blocking the footpath).

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6475/dcctransportcommiteeidi.jpg
    Do as I say, not as I do. WHY DONT THEY GET CLAMPED

I think they do take to many liberties in their jobs. Do You?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I think the gardai do a thankless job and get way too much of a hard time here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What's wrong with turning blue lights off once through the traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I was driving today. I met a garda car on a back country road. She had the door open so you could only squeeze by.

She wasn't even doing anything?

Not laying down the law just at the side of the road with the door open completely unconcerned with nearly causing an accident.

EDIT

Oh Yeah, she tried to feel me up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

they only need the blue lights when there is cars around. if there is no one to warn about the speeding garda car then why put them on?

FatherLen wrote: »
    they only need the blue lights when there is cars around. if there is no one to warn about the speeding garda car then why put them on?

Maybe he likes the pretty lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

MagicSean wrote: »
    Maybe he likes the pretty lights.

i know i do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Sindri wrote: »
    I was driving today. I met a garda car on a back country road. She had the door open so you could only squeeze by.

She wasn't even doing anything?

Not laying down the law just at the side of the road with the door open completely unconcerned with nearly causing an accident.

EDIT

Oh Yeah, she tried to feel me up to.

what was she doing laying on the road ?

mattjack wrote: »

She was blocking traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, because that's where I want my Gardaí when I'm in trouble. Stuck at lights or behind slow moving traffic.

Also, has anyone found Wally in the pic yet? (I don't get why it was added to the post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

<random unsubstantiated claim about Garda incompetence >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Regarding minor laws. Abusing their position.

I see it every day in traffic.

Using the blue lights to pass through traffic lights and turn them off again as soon as they pass.

Speeding everywhere, tailgating and parking anywhere they like with no regard to the public and other road users. ( Just go to the courts or the city stations anytime during the day and you will find a selection of unmarked cars parked blocking the foo
    http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6475/dcctransportcommiteeidi.jpg
    Do as I say, not as I do. WHY DONT THEY GET CLAMPED

I think they do take to many liberties in their jobs. Do You?
    With the exception of the blues, I'd say this describes a lot of Irish motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Maybe if OP was getting the crap kicked out of him in an alley, the siren might sound a little sweeter. Mind boggling stuff, this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Never really had any bad experiences of the Gardai.

Never really had any bad experiences of the Gardai.

You're not from down the country then are you?

*spits*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' Yay!
    Its the monthly "let's find another reason to start a thread to knock the Gardi."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

@OP, know any politicians who broke the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah, because that's where I want my Gardaí when I'm in trouble. Stuck at lights or behind slow moving traffic.

Also, has anyone found Wally in the pic yet? (I don't get why it was added to the post).
    the pic looks like its outside a garda station and i assume the red car blocking some of the lane is a garda car or supposed to be a garda car.

You're not from down the country then are you?

*spits*

Does Cork count as down the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I find the garda generally to be decent. Only one or two bad experiences.

I know a few people that wouldn't even bother calling them if their car/bike/house was robbed.

Like in every job, some people are good, and some couldn't give 2 fúcks.

I'd be a total bastard if I was a traffic cop. Complete and utter BASTARD.

Totally tyrannical unreasonable fuckin BASTARD

Otherwise I'd be grand.

• Advertisement

Does Cork count as down the country?

Pfffttt we don't want you....

So...

Would you like me to translate this in to Corkonian?

Yes?

OK.

Like..................**** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

mattjack wrote: »

Sleeping policewoman?

for years I formed my opinion of AGS from negative experiences and ancedotes. Then recently I realised for every negative story there were Gardai who dived into rivers to save lives, entered fires without breathing apparatus to save lives, confronted dangerous criminals to save lives and theres even some who just do a good job without being heros. They must be jaded with all the focus on the negatives.

I know a woman who left her turkey on a bus. Garda followed bus and got it for her :). Someone else I know completed an official form in the garda station and forgot to get it stamped - on his way home after duty garda got it out of the post box ( don't ask me how) brought it back to station and stamped it and put it back into the post...

These are two lighthearted stories - there are plenty of serious accounts if you are open minded.

Pfffttt we don't want you....

I'm only half Cork (the bad half).

Born NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I think the gardai do a thankless job and get way too much of a hard time here.
    I agree, but does that excuse them from abusing the minor laws they should be enforcing?
    chin_grin wrote: »

If they where speeding to your aid, surly they would not slow down and turn off the blues after they passed the traffic lights.

I should add I don't like them very much as I have been stopped plenty of times for nothing. I don't even wear a tracksuit.

Born NI.

Only way to fix that I'm afraid is a saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The one thing I am not too fond of is the 2-3 times since Jan '11 I have seen Gardai on the phone, hardly fair to give people fines and penalty points for doing it if a few of them are too!

There's a good half????? Must have put that in since I left!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The one thing I am not too fond of is the 2-3 times since Jan '11 I have seen Gardai on the phone, hardly fair to give people fines and penalty points for doing it if a few of them are too!

I always wonder why people stick on this one point. If a Garda spots a stolen car and does an illegal u-turn to follow it does that mean they shouldn't prosecute people for doing illegal u-turns. The fact is that Gardaí on duty are exempt from the Road Traffic Acts for a reason. There's no way of knowing if the Garda is on the phone for a work related issue but people just assume it is personal.

I always wonder why people stick on this one point. If a Garda spots a stolen car and does an illegal u-turn to follow it does that mean they shouldn't prosecute people for doing illegal u-turns. The fact is that Gardaí on duty are exempt from the Road Traffic Acts for a reason. There's no way of knowing if the Garda is on the phone for a work related issue but people just assume it is personal.

I heard ye get to call the flirtchat hotline for free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think we need more Gardai in the liberties myself.

#didn't read thread

They are all issued with radios, the cars have radios and they should do what other motorists are forced to do and buy a bluetooth or the like.

An illegal U-turn that may save a persons life or catch a criminal is one thing, getting a call to a handset is irresponsible when there are alternative methods.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    They are all issued with radios, the cars have radios and they should do what other motorists are forced to do and buy a bluetooth or the like.

An illegal U-turn that may save a persons life or catch a criminal is one thing, getting a call to a handset is irresponsible when there are alternative methods.

There are occasions when a radio is not suitable.

When Tubridy is on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Random wrote: »
    the pic looks like its outside a garda station and i assume the red car blocking some of the lane is a garda car or supposed to be a garda car.
    The station is Pearse street, also the only lane of traffic is the bus lane on the very left hand side of the road, where the bus is, It's Public Service Vehicles only on that street, the black focus is parked. What is with the constant Garda bashing on Boards, they do a thankless job!!

And what about an ear piece?? Blue tooth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

To be fair, I've had very few run-ins with AGS, but that time they suspected me for kidnapping a bank manager for ransom they were sound out about the whole thing.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    The station is Pearse street, also the only lane of traffic is the bus lane on the very left hand side of the road, where the bus is, It's Public Service Vehicles only on that street, the black focus is parked. What is with the constant Garda bashing on Boards, they do a thankless job!!

I thought they got paid. Have not seen a poor one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I worked in a certain Club where they were allowed in free of charge. I was new on the door till and these 2 men with their women appeared. They said they allways got in no problem. WINK WINK NOD NOD. I didnt know what he was on about then he gets out the badge. I said I didnt know anything about it. He talked to the doormen and they said I was to let him in. I said no way as i was only new there .
    Manager comes down . "oh Yes go ahead lads"

Manager then told me she allways allows police in free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Great bunch of lads, anyone who ever criticises a cop is obviously a scumbag/layabout/begrudger/scrounger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I saw two gardai with their lights and sirens on driving up Georges st. All the cars were pulling over to let the garda car through.

The passengers in the back were also gardai- female and dressed for Flanneries/Coppers.

I think thats an abuse of power :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

30Min wrote: »
    I saw two gardai with their lights and sirens on driving up Georges st. All the cars were pulling over to let the garda car through.

The passengers in the back were also gardai- female and dressed for Flanneries/Coppers.

I think thats an abuse of power :p

how do you know? they could have been girls arrested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Wasn't there some tribunal about Garda corruption lately. I seem to remember alot of liberties being taken with our laws. Some disgraceful stuff went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wasn't there some tribunal about Garda corruption lately. I seem to remember alot of liberties being taken with our laws. Some disgraceful stuff went on.

Ah yeah but they were definitely the only ones who would do something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If you think the Guards are bad you should see the Branch in action. They love t othrow their weight around and make threats especially to young people. They are also notorious for stealing phones of those they stop and search,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you think the Guards are bad you should see the Branch in action. They love t othrow their weight around and make threats especially to young people.

Young people should be threatened though. It's the only thing that keeps them in line. Personally, I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Young people should be threatened though. It's the only thing that keeps them in line. Personally, I'm all for it.

Ain't that the truth! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think we need more Gardai in the liberties myself.

#didn't read thread

Do we fcuk!!! Shut up ye bollix. :mad:

I know a few Garda and would describe them as some of the most upstanding people I know. Really.

I have been accused of bashing . If complaining of bad parking and small things that piss me off is the limit of Garda bashing here, then god help the Garda in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

RichieC wrote: »
    how do you know? they could have been girls arrested...

Because I don't think its usual for gardai to be laughing and joking with people they have just arrested. All 5 of them, 2 male Gardai in the front and 3 females in the back had great big grins on their faces and generally looked like they were having a blast.

And more importantly- my mate is a Garda and she used to boast heavily about this exact thing happening in her station.

I witnessed this in May 2010- maybe things have changed since, I dont know...

30Min wrote: »
    Because I don't think its usual for gardai to be laughing and joking with people they have just arrested. All 5 of them, 2 male Gardai in the front and 3 females in the back had great big grins on their faces and generally looked like they were having a blast.

And more importantly- my mate is a Garda and she used to boast heavily about this exact thing happening in her station.

I witnessed this in May 2010- maybe things have changed since, I dont know...

Some criminals are sound.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement