Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have noisy dogs apparently

Comments

Well we are going to start a youtube channel to help document everything. So we will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My friend had neighbours like that who knocked in over every little noise even during the day about the TV the kids were watching set to a normal volume:rolleyes: they were bullies simple as.

His Solution was to put his speakers facing the dividing wall with volume up real high and set a cd on repeat and went out for the day:D neighbour was banging on his door when they got home going mad and my mate told him it wouldnt happen again if he stopped giving out about everything. he hasnt had a knock since

To be honest i dont want to make it any worse. As i mentioned we have done all we can do in this situation by only letting the dogs out for a pee. The rest is up to him. As i mentioned we have spoken to the guards and they have taken a note of it. I am contemplating Harassment since he was looking for compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I wouldn't let this guy bully you in your own home, the next time he knocks in I would just tell him not to bother you again with his complaints and you don't want him knocking on your door in future. I would hazard a guess that he has had that response from other neighbours and so has seen you as an easier option now, hence you getting the visits and him being reluctant to approach other neighbours.

If you don't think the dogs are behaving in a way as to annoy neighbours, judging from your posts you seem a very reasonable person, so I would assume that they aren't and this guy is taking advantage of your nature.

Deal with him the next time he knocks, explain that he shouldn't knock again, live your life and allow your dogs the freedom they deserve as long as you can reasonably assert that they aren't imposing on anyone else with their barking or general behaviour. Make videos of an average day if you think evidence is necessary, but certainly don't put yourself through the hassle of recording on a constant basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

anniehoo wrote: »
    I actually wouldnt ignore them, ive seen first hand what can happen to animals if neighbours ignore other neighbours. Lets just say if food gets thrown over your wall it wont be as a treat. This may sound extreme but its not at all.
    Sadly I have to second that, I too had a springer and while he was usually very quiet, when he made noise he did it with all the passion his breed can muster. We had some very unsavoury tenants next door who objected to this, they shouted and threw stones at him, and one evening he staggered in from the back off his head and collapsed. After a week in the vets hospital we had to give him the final medication.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Simply not true. The dog owner has just as much right to enjoy their property. There is no situation where this could be "fatal" to the dogs. The only reason for ordering the death of a dog is if the animal is regarded as dangerous.

No legal situation where this Has to be fatal to the dogs perhaps.
    However the illegal scenario is above and a legal scenario could in extremis involve an escalation of neighbourly hostility to the point where the negotiations lead to rehoming or destruction of the dogs "voluntarily". With negative equity etc. moving house is not an option for many people these days.

• Advertisement

Well here thisevening and how long they stay out the back for . We do this 4 to 5 times a day. During the summer we cant leave them out, just in case we get more knocks on the door. You can here dogs barking but they are not ours.

http://youtu.be/z9pa7fbwlpQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Nothing wrong at all with your dogs... if only my lot were as quiet :o

2 of our Terriers sound like they are being slaughtered when we let them out but thankfully my neighbours are not bothered at all.

I could hear the dogs in the background and can only imagine that your neighbour has decided that noise is your gang.

It is such a shame that such an ignorant, close minded person is ruining the dogs brilliant play area :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I really feel for you, Dre. Has this guy nothing better to do? I think that video footage could stand to you in the future, so keep it up. :)

Beautiful dogs by the way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cedrus wrote: »
    No legal situation where this Has to be fatal to the dogs perhaps.
    However the illegal scenario is above and a legal scenario could in extremis involve an escalation of neighbourly hostility to the point where the negotiations lead to rehoming or destruction of the dogs "voluntarily". With negative equity etc. moving house is not an option for many people these days.

Oh I am sure that there are cases where people have been misinformed or bullied into unnecessary action.

OP whilst you don't want to be confrontational it seems very unlikely that the neighbour is going to let this rest. So you may need to be the proactive one to avoid this escalating. I would write to the neighbour & state that you wish to be a good neighbour however you find his complaints to be totally unjustified & that you will regard any further complaint as harassment. Make it clear that you are the injured party. I would also mention that you have spoken to the Gardai & that they will be receiving a copy of the letter.

I would send the letter by recorded delivery post as it will reinforce your position. You could even begin the letter with "I have been advised to write to you to confirm the situation regarding your allegations". This plus the recorded delivery will give the impression that you have taken legal advice. I would end the letter along the lines of "I regret that you have taken such as unreasonable stance on this matter & in the light of this, I will not entertain any further discussion.

I wouldn't go overboard filming evidence. It is not up to you to prove your innocence.

boomerang wrote: »
    I really feel for you, Dre. Has this guy nothing better to do? I think that video footage could stand to you in the future, so keep it up. :)

Beautiful dogs by the way. :)

Im ok, its the misses that is the worrier as they are her babys.She has not eaten since yesterday !! As i mentioned in the video they have been louder then that. Woody is a barker if he see's strangers, BelongstoJazz knows that :) Which actually makes him a good guard dog as he lets us know if somebody is on the back wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I was going to say the same as belongtojazz, I could hear another dog in the background, much louder than your gang.

Best of luck with all of this, any kind of conflict is horrible to have to deal with, whether you're in the right or not.

I don't honestly know, but what is the situation with someone working from home, as your neighbour apparently is. Would insurance companies have to be notified? Local councils?

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't honestly know, but what is the situation with someone working from home, as your neighbour apparently is. Would insurance companies have to be notified? Local councils?

In these situations I would be very wary of trying to get one's own back. I would keep strictly to the matter in hand so that you can never be accused of trying to escalate the conflict. The neighbour is very clearly in the wrong & the OP doesn't need to sink to their level.

Im ok, its the misses that is the worrier as they are her babys.She has not eaten since yesterday !! As i mentioned in the video they have been louder then that. Woody is a barker if he see's strangers, BelongstoJazz knows that :) Which actually makes him a good guard dog as he lets us know if somebody is on the back wall.

Tell her not to worry, this neighbour does not have a leg to stand on, but if Woody needs to go on hols my offer of a swap with any of mine still stands (well except for his playmate Jazz lol)

On a more serious note if it starting to take it's toll like that on her health this has to stop, could you maybe call in to him when you are calm and the dogs aren't around and ask him to explain why a few minutes of dogs being dogs is upsetting him so much, also tell him the negative affect his complaining is having on yourother half.
    Your dogs are clearly not the problem here, he is!

On a more serious note if it starting to take it's toll like that on her health this has to stop, could you maybe call in to him when you are calm and the dogs aren't around and ask him to explain why a few minutes of dogs being dogs is upsetting him so much, also tell him the negative affect his complaining is having on yourother half.
    Your dogs are clearly not the problem here, he is!

I think that I would avoid any more conversation because it's too easy for the neighbour to misrepresent it - unless it's recorded. He could easily accuse the OP of calling to cause trouble rather than as a peacemaker. The usual advice is to put everything in writing.

I was going to say the same as belongtojazz, I could hear another dog in the background, much louder than your gang.

That dog you hear is 1 of 2 which garden backs onto his. When his wife confronted the other half about it , she asked her about those dogs. She put up her hand and ignored the question. Saying Sort it out.

Yesterday i asked him about those dogs and he refused to comment on it 3 times.

This dogs bark and bark and bark. There is another dog which goes on until 3 - 4 in the morning. He just seems to be fixated on us. I also mentioned the fact that we live beside a motorway which is also loud.

As i mentioned before he has had success getting the other neighbours to get rid of their dog. So maybe he thinks he can do the same with ourselves. I did tell him he was lucky to have us next door. My family are Garda. We also dont drink or have parties. Pretty boring really :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It depends on the work. If you're just sitting at your computer, making a few phone calls, answering emails, writing documents, then no, you don't have to inform anyone.

If you're having clients in and out visiting the premises then you have to let your home insurance company know.

OP, any chance you could ask the neighbour to share his videos/recordings of the dogs being noisy, as you've no idea what he's talking about and would like to see it from his perspective.

My family are Garda. We also dont drink or have parties. Pretty boring really :P

Invite a few "family" in uniform to a play with the doggies garden party - that should do the trick !

In these situations I would be very wary of trying to get one's own back. I would keep strictly to the matter in hand so that you can never be accused of trying to escalate the conflict. The neighbour is very clearly in the wrong & the OP doesn't need to sink to their level.

I meant, if the neighbour is going to complain about the noise, say they are going to lose their job because of it and claim compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So basically what they are saying is , my dogs are noisy for 5 minutes in the morning, probably 20 minutes in the evening and 5 minutes at night.

How can that interfere with him doing his job???

OP are you 100% sure they're not barking during the day when you're not there?

I'd maybe go around to the neighbours of the barking dogs we can hear in the video for a chat and ask them if they've had any run-ins with your guy next door - it sounds like they have and they told him where to go?
    We had similar neighbours like this thinking they owned the road when they were making all the noise themselves and one by one everyone they complained to politely told them to gtfo over the years. They complained cos my dad was singing in the hall one evening at 9:30pm - their kids who were out playing on the road needed their sleep! :rolleyes:

I meant, if the neighbour is going to complain about the noise, say they are going to lose their job because of it and claim compensation.

Couldn't you lend the OP a few proper Hounds - then the neighbours would know what real barking is like :D

I had a group howl with mine earlier ! My little guy does the most amazing howl - you could never believe that such a racket comes from such an innocent looking little dog. It would of scared the cr*p out of the OP's neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

seamus wrote: »
    They have no grounds on which to make any complaint unless the noise is excessive and constant or repeated. Or unless it's out of hours.

Your are entitled to make noise on your own property, particularly during the day, provided that it doesn't affect the quality of life of others.

Take a video camera and record a "session" with your dogs out the back to demonstrate how noisy they are. Keep this recording as evidence that your dogs aren't too loud.

They can complain to you all they like, just keep saying, "yeah, yeah, I'll sort it" and then go back to ignoring them.
    My friend had neighbours like that who knocked in over every little noise even during the day about the TV the kids were watching set to a normal volume:rolleyes: they were bullies simple as.

His Solution was to put his speakers facing the dividing wall with volume up real high and set a cd on repeat and went out for the day:D neighbour was banging on his door when they got home going mad and my mate told him it wouldnt happen again if he stopped giving out about everything. he hasnt had a knock since

As a dog owner I find this militant attitude to other people very poor, its the irish to hell with everyone else viewpoint and I'll do as I damn well please.
    Interpreting the impact of noise is very subjective and can be affected by small variables, If someone came to me with a complaint I would take it seriously, the generally inconsiderate and immature replies here do nothing for dog owners.
    As springers are so energetic maybe you need to walk/exercise them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Dre do you do agility with your dogs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Merch wrote: »
    Interpreting the impact of noise is very subjective and can be affected by small variables,

Interpreting the contents of other peoples posts is also very subjective apparently!
    Originally Posted by seamus viewpost.gif
    They have no grounds on which to make any complaint unless the noise is excessive and constant or repeated. Or unless it's out of hours.

Your are entitled to make noise on your own property, particularly during the day, provided that it doesn't affect the quality of life of others.

Have you not read this thread at all. :confused:

I have zero tolerance to millitant attitudes towards other people which is exactly why the OP's neighbour would get a close up view of the front door from me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Interpreting the contents of other peoples posts is also very subjective apparently!

Have you not read this thread at all. :confused:

I have zero tolerance to millitant attitudes towards other people which is exactly why the OP's neighbour would get a close up view of the front door from me. :D

So if someone approached your door and said, "your dogs are too noisy, can you do something about it" you'd slam the door in their face? the OP said themselves its a number of complaints.
    I'll bet if a person just reported you to whatever local council is, you be complaining they didnt just come and talk to you about it.

I find it hard to believe the OP's post isn't one sided, at the least they make it sound like they cant see the other persons side of things. Really though, no one here knows the circumstances except the OP. Perhaps people here should look to see how more/better organised countries deal with things in relation to noise.

It sounds very much to me like the OP, Like many dog owners, has dogs, but doesnt exercise them enough/at all, springers are going to need a lot of exercise and not just in the back garden. My dog doesnt bark as its not seeking attention and is worn out from a guaranteed walk per day if not two. If the numbers of dog owners and the amount they are walked in my road is anything to go by, the vast majority of pets are not walked at all or infrequently.

It sounds very much to me like the OP, Like many dog owners, has dogs, but doesnt exercise them enough/at all, springers are going to need a lot of exercise and not just in the back garden. My dog doesnt bark as its not seeking attention and is worn out from a guaranteed walk per day if not two. If the numbers of dog owners and the amount they are walked in my road is anything to go by, the vast majority of pets are not walked at all or infrequently.

And maybe the dogs are just noisy players! I do agility a couple of times a week with my girl, she gets walked every day for an hour or more and I do a lot of playing and training with her (and the others) and even with all that she can be a hyper, barking, noisey little madam.... and she's a Jack Russel, my Springer is as quiet as a mouse after an hours walk, unless a stranger comes up to the house.

My dogs are not seeking attention and they are well exercised, they just get vocal sometimes.

I do not believe lack of exercise or attention is an issue in this case.
    The issue here seems to be a neighbour blamimg the OP for noise made by ALL of the dogs in the area, not just his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

So if someone approached your door and said, "your dogs are too noisy, can you do something about it" you'd slam the door in their face? the OP said themselves its a number of complaints.
    I'll bet if a person just reported you to whatever local council is, you be complaining they didnt just come and talk to you about it.
    My dog doesn't bark, there are people at home 24/7 so I know this for a fact and what you are describing is a polite request, the OP is being harassed by nutters.
    It sounds very much to me like the OP, Like many dog owners, has dogs, but doesnt exercise them enough/at all, springers are going to need a lot of exercise and not just in the back garden. My dog doesn't bark as its not seeking attention and is worn out from a guaranteed walk per day if not two. If the numbers of dog owners and the amount they are walked in my road is anything to go by, the vast majority of pets are not walked at all or infrequently.

The OP's dogs aren't the ones causing the noise, your dog doesn't bark - so what would you do if you were the one who was being 'shown the hand' and being given all this attitude and constant harassment that the OP is getting from his neighbours?

Why are you assuming that the OP is not exercising their dogs, your making a lot of sweeping statements and accusations there that are completely unfounded.

Couldn't you lend the OP a few proper Hounds - then the neighbours would know what real barking is like :D

I'll have you know that my dogs don't bark.:mad:

They howl, oh do they howl:D

Dre do you do agility with your dogs ?

Yes woody is starting back tomorrow. Sor far thismorning we had about 6 barks in the space of an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, I had a similar situation with one of my neighbours a while ago, so I set up my webcam to record the dogs, as a laptop can record all day whereas a camcorder only has an hour or so. The result was that over the course of a week my dogs barked for approx. 5 minutes, and my neighbour was politely told to take his complaints to the other houses on the road; whose dog I could hear at 0730 when I feed mine, and still going at 1800 when I came back from work.

I'd definitely recommend recording all day for a week or so; that way if any Gardai do knock at the door you have proof of exactly how much noise your dogs make and at what times of the day.

I'd be tempted to tell the neighbour to get used to some noise, since you've just found out that you're having triplets :D

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to tell the neighbour to get used to some noise, since you've just found out that you're having triplets :D

Twins actually do run the the family :)

Advertisement