Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six month smiles clinics in cork

Options
  • 17-01-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi just wondering if anyone has had these braces from anywhere in cork city and how have they found the braces and the providers , I am looking into places at the mo to get them done and would love some feed back from anyone who has already had them thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Sue_2 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone has had these braces from anywhere in cork city and how have they found the braces and the providers , I am looking into places at the mo to get them done and would love some feed back from anyone who has already had them thanks :)

I have the invisalign braces got like 6 weeks left with them, very happy so far with the results my teeth are nearly perfect now, I've have the braces for 9 months, is there any specific questions you have about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sue_2

Are they the ones you can take out ? If so where did you get them done , can pm me if you want , I am interested in the train tracks for six months , I am between getting them in two different places in cork city and would love some feed back if possible :) I hate the thought of getting them for longer than six months , I feel I am too old to be dealing with braces but I really want them done and six weeks won't kill me

Sue_2 wrote: »
    Are they the ones you can take out ? If so where did you get them done , can pm me if you want , I am interested in the train tracks for six months , I am between getting them in two different places in cork city and would love some feed back if possible :) I hate the thought of getting them for longer than six months , I feel I am too old to be dealing with braces but I really want them done and six weeks won't kill me

Ya they're the ones you can take out, you get a few attachments on your teeth just like small lumps that allow the braces to click into place and help with moving the teeth, then you get a series of aligners which are a clear plastic molded to the shape of your teeth which you change every two weeks.

So far I've found them to be really good I'm nearly finished with them now and there's a great improvement. Every time I put in the new aligner they can be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days but they settle in quickly but from what I've heard they're far more comfortable then the metal braces and you can eat what you want as you take them out when you're eating which is nice.

I'm 27 myself so getting them done slightly late myself so the shorter time is great, getting treated by town dental in cork and I'm happy with the results so far. Everyone has different requirements though when looking to get my braces done I went to 3 different places got the best option from each and figured this one suited best plus they do a discount for the aviva health insurance.

I hope the info helps, let me know how you get on, and best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Viper would you mind telling me how much yours cost in total? I'd love to get them done... if you also have a link to their website that would be great.

kingtut wrote: »
    Viper would you mind telling me how much yours cost in total? I'd love to get them done... if you also have a link to their website that would be great.

After the discount for the health insurance it's costing me 4000 (pretty expensive but I think it's around about right for this type of treatment), you pay it in installments though - it's like 2000 to start and then the rest is divided by the number of aligners you need here's a link to the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Sue_2

I am thinking of getting the train tracks for 5 mths , it's called six month smile and I would love to hear if anyone has tried it . Invisilign for me would me about 10 months and dearer so thinking I'll go with train tracks . Must decide by end of today , who did you go to viper

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Just wondering if anybody has any more information on this topic? Thinking of 6 month smiles myself. Sue 2 did you go ahead with it in the end? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ciderwithrosie

Hi

I am 2 months in to the six months smiles and got the bottom set out last week, delighted!
    Reckon the tops should be done earlier than the six months too! I got them done in Enniskillen and it cost £2000

I had app for invisalign and couldnt have stuck them - have bottom retainer and its too easy to take out!

PS I am 42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

There was a bit of a write up on thejournal.ie about the 6-month courses being somewhat ineffective in the long run and possibly interfering with your bite etc. I'd say only go with a place that is well established and check that the orthodontist is experienced in all types of train tracks and not just the one type, otherwise you might get less-than-appropriate treatment.

I had train tracks for 2 years in my teens and a retainer for about 3 years after. It was a bloody nightmare (bye bye apples) but it was worth it in the long run - those feckers haven't moved a mm since then (15 years later). I'm not sure 6 months would be long enough to truly correct anything except a very small misalignment. Best of luck anyway!

Advertisement