Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber Frame Construction Raft Foundation Details

• 17-01-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

Worried I may be a pyrite case. Spoke to developer to voice my concerns as builder has gone bust. The person in developer's office was not around when houses were built and is not construction savy (like myself)

He passed on this message to me. "House is pyrite free because of the construction method used. Timber frame sits on raft (or suspended floor slab) and not a ground bearing slab. Any cracks in the house are the result of shrinkage.

He is obviously getting this off the builder but won't let me contact the builder directly because they went bust.

Is there any truth in this? Or is it bull? I would really like to think that my house is pyrite free but also no point in burying the head in the sand!

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Id suggest independent advice given from an on site inspection.

asking the developer is definitely not independent, and of course any response should be considered especially biased.

Pyrite problems with a raft, while i wouldnt rule it out, would seem to be improbable.
    The main issues with pyrite come from it being used as part of the hardcore thats infilled between the rising walls of a cavity wall on a strip foundation. The pyrite causes problems when it swells over time, thus pushing these rising walls outward; causing structural damage.

If the build is on a raft then, even if pyrite is present, its theoretical that it would swell beyond the extents of the raft. but thats only my theory on the issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beanok77

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Id suggest independent advice given from an on site inspection.

asking the developer is definitely not independent, and of course any response should be considered especially biased.

Pyrite problems with a raft, while i wouldnt rule it out, would seem to be improbable.
    The main issues with pyrite come from it being used as part of the hardcore thats infilled between the rising walls of a cavity wall on a strip foundation. The pyrite causes problems when it swells over time, thus pushing these rising walls outward; causing structural damage.

If the build is on a raft then, even if pyrite is present, its theoretical that it would swell beyond the extents of the raft. but thats only my theory on the issue ;)

Thanks for that greatly appreciated. Don't really have the cash to start getting onsite surveys carried out.

I know who the architects are. If I contacted them and asked them for foundation details for my house would they consider giving them to me?

Or would my solicitor have a copy?

That way when I see the detail I can get someone to examine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

beanok77 wrote: »
    He passed on this message to me. "House is pyrite free because of the construction method used. Timber frame sits on raft (or suspended floor slab) and not a ground bearing slab. Any cracks in the house are the result of shrinkage.

Well a raft is a ground bearing slab, so that makes little sense to me.
    But, i agree with commetns above. Pyrite is less of an issue with rafts (in theory)

Advertisement