Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog peeing herself???

• 17-01-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I am fostering a lurcher type dog, she is approx 3 years old and is neutered.

She urinates in her sleep and doesn't realise it.

The vet says she doesn't have a Urinary Tract Infection and that she may have been neutered very young and now cannot control when she urinates..

Would a vet neuter a dog so young and know that this is a risk?
    Does anybody know if anything can be done for her?

She loves staying inside but will have to be put out because of this.

:(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If she's peeing and doesn't realise it, she's incontinent :(
    "Spay incontinence" is a condition associated with early spaying, and is worse with overweight females, but it's not confined to them by any means.
    There is medication available to manage this condition (did your vet not tell you about this?), in some cases it can cause behavioural side-effects, but you've got to try it, because this will drive you mad and may cause urine-scald and sore skin for the lurcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

Thanks...

No, no medication was mentioned.

She is a homeless dog so maybe they thought as I am just fostering her that I wouldn't go to the bother.

Thanks for that, I gotta check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

One of my dogs suffered from this after she lay down she leaked and left a wet patch we tried her on the medication propalin which is not expensive and we found very effective however we were told of possible side effects but thankfully she didn't suffer any of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Might not of even been from an early spay she could just of always had a weakness there but talk to the vet and see if they will try her on a medication and see how it goes, if the medication doesn't work they might be able to do operate.

If you are fostering for a rescue they need to know and they should be covering the cost for you if you haven't agreed to covering the cost yourself. They need to know because not many people will take on a dog with a problem like this so if it can be sorted it'll increase the dogs chances of a home.

Might not of even been from an early spay she could just of always had a weakness there but talk to the vet and see if they will try her on a medication and see how it goes, if the medication doesn't work they might be able to do operate.

If you are fostering for a rescue they need to know and they should be covering the cost for you if you haven't agreed to covering the cost yourself. They need to know because not many people will take on a dog with a problem like this so if it can be sorted it'll increase the dogs chances of a home.

The vet knows that this is wrong with her and they deal with the rescuers.

I will mention it again when she is up for rehoming.

Thanks for all the information.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Tarmina

This is urinary incontinence and is easily treated with a daily tablet....... my own dog has it for about 3 years now. On daily half a tablet and NEVER leaks. Rescue should be made aware of this so she can go on appropriate meds and the problem solved so she can be rehomed.....as opposed to putting her outside for someting she can't help.....if you leave her continue to leak she WILL develop a urinary tract infection eventually from licking herself.

I've told them. What else can I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Great treatment from homeopet I used on a labrador before called leaks no more, not expensive, worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Millem wrote: »
    One of my dogs suffered from this after she lay down she leaked and left a wet patch we tried her on the medication propalin which is not expensive and we found very effective however we were told of possible side effects but thankfully she didn't suffer any of them!

Our collie cross was neutered at about 3 years old and developed exactly the same thing.

Propalin has sorted her out as well.

Can you get propalin in tablet form?
    It helped a little bit but did not completely cure the problem!
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Tarmina

What about Incurin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Propalin (syrup) and incurin (tablet) are 2 common drugs used for treatment of urinary incontinence, so your vet can tell you which is best for you.

Advertisement