Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What butchers sells the most expensive steak?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a expensive steak ( just a once off )

anyone know some posh butchers in Dublin ?

( really won't to try wagyu beef )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

These guys have opened up a shop in Monkstown, they are from Clonmel, Co.Tipp -

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/

They know how to charge so if you want Wagyu(Kobe) beef these are the people, as I say, if you want to buy the most expensive steak around, these are your men - €49.50 per KG for Fillet Steak :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

Ive seen their online store but they haven't had wagyu steak in the stock the last 5 months ore so.

Do you know if you can order it from their monkstown store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

They had it in Terenure before, ring and check. Frozen mind...

http://g.co/maps/5rj9n

Ive seen their online store but they haven't had wagyu steak in the stock the last 5 months ore so.

Do you know if you can order it from their monkstown store?

I don't, give em a call sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You know, it's not always a case that most expensive = best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You know, it's not always a case that most expensive = best.

No but the best should be the most expensive ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

you are probably looking for a properly dry aged steak (ribeye on the bone would be my choice). Google as there are a few butchers in Dub who do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

cgarrad wrote: »
    No but the best should be the most expensive ;-)

I don't think that is true either.

This thread is very close to a thread about chicken thighs, and how cheap they are. Lots of people (me included) reckon that the thigh is the best part of the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Quality doesn't always equate to the price in my experience. Entirely depends on how its cooked in my eyes.

ok, i'm looking for the cheapest fillet of wagyu steak.....

• Advertisement

ok, i'm looking for the cheapest fillet of wagyu steak.....

Wagyu is all about the fat so I would be getting a Wagyu Ribeye or a strip steak if you really want to experience it properly.

here you go - http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6144

€62.00 per kg

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Wagyu is all about the fat so I would be getting a Wagyu Ribeye or a strip steak if you really want to experience it properly.

here you go - http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6144

€62.00 per kg
    It's been out of stock for several months

ah.

I'd just then try find a butcher who dry ages good quality ribeye's. If the butcher knows what he is doing and you know how to cook a steak you will get steak house quality steak a home. The ageing is the key difference between what we buy and what is served at really good restaurants.

Would you not just ring them and ask them when they will have it back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

It doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to be good but I can testify first hand that the meat from James Whelan in both Clonmel & Monkstown is superb. I had T-bones from there last Sunday and himself was completely and utterly amazed. I've also had the wagyu burgers and they taste wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Would you not just ring them and ask them when they will have it back in stock?
    I contacted them a few months ago and they said they didn't know when they would have more stock...

( im not trying to make work for people, I have tried to get it with no avail )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Have also found the Fallon & Byrne's beef excellant, possible a bit over priced though.

Advertisement