Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours About Next Companion

• 17-01-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

So who's going to be replacing Amy and Rory? A lot of people seem to be thinking Sophia Myles
    Dedicated fans probably remember Sophia from “The Girl in the Fireplace”, the fourth episode of Doctor Who’s second season. In that story she starred as a Parisian woman named Reinette, encountered by the Doctor in 1727 when he sees her through a fireplace that’s also a doorway through time. Interestingly Reinette’s story is not entirely unlike that of Amy Pond, since she too met the Doctor as a little girl, and then he appears again to influence her life as an adult.

The rumor of Sophia’s possible involvement in the Doctor Who season after next, comes from showrunner Stephen Moffat himself who tweeted this rather cryptic message…

Right EVERYBODY who follows me, go and follow @SophiaMyles – spin that fireplace. NOW. I’ll explain later. Or not.

In response Myles has begun tweeting rather cryptic messages as well, hinting at some sort of future Doctor Who involvement. Now the Daily Star reports that Sophia Myles will indeed be The Doctor’s next companion.

A note of caution. The Star doesn’t cite a source for its information, and they aren’t exactly a reliable source. For now this should all be treated as rumor and speculation, until we get confirmation from someone more official. That said, there’s definitely something going on here.

Not sure what to make of this...I liked her in Girl in the Fireplace but I thought the bittersweet ending in that episode so wouldn't like it reversed. That said I don't like the shows trend of casting the same actresses in different roles (except maybe Karen Gillan since she had a very minor part and wasn't all the recognisable). Still there's nothing close to solid evidence here so it might all just be a load of nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, she's certainly hot enough to replace Karen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I would imagine she might do another episode as her original episode was a bit of a fan favourite. However she still seems to be trying to break hollywood so she might not commit to an actual regular TV appearance.

Also, as for The Star "exclusive" I remember how, just after Led Zeppelin did their O2 appearance they "exclusively confirmed" that Zep were going to tour. They "got the information from Scissor Sisters who became close friends with Page and Plant after they did a cover version of Zeppelin's song Comfortably Numb"
    Yep. Great research there Star

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If I recall correctly the Star has also exclusively revealed at least 3 specials with all the living Doctors in it. At one point it led to me replying to every second post here with "not believing it til I hear it from the BBC".

Still this does seem to have some credence, the 'Moff I assume doesn't ask people to tweet the entire production team :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, love it: a mere surreptitious wobbling of Moffats eyebrows & the tabloids go bananas.

Is there even any context that what Moffat was talking of referred to Who in the first place? Seems to me like a random brainfart that could have as much to do with Myles' soon-to-be-announced bake sale as any future part in a TV show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, love it: a mere surreptitious wobbling of Moffats eyebrows & the tabloids go bananas.

Is there even any context that what Moffat was talking of referred to Who in the first place? Seems to me like a random brainfart that could have as much to do with Myles' soon-to-be-announced bake sale as any future part in a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was watching this on Twitter. I got the idea that maybe it was a bet he had with her that he could get her X number of followers in a week. I doubt she'll be the new companion, but you never know. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she appeared in the anniversary specials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Id be surprised if she came back as a companion, even more surprised if she was playing the same character as a companion. A one off appearance as an "ally of the Doctor" like Churchill, Liz 10 et al. might be a possibility though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

it would be cool if they cast a companion from somwhere in the past instead of contemporary modern humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://blastr.com/2012/02/moffat-teases-amy-and-ror.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    "I'm writing that right now, the big Rory and Amy heartbreaking finale,'' Moffat said to The University Observer. ''It will be quite heartbreaking. I think you'll be in trouble watching it."

"And then he's about to say hello to someone very different—the Doctor is going to meet someone very new in the very last place he could ever have expected..."

Cue over-eager speculation! "The very last place he could ever have expected?" Hmm wonder if he means literally or figuratively the last place ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Doctor's next companion will be a sentient split in his own personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Perhaps the new companion will be inside the Tardis already? That's the last place he'd expect to bump into somebody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Doctor's next companion will be a sentient split in his own personality!
    You mean the Dreamlord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm surprised fandom hasn't taken this as cue that 11 will be traveling around with a previous incarnation of The Doctor, given the new companion's introduction and its close proximity to the 50th anniversary celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

"I'm writing that right now, the big Rory and Amy heartbreaking finale,'' Moffat said to The University Observer. ''It will be quite heartbreaking. I think you'll be in trouble watching it."

"And then he's about to say hello to someone very different—the Doctor is going to meet someone very new in the very last place he could ever have expected..."

Has he told them yet that he knows when their kid is going to die and end up trapped in a computer forever?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The "very new" bit is probably meant to make us think of a baby. It's hard to know though because Moffat is notorious for trolling :)

It doesn't specify if the "very new" someone is even the companion.

Advertisement