Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Signage

Options
  • 17-01-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Im sure most people have noted the huge amount of new road signage going up around Bray and Greystones (and elsewhere in Wicklow probably, i cant say).

While high quality signage is to be welcomed, is it not a bit strange to be launching a fairly comprehensive re-signing campaign now when times are tight? They also appear to be taking down perfectly decent signs on some occasions and replacing them.

One thing i found funny is at the roudabout at the top of the Farenkelly road, just before you turn onto the N11, it states 'Bray 13 KM'. A sign about 800 meters down the N11 states 'Bray 14 KM', hmmm:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

What a waste of money .How much was spent on the N11 detour signs that are covered up and will never be used they are all over the place.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Worst new sign to me is the one at the end of the M11 at the Fassaroe exit. They decide to put a sign up where there used to be a crash barrier ( the big green thing). This is long since gone as it was hit on numerous occasions.

Who thought it would be a good idea to put 3 metal posts and a sign in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

What about the bray south exit heading towards woodies at the roundabout there??? They put a sign in front of another sign...

What the hell like???

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bido wrote: »
    What a waste of money .How much was spent on the N11 detour signs that are covered up and will never be used they are all over the place.:mad:

I never understood the point of those

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wicklowarms

bido wrote: »

I never understood the point of those

They are for diverting traffic off sections of the n11 in case of an accident blocking either or both sides. That is what I have been told anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They are for diverting traffic off sections of the n11 in case of an accident blocking either or both sides. That is what I have been told anyway!

whats wrong with just putting out standard temporary "Diversion" signs though?

Someone would have to drive the route to remove the covers anyway, and in the meantime the 'permanent' signs are getting damaged, and the covers removed/stolen leading to confusion. Pointless waste of money IMO - I've never seen anything similar elsewhere, even in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

What about the bray south exit heading towards woodies at the roundabout there??? They put a sign in front of another sign...

What the hell like???

That made me laugh.

They put these signs up end of last year. I was told that at the end of the year the council has to use money left over from budgets or they will get less money the year after as they would have shown they didn't need as much. So they just end up spending it on any rubbish. I presume
    Greystones did this With the very poorly done beach side path. Don't know if this is true but I hear it quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Jimjay wrote: »
    I was told that at the end of the year the council has to use money left over from budgets or they will get less money the year after as they would have shown they didn't need as much.

This is a problem everywhere in the world! Towards the end of a fiscal year, and regardless of when that year is (in North America it is commonly 1st April to avoid issues related to Christmas/New Year closures), finance officers like to spend every bit of money they have, even on nonsense. Fiscal restraint is not rewarded, but punished by getting less money next year - the argument being "well, you didn't need it all last year". Those who overspend are rewarded with more money, with the counter-argument being used.

Not sure what the answer to this is - I have heard that some countries allow a 3 month overlap of fiscal years, but that doesn't really solve the problem, only delays it.

Sad, that in these times of necessary huge fiscal restraint this mentality is still prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Check out the number of new concrete foundations for signage southbound on the N11 between the Kilpedder interchange and the Newcastle turn. There must be a warehouse full of megasigns waiting to go up. Drivers will get dizzy trying to read them all :pac:

Structure in place now for tolls and point to point speed detection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RosieJoe wrote: »

What?

No idea what you mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

RosieJoe wrote: »

What?

No idea what you mean?
    Lol, just stirring!

I'm amazed at the number of signs going up. How did we cope before without them

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Seriously, what are they up to? There are gonna be signposts reading 'Warning! Sign post ahead!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Mullie wrote: »
    Seriously, what are they up to? There are gonna be signposts reading 'Warning! Sign post ahead!!'

Like this?

careful_now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

nope, this one:

zombies-ahead-road-sign.png&w=500&h=301&ei=d1cdT9TdKZGyhAf1lYDjDA&zoom=1

Advertisement