Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Goujons

Options
  • 17-01-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Would really like some nice chicken goujons, i bought some yesterday and like all processed foods they had a plasticy taste off them. Any suggestions for making my own, i tried before coating them with just breadcrumbs and they were pretty bland but i just dunno what else to add to them, i really like southern fried flavours and a bit of crunch and also maybe a bit of heat??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

fuglywugly wrote: »
    Would really like some nice chicken goujons, i bought some yesterday and like all processed foods they had a plasticy taste off them. Any suggestions for making my own, i tried before coating them with just breadcrumbs and they were pretty bland but i just dunno what else to add to them, i really like southern fried flavours and a bit of crunch and also maybe a bit of heat??
    hey i use breadcrumbs with a handful of plain flour along , with some of the schwartz chilli flakes and cajun spices, they are nicest when cooked on a frying pan and i use a drop of olive oil on the pan .

If you want to get a little bit more advanced and have spare eggs do a double dip . As in put piece of chicken in the egg , roll it in the breadcrumb , then dip back in the egg and roll in breadcrumb again :D

I really like my breadcumb chicken, and it dips very nicely into sweet chilli sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fuglywugly

Starving now... gonna try that later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Or try this.

Prepare a bowl of breadcrumbs (panko breadcrumbs from Asian shops are great for this, but any will work), a bowl of seasoned flour (flour mixed with herbs, salt and pepper) a bowl of whisked egg and a bowl of garlic butter (just melt some butter with some crushed garlic in it).

Slice your chicken into goujon shapes. Dip first in seasoned flour, then in egg, then in seasoned flour again, then in garlic butter, and then roll in breadcrumbs, patting the breadcrumbs down to make them stick.

Bake or deep fry for herby, garlicky goujons. Eat with garlic mayo and sweet chilli sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

As above but crush some cornflakes i a peatle & mortar for the crunch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bread crumbs, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper and chopped parsley for me thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bread crumbs, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper and chopped parsley for me thanks!
    Sesame seeds yum, are these easily gotten in normal supermarket ? if so what isle usually?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Crushed Tuc or Ritz crackers make a really nice coating and you can add in any spices you want. Also, if you marinate the chicken pieces in buttermilk it makes them really juicy and tender. You can leave them in it for anything from an hour to 2 days in a tub in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I usually do them in seasoned flour (usually cajun seasoning), then eggs with a drop of milk and breadcrumbs and deep fry. Yum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sesame seeds yum, are these easily gotten in normal supermarket ? if so what isle usually?

Yes, in the health food section generally. My green grocer has them, they're widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

+1 on the dipping and double dipping methods. Love the idea of Tuc/Ritz crackers never thought of that.

How you season your flour OP is the key and depends what you like. I add Onion Powder, Garlic Granules, Aromat and a touch od black pepper (no need for salt the Aromat covers that) into the mix then depending on the style of goujon, either smoked paprika and chilli flakes for a kick, or herbs de provence. A touch of honey in with the egg mix is nice too.

Experiment, tis great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I make my own using boneless chicken thighs. I bash up the chicken, then cut to size and dip in seasoned flour, then in egg and finally in bulka tarta, which I mix with Seasame Seeds (You can get this in Tesco/Dunnes in the foreign section section).

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

One word: PANKO!

Best way to make goujons ever. I just dip my chicken pieces in a mix of panko and parmesan cheese, sprinkle with salt and pan fry in oil. Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

+1 on Panko. Its all about the panko.

I made savage deep fried tiger prawns using a 50/50 of dessicated coconut and panko.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I used the Anabel Karmel recipe for my little guy who loves them. Mix some paprika with polenta, dip chicken first in oil then in beaten egg and then in the polenta mix. Fry gently and serve with garlic mayonnaise, just gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Not everyones cup of tea but I used wheetabix before instead of breadcrucmbs. I also added a snall bit of crushed clove aswell as the usual spices. Baked in the oven. Turned out devine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Swampy wrote: »
    +1 on Panko. Its all about the panko.

I made savage deep fried tiger prawns using a 50/50 of dessicated coconut and panko.
    Never heard of that magical ingredient. What's the difference between Panko and normal breadcrumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

dvpower wrote: »
    Never heard of that magical ingredient. What's the difference between Panko and normal breadcrumbs?

Panko breadcrumbs are very dry, light, and crispy.
    They're in Tesco these days, part of the Tesco Ingredients range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have been experimenting with baking chicken gougons in the oven.

I dry out my breadcrumbs in the oven for about 5/10 minutes and then crush them with a rolling pin, so they are small and crunchy, which is much better than big soft white breadcrumbs.

Using these directly and baking the gougons , leaves the gougons quite dry, but it only takes a very small amount of oil to solve this.

Afer crushing the breadcrumbs I mix in a a tsp or 2 of oil, or a mixture of oil and melted butter and add seasoning and some oregano or thyme or chilli powder. I make the gougons as normal with beaten egg to bind the coating.

I also brush a tiny bit of oil on the baking tray.

They turn out lovely and crunchy, but not at all dry,but with very little oil added.

I love the idea of adding sesame seeds, must try that next time.

Advertisement