Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

j1 Cali anyone?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

just wondering how many people heading to cali? and how many la area?Santa Monica etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'll be in San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jellorous

Woohoo! San Diego! :) I'm going there too! Has anyone ever been there before and have tips for accommodation or jobs or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

San Diego too, any tips would be appreciated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colddesert

I really want to head to Cali now, was thinking either long beach or huntington beach! Would be open to going anywhere but finding it hard to get any info on what cali i like for jobs, accom and nightlife! Can someone please inform us cali people what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mwalsh1407

3 of us heading to San Diego on May 30th! Looking for housemates and advice etc. If anyone is interested let me know! All of us are 21+ too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭feathz

I'm part of a group of 6 that are heading to San Diego too. All we know about it is that there will probably be a lot of competition for both jobs and good accommodation but we're hoping to head out early to avoid that. =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

i was in san diego and it is so hard to get a job! then went to santa Monica and found it just as nice if not nicer because it was close to the beach and hollywood night life and it was much easyer getting a job, one stage i had 2 jobs , also found everyone much nicer towards the irish there !!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

California's job market is pretty ****ty at the minute. Unemployment is amongst the highest in the US and service type jobs which J1 students usually do have been hit pretty hard. You'll also be competing with a lot of Mexicans who work pretty hard for crap pay. I know people who got jobs but it was very much 50-50, around half had to move elsewhere.

Not being over negative but just something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

anyone have any experience with ID's in California?

is it all passports, or do driving licences work too? im going to the newport/huntington area and would like to know :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Irish driving licenses are not valid in most places. The only "acceptable" ID is your original passport, or a California state ID.
    You can go to the DMV on a J1 and get a DMV issues ID card for about $30. It will be valid for the duration of your visa, but do it first thing, as it can take a few weeks to arrive......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

driveing licence worked for me der in all the clubs as long as u have some back up but its fine most places,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rachel.b

Myself and a friend (both female 21) are hitting LA at the end of May and are looking to share a place with others to cut cost of rent. We don't mind where; Huntington beach, Santa Monica, Westwood etc.

Join this group if your interested :)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/330123870380465/

Advertisement