Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Windows Vista to 7

Options
  • 17-01-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a new PC and really want to try my hand at building it myself (nervous about it, but still wanna give it a go). I have Windows Vista 32 bit on my old Dell machine and was wondering if it's possible to install that to the new PC and buy a 64 bit Windows 7 upgrade from software4students? Is this possible going from 32 bit to 64 bit (or at all)? Or would I have to buy a new copy of Windows 7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

PenguinMan wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a new PC and really want to try my hand at building it myself (nervous about it, but still wanna give it a go). I have Windows Vista 32 bit on my old Dell machine and was wondering if it's possible to install that to the new PC and buy a 64 bit Windows 7 upgrade from software4students? Is this possible going from 32 bit to 64 bit (or at all)? Or would I have to buy a new copy of Windows 7?
    I think Dell disks may be locked to Dell machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The upgrade version will allow you perform a clean install without any previous OS in situ.

So fire away, google is your friend when building a PC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Kensington wrote: »
    The upgrade version will allow you perform a clean install without any previous OS in situ.

So fire away, google is your friend when building a PC :)
    Really? So what makes it different to a non-upgrade version, if that's not a really stupid question? :o

Really? So what makes it different to a non-upgrade version, if that's not a really stupid question? :o

Licensing. You are required to have a valid license for a previous version (or lesser edition of the same version e.g. Win7 Home Premium > Win7 Ultimate) in order for the upgrade Win7 license to be valid.

However, it does not require that previous version to be installed for you to be able to install Win7.

Just stick the DVD into your new build and carry out an install, then do the automated activation and you're done. I've done clean installs before myself on Win7 upgrade licences.

Kensington wrote: »
    Licensing. You are required to have a valid license for a previous version (or lesser edition of the same version e.g. Win7 Home Premium > Win7 Ultimate) in order for the upgrade Win7 license to be valid.

However, it does not require that previous version to be installed for you to be able to install Win7.

Just stick the DVD into your new build and carry out an install, then do the automated activation and you're done. I've done clean installs before myself on Win7 upgrade licences.
    Awesome :). What does the automated activation involve? And will that revoke the version of Windows on my other PC?

• Advertisement

Awesome :). What does the automated activation involve? And will that revoke the version of Windows on my other PC?

It would if you wanted to continue using the old machine with Vista - either you'd be transferring your Dell Vista license to the new build (Dell machine no longer has a valid license) or your new build upgrade license is not valid (no previous valid license to upgrade from).

If you were intent on scrapping the Dell, or wanted to stick something like Ubuntu on it instead, then you could consider the new build as a machine upgrade and treat the Vista license as having moved to the new build. You then use your Win7 upgrade license as normal.

A full, brand new OEM license is about €100. That'll give you a completely new license for your new build.

Activation just takes a check of your PC configuration via a hashcheck and submits it to Microsoft. If you then tried to activate your key on a second machine, the activation will fail as it will detect the machine is physically different (it's hash value won't match that which Microsoft has on file for the original activation for that key). You need to activate within 30 days or Windows ceases to function. Only takes about 20 seconds over the internet to do.

Thanks for your help :) Last stupid question. If I had an old XP machine lying around somewhere (minus the disc), could I upgrade from that to keep Vista on the Dell?

Advertisement