Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Guys, no action was taken by the referee at the time, so if the FA deem Suarez has done something wrong, I'm sure they'll take retrospective action.

Of course on the other hand, if they see him intercepting the ball and kicking it out a throw in without making contact with any other player, which is after all what happened, then it probably won't go any further.

My money's on the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I haven't really commented in detail on the weekend because it doesn't matter as much as people think it does. In a few short weeks, Kenny Dalglish shall lead a Liverpool team up the steps to lay claim to our first piece of silverware since 2006. And the King's legend will shine like a beacon once more. And, most crucially, all this rubbish will wash away in glorious victory and achievement.

Was a great time for this fixture really, because it will be far enough in the rear view mirror for us to really bask in the League Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I haven't really commented in detail on the weekend because it doesn't matter as much as people think it does. In a few short weeks, Kenny Dalglish shall lead a Liverpool team up the steps to lay claim to our first piece of silverware since 2006. And the King's legend will shine like a beacon once more. And, most crucially, all this rubbish will wash away in glorious victory and achievement.

Was a great time for this fixture really, because it will be far enough in the rear view mirror for us to really bask in the League Cup Final.

Lot of logic in this post, especially in the final paragraph.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Lot of logic in this post, especially in the final paragraph.

Essentially, we will welcome Arsenal to Anfield on March 03 with - assuming we take care of business against our next two Championship opponents - a trophy under our belts and an FA Cup Quarter Final to look forward to. Because of the focus on the League Cup final, the weekend just gone is going to seem like a fairly distant memory. We should be feeling good about ourselves again, with the pressure on them.

Lots to look forward to lads, one expected result doesn't change that. And don't let anyone tell you any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So what are you saying here, that Suarez is a fcuking idiot (your words) because he gave Evra an impression that he was going to be kicked?

Exactly right. Specifically after being found guilty of racially abusing the same player and then refusing to shake hands with him.

Specifically after denying the club of his services for two seperate bans as a result of his own actions.

He was being a fcuking idiot.
    That is an extremely risky game for Suarez to play as all it takes is for Evra to walk into it and Suarez is off.

My estimation of Evra actually went up for not reacting there.
    Players don't give "impressions"; if they want to do someone, they will, or injure themselves trying. :pac:

That is ridiculous. The world is not that black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

While I admit we've got to walk before we can run, I aspire to more than League Cup glory for the club myself. Winning the League Cup won't paint over the cracks if we don't finish 4th, only my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Im struggling with this whole Evra Suarez thing when Suarez kicked the ball hard out of play.

So what? He can kick it where ever he wants! If the game was stopped then its a different matter, where I would imagine he could get a card

Players kick the ball off other players all the time to get the possession back, or that thing called a wall whos job is too stop shots going towards the goal.

I think its something of nothing to be honest.

With Standard Chartered getting involved I think Suarezs days at the club could be over, which I hate the thoughts of because he is IMO an excellent player. If we dont get 4th and sell Suarez we are taking a major step back in terms of getting where we want to be in a football sense, because a Higuain or player of that sort of quality will not sign for us if we are not in the Champions League.

While I admit we've got to walk before we can run, I aspire to more than League Cup glory for the club myself. Winning the League Cup won't paint over the cracks if we don't finish 4th, only my opinion of course.

We aren't getting fourth this season. As such, getting this squad to win something will be a vital psychological springboard into next season. The League Cup Final is going to be the most important single game the club has played in quite some time.

Breaking news**

Luis Suarez has been arrested for the murder of Whitney Houston in a racially motivated attack. Eye witness Patrice Evra said he saw Suarez kill her at least ten times. Sir Alex Ferguson has called for the death penalty. Kenny Dalglish says he never heard of Whitney Houston and has actually questioned if she even exists. Howard Webb saw everything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm sorry but of all the bollocks we read on here the half volley/volley nonsense takes the cake.

You see that in basically every single game from 5 a side up.

It is a complete non issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Fourth was never realistic I'd love think it was, and while I certainly said it wasn't impossible at the start of the season, it was me being optimistic. That's the kinda guy I am.

The fact that we are still in with a shout of fourth is nothing really to do with us, it's more a testament to how crap arsenal and Chelsea have been so far.

I'd happily take a league cup win. As Lloyd says I stilling a winning mentality is massive if we hope to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Grayditch wrote: »
    Hahahaha. Pages of talk about him kicking the ball out.

There's only the bones and gristle left on this thread, but sure, tuck in, fellas, hahahahaha.

Thought I was on the other abomination of a match thread. It gets confusing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Breaking news**

Luis Suarez has been arrested for the murder of Whitney Houston in a racially motivated attack. Eye witness Patrice Evra said he saw Suarez kill her at least ten times. Sir Alex Ferguson has called for the death penalty. Kenny Dalglish says he never heard of Whitney Houston and has actually questioned if she even exists. Howard Webb saw everything.

The bit about Howard Webb just isn't believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We aren't getting fourth this season. As such, getting this squad to win something will be a vital psychological springboard into next season. The League Cup Final is going to be the most important single game the club has played in quite some time.

Fourth will be tough but looking at the run ins, I think we've a decent chance. It's all about the team that gets a good run going and Chelsea have 3 or 4 very tough Away games to come. Our big games are all at home, Newcastle and Sunderland are probably the toughest Away games.

Arsenal game really is a must win and I hope the fans fully support the team and not get on their backs if they don't score early. Hopefully Coming after a Cup win the team should be up for it. Rafa used many an European game to up morale after poor League results.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Any team that hits a run of form will take 4th.

On what I've seen so far this season from a finishing chances point of view, I think we will fall short.

Basically we need Carroll, Bellamy and Suarez to start banging them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

On what I've seen so far this season from a finishing chances point of view, I think we will fall short.

All well and good saying that any team that hits a run of form will get fourth, but Liverpool need to get that run of form and also need Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all to fail to hit form.

All any of those teams have to do to stay ahead is just match Liverpool's form, they don't have to do better than Liverpool in the remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Why was handshake protocol changed at Old Trafford?

People actually realise the whole thing was done arse ways right?.

The home team is supposed to start if off with the capt going to the officials and then capt of away team, the away team do not walk anywhere until the last home player has shaken the last away players hand.

So why did this happen?

(before some meat head pipes in, its not an excuse, i just want to know why)

All well and good saying that any team that hits a run of form will get fourth, but Liverpool need to get that run of form and also need Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all to fail to hit form.

All any of those teams have to do to stay ahead is just match Liverpool's form, they don't have to do better than Liverpool in the remaining games.

Well I mean a really rich vain of form. Win 4/5 on the bounce or the like.

We have to beat Arsenal tbh and will go a point behind them if they do. Arsenal also play Newcastle very soon.

68 was enough last year but I think it will be a bit lower this year as Arsenal came 4th after really falling apart the last 4 months.

I'm predicting 63/64 points might well be enough.

Last year Arsenal only got 18 points from their last 13 games and still got in so teams can go on runs, be it bad or good.Their collapse post christmas was extraordinary actually.We picked up 23 points in the same period but the damage was long done at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

daithijjj wrote: »

The home team is supposed to start if off with the capt going to the officials and then capt of away team, the away team do not walk anywhere until the last home player has shaken the last away players hand.

So why did this happen?

Was it changed really?

kryogen wrote: »
    Was it changed really?

Yes, what i described above is what is supposed to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, SSN highlighted it. Probably for the best really, Suarez wasn't going to shake Evra's hand so if Evra is leading the line and offers his hand and Suarez refuses then the whole thing comes to a halt because Evra is going to stop at Suarez.

Since Liverpool walked along the line, Suarez avoided the handshake and was able to walk on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

So why did this happen?

Strange one alright,my guess would be to have Evra next to the ref but as i say just a guess

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, SSN highlighted it. Probably for the best really, Suarez wasn't going to shake Evra's hand so if Evra is leading the line and offers his hand and Suarez refuses then the whole thing comes to a halt because Evra is going to stop at Suarez.

Since Liverpool walked along the line, Suarez avoided the handshake and was able to walk on.

I have just read that it was a pre agreement with ref and both clubs. Thats fine, was just curious, and to be honest im still curious why that decision was made if the whole time it was expected to happen that they would both shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Obviously, Arsenal had a great run of form after the United hammering, don't think Chelsea have had a great run all season, Liverpool neither. Keep expecting Chelsea to press on and after our run of 5 points from 18, should be out of sight.

Rossie1977 posted this in the race for 4th thread:
    [url=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77048479&postcount=632]boards.ie - View Single Post - The race for fourth[/url]
    Arsenal
    vs spurs (HOME) 26th feb
    vs liverpool (AWAY) 3rd march
    vs newcastle (HOME) 12th march
    vs everton (AWAY) 17th march
    vs man city (HOME) 7th april
    vs chelsea (HOME) 21st april

Chelsea
    vs man city (AWAY) 19th march
    vs spurs (HOME) 24th march
    vs newcastle (HOME) 14th april
    vs arsenal (AWAY) 21st april
    vs liverpool (AWAY) 5th may

liverpool
    vs arsenal (HOME) 3rd march
    vs sunderland (AWAY) 10th march
    vs newcastle (AWAY) 1st april
    vs chelsea (HOME) 5th may
    vs everton (HOME) TBA

newcastle
    vs sunderland (HOME) 4th march
    vs arsenal (AWAY) 12th march
    vs liverpool (HOME) 1st april
    vs chelsea (AWAY) 14th april
    vs man city (HOME) 5th may

Arsenal have to go to Stoke as well.

Obviously the Home form has to drastically improve. 30 points out of 39 would guarantee 4th for me but the way things are going, it will probably be less.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes, what i described above is what is supposed to happen.

How come when the JT v WB thing was happening, and Bridge wouldnt shake Terrys hand it was City (the away team) going down the line shaking the home teams hands while they stood in the line not moving? Same as what happened at OT like?

Observe

At the very least it proves its been done before

I have just read that it was a pre agreement with ref and both clubs. Thats fine, was just curious, and to be honest im still curious why that decision was made if the whole time it was expected to happen that they would both shake.

If it was a pre agreement I would imagine it was done that way so that it would be Suarez shaking Evras hand rather then Evra having to go shake Suarez hand if ya get me

If it was a pre agreement I would imagine it was done that way so that it would be Suarez shaking Evras hand rather then Evra having to go shake Suarez hand if ya get me

I was just curious is all. Its no bother, i knew about the Bridge/Terry one. Fkin boards is taking forever to load for me, dont know about anyone else.

Anyway, from a personal point of view, i think the whole handshake is pomp and ceremony the game can do without. Tokenism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

kinda, but why would Evra not shake Suarez's hand? If suarez didn't put his hand out then Evra would just walk on and people would see suarez not shaking Evra's hand. Why the change? The normal way should have in place, changing it to suit Evra?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    kinda, but why would Evra not shake Suarez's hand? If suarez didn't put his hand out then Evra would just walk on and people would see suarez not shaking Evra's hand. Why the change? The normal way should have in place, changing it to suit Evra?

As I said its been done before so maybe you need to go back and ask who benefited the last time?

Apply the same principle, if Terry walked down and extended his hand and Bridge ignored it, Terry would just walk on and people would see Bridge not shaking his hand.

• Advertisement

How come when the JT v WB thing was happening, and Bridge wouldnt shake Terrys hand it was City (the away team) going down the line shaking the home teams hands while they stood in the line not moving? Same as what happened at OT like?

Observe

At the very least it proves its been done before

Love the way Bellers looks the other way before giving a half hearted attempt at shaking hands to Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Fkin boards is taking forever to load for me, dont know about anyone else.

I was getting a 503 screen for a minute or so but it's o.k. now.

I was just curious is all. Its no bother, i knew about the Bridge/Terry one. Fkin boards is taking forever to load for me, dont know about anyone else.

Anyway, from a personal point of view, i think the whole handshake is pomp and ceremony the game can do without. Tokenism.

If you knew about the Terry one then why did you ask? :confused: You had seen it done before like!

No idea why it was changed obviously, if as you say it was part of the pre agreement with the clubs United might have insisted it be Suarez who is seen to go in search of Evras hand, for obvious reasons........ Liverpool may have insisted it was Suarez who was seen to go in search of Evras hand to show that he was drawing a line under it and show that he could rise above it or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As I said its been done before so maybe you need to go back and ask who benefited the last time?

Apply the same principle, if Terry walked down and extended his hand and Bridge ignored it, Terry would just walk on and people would see Bridge not shaking his hand.

Don't think anyone benefited to be honest. Bridge did not shake his hand. If they did it the other way..... Bridge would not shake his hand, no benefit, same result.
    I think people are analysing the fúck out of it at this stage. Suarez did not shake his hand - plain and simple. If Evra put his hand out.....would Suarez have shaken it....no, same result really.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Don't think anyone benefited to be honest. Bridge did not shake his hand. If they did it the other way..... Bridge would not shake his hand, no benefit, same result.
    I think people are analysing the fúck out of it at this stage. Suarez did not shake his hand - plain and simple. If Evra put his hand out.....would Suarez have shaken it....no, same result really.

That was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Ricardo Sa Pinto who was coaching the Sporting NextGen team has replaced Domingos Paciencia as first team coach. Interesting move from them. He did have the juniors playing some wonderful football.

Opr

• Advertisement

If you knew about the Terry one then why did you ask? :confused: You had seen it done before like!

No idea why it was changed obviously, if as you say it was part of the pre agreement with the clubs United might have insisted it be Suarez who is seen to go in search of Evras hand, for obvious reasons........ Liverpool may have insisted it was Suarez who was seen to go in search of Evras hand to show that he was drawing a line under it and show that he could rise above it or something.

I asked because, to all intents and purposes the handshake was definitely happening. That was not the case with Bridge/Terry.

I asked because, to all intents and purposes the handshake was definitely happening. That was not the case with Bridge/Terry.

Fair enough, I have outlined possible reasons for it already, but as I said, who knows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Reliable French media source reporting that Spurs have agreed terms with Lile for Hazard :(

Bale & Hazard :eek:

http://www.francefootball.fr/#!/news/2012/02/13/192150_hazard-a-choisi-tottenham.html

Great coup for Harry if true .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

mixednuts wrote: »
    Reliable French media source reporting that Spurs have agreed terms with Lile for Hazard :(

http://www.francefootball.fr/#!/news/2012/02/13/192150_hazard-a-choisi-tottenham.html

I don't wanna be here when Kess gets in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just seen it myself, would put them on a much higher level than us if he signed and I don't think that is overstating it either. They already are undoubtedly a better team/squad than us and adding real quality like that is gonna make them genuine league contenders for the the coming future, something we don't look like at all.

Knex. wrote: »
    Just seen it myself, would put them on a much higher level than us if he signed and I don't think that is overstating it either. They already are undoubtedly a better team/squad than us and adding real quality like that is gonna make them genuine league contenders for the the coming future, something we don't look like at all.

The more i think about it he is an absolute ideal signing for them . Would be worth every expensive penny spent to slot a player like him directly into their current setup.

Arrggghhh .

John Barnes on 5live last night, dont think its been posted. Drag to 1hr 45.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bwgjn/Stephen_Nolan_12_02_2012/

The more i think about it he is an absolute ideal signing for them . Would be worth every expensive penny spent to slot a player like him directly into their current setup.

Arrggghhh .

My thoughts exactly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would that then lead to Modric moving to Chelsea ?

Spurs have a very strict wage cap though, don't they?

greendom wrote: »
    Would that then lead to Modric moving to Chelsea ?

Imo either him or Bale are nailed on now to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For his successor you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2012/2/13/2795613/eden-hazard-tottenham-hotspur-transfer-rumours

These are my favorite kind of transfer rumors, because we get 20 of them every year and one or none of them comes true.

The first one for this summer comes in FEBRUARY. France Football is reporting -- and I'm not joking, you guys -- that Eden Hazard has agreed to join Tottenham Hotspur in the summer. The two clubs just have to agree to a transfer fee.

How this story comes out in the papers every year, I have no idea. Technically, Hazard shouldn't be able to talk to Spurs about personal terms at the moment, but apparently he did, according to France Football.

I don't speak French, so I don't know how legit the outlet is, but since the lack of sourcing and quotes is Mirror-esque, I'm going to guess that's a pretty low level of reporting. Don't shoot the messenger, just felt like I should throw this up since it's making the rounds.
    It's just a rumor at the moment a far as I can make out.

Spurs have a very strict wage cap though, don't they?

So I've been led to believe anyway, Levy runs a very tight ship by all accounts. Works for him though, the man has done wonders for Spurs. Then again, if they get into CL two years running its a huge boost in revenue and one that Levy might allow to go towards an increase in wages when he sees fit. And lets face it, Hazard would certainly deserve it.

Also, he can't be on that much at Lille, or be demanding that much for that matter. 70k-90k I'd imagine, which is not astronomical wages for a team who we can assume would regularly feature in the CL, especially with the signing of Hazard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement