Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Id imagine he thinks hes a scumbag for handling the ball then jumping up and down on the touchline celebrating like hes just scored the winning goal in the world cup final.

People say theyd do the same in that split second but whos coming out saying that they'd celebrate a cheating act with such fervor? No one because they wouldnt. Most would feel at least some shame over it, not Saurez though and no shame whatsoever after he was found guilty of RACIALLY ABUSING someone then refusing to shake THE VICTIMS hand.

Victim ?

Dont make me laugh .

We all know what Evra is and victim wouldn't be a word i would use .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

SlickRic wrote: »
    i stopped reading here.

i hate this phrase "racially abused" for this.

Suarez doesn't believe he racially abused Evra.

i don't believe it.

i don't believe Evra believes it.

Handy that you believe that Evra doesn't believe the allegations he made himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

royaler83 wrote: »
    I'm being a smart arse with your post there :P

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

mixednuts wrote: »
    Victim ?

Dont make me laugh .

We all know what Evra is and victim wouldn't be a word i would use .

Yes, Victim.

When Suarez Racially Abused him and was subsequently was convicted of racially abusing him, Evra was the victim, of Racial abuse from Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

All because people fed the troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yes, Victim.

When Suarez Racially Abused him and was subsequently was convicted of racially abusing him, Evra was the victim, of Racial abuse from Suarez.

Should change your wording there, he wasn't convicted of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There's no accounting for class lads, or lack of it. I wonder where you draw the line, where you say "enough". I'm a fan of the player, but he's a scumbag. He was a scumbag in the World Cup, he was a scumbag in Holland, and he continues to be a scumbag. How people can say he's learnt his lesson is beyond me. Until the next time...

The same logic can be applied to a large number of big name British players over the years. Men who have without any doubt been proven to have done some very distasteful things, some of whom have done so a number of times.

But time after time those same men who get caught doing quite scummy things get put back on pedestals by the british media and the varrious fanbases.

Why should Suarez be treated any differently to those men, and perhaps more importantly why should those men get treated differently to how many want Suarez to be treated?

Surely if Suarez is bad for the game, a disgrace, and whatnot, then there should be just as loud a public outcry to get the others out of the game?

Rooney, Giggs, Gerrard, Keane, Terry, Cole, Johnson, Carragher, and Ferdinand. There is a quick list of some big names who have done some dodgy stuff. Some of it on the piutch, some of it off the pitch, hell some of them have managed it on and off the pitch.

Why is there not a constant campaign in the media against guys like them?

Why is it only headline news for a bit so people can tut tut and then they get to go back to being built up by the media and often getting praised for being role models?

Why is it a terrible mistake or a misunderstanding when a British player does something, but almost a crime against humanity when a nasty foreign player does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I agree with the previous poster. There's enough scumbags & nackers in football. It's time to end this kind of nonsense. The club should ban him for a few games. Look at the facts of it: he racially abuses the player, then refuses to shake his hand. He's an embarassment to LFC. If you cant see that, then maybe it is you who does not understand what sport should be about, and what damage he's already done to the good name & history of LFC.

He maintained his innocence after being found guilty on the "balance of probabilities", without evidence or corroboration, by process that finds 99.5% of people guilty.

Is there a club in the world that wouldn't have taken his side under those circumstances? Regardless of the seriousness of the crime, you can't expect the club to punish him when they believe he's innocent. Their handling of the fallout was dreadful, but Liverpool did the right thing in supporting Suarez from the get-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Id imagine he thinks hes a scumbag for handling the ball then jumping up and down on the touchline celebrating like hes just scored the winning goal in the world cup final.

People say theyd do the same in that split second but whos coming out saying that they'd celebrate a cheating act with such fervor? No one because they wouldnt. Most would feel at least some shame over it, not Saurez though and no shame whatsoever after he was found guilty of RACIALLY ABUSING someone then refusing to shake THE VICTIMS hand.

Ah Furher, won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!

I would, I admit it. If I had just made a play that had kept Ireland's world cup dream alive then I'd celebrate like a mad ****ing banshee. And anyone who wouldn't lacks a little thing called national pride.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He maintained his innocence after being found guilty on the "balance of probabilities", without evidence or corroboration, by process that finds 99.5% of people guilty.

Is there a club in the world that wouldn't have taken his side under those circumstances? Regardless of the seriousness of the crime, you can't expect the club to punish him when they believe he's innocent. Their handling of the fallout was dreadful, but Liverpool did the right thing in supporting Suarez from the get-go.

The club backed him regardless of the evidence they were getting themselves. What he admitted to saying when talking to Kuyt and Comolli makes him look guilty, but the club backed Suarez anyway. That is not a club doing the right thing.

The fact that you think other clubs would have done the same (which we can't know) doesn't make it right either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yes, Victim.

When did the FA in England become a court of Law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All because people fed the troll.

I didn't think that the Gremlin's rule applied though. If people knew feeding caused multiplication they probably wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good for you!

I'm sure the media has many more pre packaged points of view ready for you to adapt out of the box. Happy hunting!

Genuine lols. :D

When did the FA in England become a court of Law?

You are arguing semantics? The precise use of ''convicted'' can be argued, but it is not important to the point he was making.

Definition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was it not only last week that you were on here talking about the Heysel tragedy and trying to make out that it was some kind of taboo subject despite you actually admitting you knew very little about what you were talking about?

I put up a good unbiased documentary for you to watch as well as some links on the topic and suddenly you clammed up and no longer wanted to discuss the topic that you had claimed should be discussed.

So how can anyone take what you are now saying with regards to "what the club stands for" with any degree of seriousness?

So do tell us what exactly the club stands for and in your own words, not some glib throwaway shyte like what the tabloids or Sky have been churning out for the dumb.

As someone who is from Liverpool I am interested to hear what the view on what the club stands for is from the POV of a supporter of another club. I'm sure you have a bit to say on it, otherwise why would you have said it, and it is not like you would put up an embarrassing post in the way you just claimed that Phoenix Park has.

So come on. What are these things the club stands for? What do they mean in your opinion to me as someone from Liverpool? What do they mean to the millions of Liverpool supporters outside of Liverpool? Come on Willy, now is your chance to shine.

Nice post Kess.

Liverpool F.C pride themselves on there History. The Liverpool fans i know pride themselves on there manager, great history and showing respect on the pitch.

Suarez spat all over those things numerous times with his behavior, he also dragged KK down a few pegs as well.

He also contradicted his manager who said he would shake Evra's hand .

This forced Kenny into another awkward interview situation.

Do you think Luiz Suarez is behaving like a Liverpool player should?

Do you not think a big club like Liverpool deserve better from a player?

He has tarnished the clubs reputation with his antics, Kenny is also to blame but i believe its more naivety on his part rather than malice.

It doesn't matter what i think the club stands for, its what you and your fellow fans think it stands for that matters and if you think what has gone on befits the prestige built by some of the great legends of the past then i fear times are changing for the worst. I mean for all Rafa's faults, he would never of allowed the likes of Suarez to disgrace the club as King Kenny did and tarnish the LFC brand for years to come.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I didn't think that the Gremlin's rule applied though. If people knew feeding caused multiplication they probably wouldn't do it.

Thought it was feeding after midnight that caused them to change, and water caused them to multiply.

Should be safe if we follow the midnight to 7am advice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pro. F wrote: »
    Handy that you believe that Evra doesn't believe the allegations he made himself.

not to get into all this shíte again...but didn't Evra say in the report he doesn't believe Suarez is a racist?

you can say a comment is racist, and still believe the person saying it isn't a racist.

hence me believing Evra, while within his rights to report the comment obviously because it shouldn't be said, but i don't think truly believes he was ever racially "abused". i think i just hate that word abused in this case.

it aggravates me :p

not to get into all this shíte again...but didn't Evra say in the report he doesn't believe Suarez is a racist?

you can say a comment is racist, and still believe the person saying it isn't a racist.

hence me believing Evra, while within his rights to report the comment obviously because it shouldn't be said, but i don't think truly believes he was ever racially "abused". i think i just hate that word abused in this case.

Right, because only racists can racially abuse people.

Just like only bigots can only ever say Xenophobic, Homophobic or Sexist things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yes. Yes, that's exactly what he said.

• Advertisement

Nice post Kess.

Liverpool F.C pride themselves on there History. The Liverpool fans i know pride themselves on there manager, great history and showing respect on the pitch.

Suarez spat all over those things numerous times with his behavior, he also dragged KK down a few pegs as well.

He has tarnished the clubs reputation with his antics, Kenny is also to blame but i believe its more naivety on his part rather than malice.

It doesn't matter what i think the club stands for, its what you and your fellow fans think it stands for that matters and if you think what has gone on befits the prestige built by some of the great legends of the past then i fear times are changing for the worst. I mean for all Rafa's faults, he would never of allowed the likes of Suarez to disgrace the club as King Kenny did and tarnish the LFC brand for years to come.

Indeed. And what many of us believe Liverpool FC is about is representing the working people of Liverpool while winning trophies and taking no **** from anyone in the process. The likes of yourself don't get that.

It would have been better if Suarez had shaken Evra's hand I guess, but the entire incident doesn't impact upon the mission of the club. The likes of yourself and the British media can say it does until steam comes out of the ears, but such opinions are meaningless.

We are about winning more trophies this year, getting in the Champions League soon, and bringing home the league over the next few years. Those things bring joy to the working people of Liverpool, and that is the club's legacy. Kenny and Suarez being here help us move towards that end.

Ultimately, the moral concern is a you problem, rather than an us problem.

You are arguing semantics? The precise use of ''convicted'' can be argued, but it is not important to the point he was making.

Definition

Not even the FA used convicted in there report they used found guilty of.

I would be very careful throwning around the convicted in the UK and Ireland and one automatically thinks of a court of Law, and convicted to a term in prison.

Just like only bigots can only ever say Xenophobic, Homophobic or Sexist things.

strawman.jpg

what?

did i say even once that Suarez didn't say something deemed racist, or that Suarez didn't do anything wrong?

i just don't like this phrase "racially abused" in this case. quit being so fúcking defensive.

I would be very careful throwning around the convicted in the UK and Ireland and one automatically thinks of a court of Law, and convicted to a term in prison.

You are aware that Convicted means found guilty of, right?

Nice post Kess.

Ahh so you have no opinion of your own as to what the club stands for then?

You were just spouting the "anything the club stands for" line because you heard it on tv or you heard an adult saying it. So you don't have to have a clue as to what you are talking about because it is up to others to get it. Great, glad that has been cleared up.

Delighted to see you now think that Kenny was only being naive, because a few weeks back you said he was a disgrace.

You are dead right about one thing though. It really does not matter what you think, because you will just change your stance over and over to suit whatever the media is dripfeeding at that particular time.

Oh yeah one more thing. There was a man at the door. The ball is over there. That is their car. Their cries could be heard.

• Advertisement

Yes, Evra said he doesn't believe Suarez is a racist. I think you are just giving far too much weight to the word ''abuse''. ''Racial abuse'' is the best description of what Evra accused Suarez of doing and the fact that Evra doesn't believe that Suarez is a racist doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

what?

did i say even once that Suarez didn't say something deemed racist, or that Suarez didn't do anything wrong?

i just don't like this phrase "racially abused" in this case. quit being so fúcking defensive.

Didn't he unintentionally agree with what you said?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn't he unintentionally agree with what you said?

i barely understand what he was getting at, i took a shot at what he was getting at, but yes, i suppose he may have.

who knows :confused:

Indeed. And what many of us believe Liverpool FC is about is representing the working people of Liverpool while winning trophies and taking no **** from anyone in the process. The likes of yourself don't get that.

It would have been better if Suarez had shaken Evra's hand I guess, but the entire incident doesn't impact upon the mission of the club. The likes of yourself and the British media can say it does until steam comes out of the ears, but such opinions are meaningless.

We are about winning more trophies this year, getting in the Champions League soon, and bringing home the league over the next few years. Those things bring joy to the working people of Liverpool, and that is the club's legacy. Kenny and Suarez being here help us move towards that end.

Ultimately, the moral concern is a you problem, rather than an us problem.

To be honest, I think that there could be an anus problem as well. A verbal posterior is never a good thing.

That is because they were writing a tightly worded, legally sound document.
    I don't automatically think of that. Words have meanings outside of technical usage. Convicted only means found guilty in normal language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oh yeah one more thing. There was a man at the door. The ball is over there. That is their car. Their cries could be heard.

?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    ?

I thought you were in the know? :p

The-Rigger wrote: »
    ?

"There" & "Their"

This, That, These, and Those.
    That's the way the T H goes.

strawman.jpg

Save this

straws.jpg;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Thing is we will get fourth spot IMO, the only threat to that is Arsenal and i think we will be good enough to pip them to it.

If by some chance we didn't get fourth i agree he would probably look at his options.
    me wrote:
    money where your mouth is?

we'll keep it friendly, 20 quid says Liverpool will finish ahead of Chelsea

hey did you miss my post or you just doing what we all think you are and picking posts where you can attempt to look good but fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ahh so you have no opinion of your own as to what the club stands for then?

You were just spouting the "anything the club stands for" line because you heard it on tv or you heard an adult saying it. So you don't have to have a clue as to what you are talking about because it is up to others to get it. Great, glad that has been cleared up.

Delighted to see you now think that Kenny was only being naive, because a few weeks back you said he was a disgrace.

You are dead right about one thing though. It really does not matter what you think, because you will just change your stance over and over to suit whatever the media is dripfeeding at that particular time.

I especially liked that last part.

Could you give us one for where, were and wear? Or to, two and too?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

That is because they were writing a tightly worded, legally sound document.

I don't automatically think of that. Words have meanings outside of technical usage. Convicted only means found guilty in normal language.

It means found guilty of a criminal offence.

Suarez wasn't charged with a criminal offence, he was charged with breaking an FA rule. Therefore he wasn't convicted of anything.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I especially liked that last part.

Could you give us one for where, were and wear? Or to, two and too?

:p

I could show you one in which I use the word off a lot. :p

Suarez wasn't charged with a criminal offence, he was charged with breaking an FA rule. Therefore he wasn't convicted of anything.

Not according to the Miriam-Webster dictionary, which I linked earlier. I would have thought that ''convicted'' can be used in more than the strictly legal sense and mean ''proven guilty of'' and the dictionary backs me up. So now can we move on from the silly semantics? The point made in the original post was easy to understand in the first place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

it doesn't.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Not according to the Miriam-Webster dictionary, which I linked earlier. I would have thought that ''convicted'' can be used in more than the strictly legal sense and mean ''proven guilty of'' and the dictionary backs me up. So now can we move on from the silly semantics? The point made in the original post was easy to understand in the first place anyway.

No you're simply wrong.

Luis was not convicted, if he was he'd have a criminal record unless he was given the benefit of a conditional discharge under the Probation Acts (which don't apply to FA rules funnily enough)

Eat my legal knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No you're simply wrong.

Luis was not convicted, if he was he'd have a criminal record unless he was given the benefit of a conditional discharge under the Probation Acts (which don't apply to FA rules funnily enough)

Eat my legal knowledge.

you-got-lawyered-thumb.jpg

No you're simply wrong.

Eat my legal knowledge.

Your useful for something . :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So you think Rooney is a scumbag for celebrating that goal from the penalty spot to end Arsenals unbeaten run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

danniemcq wrote: »
    hey did you miss my post or you just doing what we all think you are and picking posts where you can attempt to look good but fail?

If I wasn't a pool fan I would bite your hand off for that bet! As it stands, I don't bet against my own team...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bit of light relief:

http://i43.tinypic.com/rlygdw.jpg

keano_afc wrote: »

V good.

but welcome to January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Nice post Kess.

This sh1te reminds me of Fergie's post match interview on the weekend.
    Laying it on thick about how great and prestigious Liverpool Football Club is and how our great club shouldn't let ourselves be disgraced, letting ourselves down etc.

It's a cheap ploy to condescend from a high horse. A clever way to get somebody onside while sticking the boot in at the same time. I disagree with the way the whole Suarez affair has been handled, by the management and himself, but when people start sticking their oar in from other clubs pontificating about how the club and fans should conduct themselves i can't help but think, "go and ask my bollox".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement