Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We needed that. Very happy!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In 3 FA Cup games, albeit with 2 lower league teams in there, we've scored as many goals as we have in our 12 league games :(

2 in two for Suarez...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good result, can't really find too many complaints when you win by 5 Suarez gifs.

Henderson started off a bit shakey before fading into obscurity. Downing had a good game and would be nice to see him kick on from it as Carroll has done.. Good to see Suarez score again and getting the nod from Kenny for the peno makes it seem like last week hasn't had any negative effects on their relationship.

9 goals in 10 for the Suarez-Carroll partnership.

Nice stat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Well done Andy Carroll .

Special mention to Martin Skirtel who is becoming (if not) one of the best CB in the league .
    Not one mistake can I recall all season from him and he would be a great addition to any of our competitors squads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

ush wrote: »
    Ok. Fair enough. Which of the two of us is being the more negative?

'Cos I'm genuinely worried about the team's focus. There's the reality that our squad has shortcomings. I still think the culture of the club should the respect the occasion of a cup final. But deep down we should think that this is beneath us. For me its not negativity, its an arrogance that we should possess.

Don't want to mention his name, but there's a black lad playing at a rival club; he said something about being enbarrassed to play in the Europa league. And I'm a bit concerned that we're getting our excuses in early for an eventual non top 4 finish.

Now, I hope you have a blast at Wembley. I'm taking the day off work to watch it with mates. And I'll get my concerns to myself. But you know I'm uneasy with this domestic cup focus.

I'm sure you will find that player said he was embarrassed to be in the EL cos he felt they should be in the champion's league and he was trying to appease the fans for their terrible showing in the CL. Completely different to someone saying they would be embarrassed to win the league cup. Seriously ush, I can't say how I really feel about your comment about winning the LC cos I would be banned for sure but sufficeth to say, your comment is both embarrassing and cringeworthy to the rest of us. If you could just jog on that would be great, tis a free world tho so do whatever you want I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

mike65 wrote: »
    I guess ush will be most unhappy with that. Tough! :pac:

I'll have to live with it. Can't wait for the rugby match against Stoke. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

After the past week, we needed that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

are we taking it in turns to spell Martin Skeertels name wrong ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thought this was brilliant.

1z66ohz.png

mormank wrote: »
    I'm sure you will find that player said he was embarrassed to be in the EL cos he felt they should be in the champion's league and he was trying to appease the fans for their terrible showing in the CL. Completely different to someone saying they would be embarrassed to win the league cup.

But isn't it about appeasing fans. Some fans are more easily pleased than others. Sorry, but without a top four finish we shouldn't have much to cheer about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Can I ask without making a fool of myself, what is the relevance of the cat on that image?

killwill wrote: »
    Can I ask without making a fool of myself, what is the relevance of the cat on that image?

The Anfield Cat who stormed the Anfield pitch against Spurs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

But isn't it about appeasing fans. Some fans are more easily pleased than others. Sorry, but without a top four finish we shouldn't have much to cheer about.

I have also been touting the importance of a top 4 finish over cups but this isn't a time to moan. For me, it a bonus, and a welcome one, i still think 4th is the priority but it shouldn't take away from any enjoyment of today. We just won 6-1, be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You don't know:eek: Why it's Anfield Cat!

231989-anfield-cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

tumblr_lz4t2js6Gj1qba3z2o1_500.gif

I have also been touting the importance of a top 4 finish over cups but this isn't a time to moan. For me, it a bonus, and a welcome one, i still think 4th is the priority but it shouldn't take away from any enjoyment of today. We just won 6-1, be happy.

Moaning? We should be arrogant. Carling Cup joy should be shortlived. FA progression is fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with league finish.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    You don't know:eek: Why it's Anfield Cat!

231989-anfield-cat.jpg

Not a Pool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good job real fans don't hold the same opinion as him or Anfield would be empty today.

What like Stamford bridge yesteday

• Advertisement

Not a Pool fan!

The Anfield cat is bigger than football rivalry!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not a Pool fan!

That's no excuse and you know it :p

Let it also be known that Anfield Cat has now been named Shankly.

Quick question while everyone in here is happy again and I am not trying to stir anything. Rumour has it on the Utd Superthread that Suarez is going to see the Ajax game on Thursday.
    Is this not a crazy idea considering recent events? For not only his safety but just to let things die down in the media too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Watching ESPN's pregame coverage and the thing about Suarez. Was that Paddy Barclay taking the moral highground?

Quick question while everyone in here is happy again and I am not trying to stir anything. Rumour has it on the Utd Superthread that Suarez is going to see the Ajax game on Thursday.
    Is this not a crazy idea considering recent events? For not only his safety but just to let things die down in the media too?

Haven't heard that. Pretty risky move alright. I can't see it being true though. He loves Ajax and the Ajax fans love him, but if there is any truth to that rumour, Liverpool should just nip it in the bud right now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Watching ESPN's pregame coverage and the thing about Suarez. Was that Paddy Barclay taking the moral highground?

Yep! Posted about it earlier on. It was actually sickening.

Everytime I have seen ESPN discussing the whole affair, I have found their coverage to be extremely poor. They would ask Barnes a fairly loaded question and each time, he would majorly play it down. The presenter just continued asking more and more loaded questions.

Extremely frustrating to watch and really did show that they were reveling in the scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep comical to hear him trying to do that.

Fergie probably started that rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It was disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yep! Posted about it earlier on. It was actually sickening.

Everytime I have seen ESPN discussing the whole affair, I have found their coverage to be extremely poor. They would ask Barnes a fairly loaded question and each time, he would majorly play it down. The presenter just continued asking more and more loaded questions.

Extremely frustrating to watch and really did show that they were reveling in the scandal.

Which is why i now dont watch build up to any game

Are you for real? I sure hope you are not a true representation of Liverpool fans these days. So you suggest we wait until the season is over to celebrate the League Cup victory should we win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

423277_380679068628743_100000599591740_1377382_881368268_n.jpg

monkey9 wrote: »
    Haven't heard that. Pretty risky move alright. I can't see it being true though. He loves Ajax and the Ajax fans love him, but if there is any truth to that rumour, Liverpool should just nip it in the bud right now!!

Surely if we all want this behind us he should be allowed to go see whatever match he chooses. If he can't go see Ajax play on thursday then aren't the terrorists really winning??

ASOT wrote: »

Shelvey getting carried away with the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It was clearly very cold today but i wont post that image seeing as there are kids about. :pac:

82274b93e414bcb99a6111509620c681-getty-509001802.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool, if they win it, should look embarrassed to be there. Hopefully they won't celebrate it too much.

Jeez man, lighten up. Awful run of posts from you on this particular topic. We should be embarrassed about what exactly? We beat Stoke away, Chelsea away and City over two legs to get there. Tough run by any metric. Cardiff will be no pushover, and it's our first piece of silverware in six years.

How is any of that bad? Because someone told you the Carling Cup was a less important competition? City, Chelsea and Stoke played full strength sides against us and tried to win the competition. We beat them though, and if we finish the job on Sunday we should be proud as punch. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It was great to have Suarez back today. He was at the centre of everything. His movement is so classy. His penalty kick was shocking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

ASOT wrote: »
    looks like Carra has a groupie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Good win.

Downing seems to play better when we play 4-4-2 formation.

The FA Cup is there for the taking with the Mancs, City and Arsenal all out.

I think a win next Sunday in the Carling Cup could be just what's needed to kickstart our challenge for fourth.

And good to see Carroll and Suarez linking up well. First signs that the partnership could work. It will be interesting to see if Kenny starts them both next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

FA Cup is anyones. I wouldnt get over excited. Great result today and a huge boost .

Delighted for Andy and Luis. Maybe the football will be centrestage again soon.

Kenny was great today. I dont care what other teams fans think of us but I dont think loyalty is a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

No more draws , either go all out and put everything into every game from here on and scrape the wins or go out there and give it everything and lose, no more ****ty draws , i could stomach a few losses before i could stomach 3 or 4 more draws.

Lads, i can't remember who posted originally. But someone weeks back put up a great photo of Kenny photoshopped in front of the Kop with a slogan along the lines of ''Kenny's army marching on to Wembley'' for the League Cup final. Anybody have that photo??

No more draws , either go all out and put everything into every game from here on and scrape the wins or go out there and give it everything and lose, no more ****ty draws , i could stomach a few losses before i could stomach 3 or 4 more draws.

I know what you mean but 1 point is always better than none.

I know what you mean but 1 point is always better than none.
    ya but two draws is less than 1 win 1 loss . and constantly drawing is as much or a morale drain as a loss

ya but two draws is less than 1 win 1 loss . and constantly drawing is as much or a morale drain as a loss

A draw and a win is better than a win and a loss!

We could do this all night :p

A draw and a win is better than a win and a loss!

We could do this all night :p
    We could i think we are thinking along the same lines anyway, i suppose the big thing in my view is there is no morale boost to a draw , morale wise its only slightly better than a loss but both are negative.

I hope the lads keep the morale boost from today going and go into the game next weekend raring to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

430553_328032003915372_168174886567752_987859_338716897_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Guys,

If this is the wrong thread for a few question's/thoughts i had..! feel free to tell me to piss off..!!
    I just had a bit of a thought today regarding champions league qualification.

How are each countries allocation of spots handed out? Is it based on that countries domestic sides performance in Europe or does the national side record come into question??

I ask this because I am beginning to think, based on performances so far this season, only 3 English teams deserve a place in next years champions league. City, United & Spurs.

I know there is a bit to go yet.. But in all honesty, Chelsea have been rubbish and are already knocked out of this years champs league. Same story with Arsenal. and Liverpool are 4 points off these teams.

Is this fourth spot providing a spot in the champions league for a team who are essentially not up to the standard.?

Would three champions league spots ensure a better challenge at the top end of the league.

I'm a Liverpool fan.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Guys,

If this is the wrong thread for this question, feel free to tell me to piss off..!!

How are each countries allocation of spots handed out? Is it based on that countries domestic sides performance in Europe or does the national side record come into question??

I ask this because I am beginning to think, based on performances so far this season, only 3 English teams deserve a place in next years champions league. City, United & Spurs.

I know there is a bit to go yet.. But in all honesty, Chelsea have been rubbish and are already knocked out of this years champs league. Same story with Arsenal. and Liverpool are 4 points off these teams.

Is this fourth spot providing a spot in the champions league for a team who are essentially not up to the standard.?

Would three champions league spots ensure a better challenge at the top end of the league.

The national team has nothing to do with it. Basically, each league has it's own ranking and those rankings are based on how the teams from that league perform in Europe.

The Premier league has four sides in the Champions league because the English clubs in general have performed really well.

But if this season continued the way it has over the next few years, i.e, two clubs not making it out of the group stages, the rankings would drop and it would leave only three spots for Champions League qualification. Two spots if things got truly ridiculously bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

W123-80's wrote: »
    Guys,

If this is the wrong thread for a few question's/thoughts i had..! feel free to tell me to piss off..!!

I'm a Liverpool fan.

Read me!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement