Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Looking at that, sure who'd want to join. Convincing the kind of talent we need to actually sign for us, will get more difficult now. No wonder we're being linked with some SPL striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im trying to break this down and where it all went wrong today.

Team sheet : Very happy
    Preparation : No midweek game so no excuse there.

Bellamy was the only player fit to wear the red shirt.
    Reina has my full backing.
    Defense: 1st goal was from the defense misreading a pass and not reacting quick enough .

Midfield : were not good enough whatsoever when needed to fall back and help out defensively . One camera shot summed it up for me , it was the full backs breaking their holes to get the ball and close players down , while gerrard was standing ten yards away standing still hands on hips while bolton players bombed passed him trying to get in the box.

Adam i dont want to see you in the shirt again any time soon , i would give you one more chance before the end of the season and then **** you outta the club if theres no significant change.

Forwards: Bellamy was great , Carroll provided Bellamy with plenty of goods balls. Which sums it up really the two forwards were trying to provide each other good balls . While the midfield was made a show of.

Also when your 3-1 behind dont be passing the ball around like your ****ing barcalona ..........................:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm sorry to say it but Kuyt has to go. The team isn't as bad as some people think. But one or two have to go. And get a couple in. A pacy wide man is a must. Another CF. I hope we don't lose out on Hoilett coz we're tryin to haggle Blackburn down to 5m or somethin. Offer 7.5m or whatever and get it over with. Otherwise Tottenham or someone else will come in and get him. Don't want that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ush wrote: »
    Looking at that, sure who'd want to join. Convincing the kind of talent we need to actually sign for us, will get more difficult now. No wonder we're being linked with some SPL striker.

The players we need to sign aren't superstars. We are more attractive than most CL clubs because we can pay high wages and are world famous. Same reason juve and Milan remained attractive despite their falls from grace a few years ago.

Who really would rather sign for Basle, Galatasaray, Lille, Twente or Shakhtar ahead of Liverpool? We can't compete with real, barca, city, Chelsea or united, for various reasons, but we can at least compete with the rest. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

kenny saying that has just cooled me a little..

it has to be said....its what every single one of us wants to say but noone can...kenny as spoke for us today!

even though who tells him he's making mistakes!

busy weekend on the real life version of football managers transfer function for kenny me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

amiable wrote: »
    Tactical shrewdness is what Steve Clarke is all about.

What do you base that on? I've noticed alot of people commenting on the great job Steve Clarke has done, but genuinely on what basis can anyone from the outside asses the role of a coach/assistant manager?
    opr wrote: »
    I have to say I am not a fan of what Kenny has been saying after the match. Isn't he the very one who has said we will deal will things behind closed doors ? It feels like a media savvy play to appease the fans.

Opr

He's been saying recently how happy he is with Carroll, Downing and the squad in general. I think that pissed me off more, because the fans aren't stupid, even the blind could see they're not good enough. At least we know, and can see that he recognises the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Has anyone actually seen the interview or just going on a Tweet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

manual_man wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say it but Kuyt has to go. The team isn't as bad as some people think. But one or two have to go. And get a couple in. A pacy wide man is a must. Another CF. I hope we don't lose out on Hoilett coz we're tryin to haggle Blackburn down to 5m or somethin. Offer 7.5m or whatever and get it over with. Otherwise Tottenham or someone else will come in and get him. Don't want that

I think its time to blood Sterling. At least blood him from the bench, Im sure hes ready now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mixednuts wrote: »
    Has anyone actually seen the interview or just going on a Tweet ?

The woman who tweeted it was a presenter for ESPN so you can take what she said as fact.

Edit: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/132289.html
    Originally posted by Dalglish
    The result is disappointing, but the most disappointing thing for me was that I don't think we were ready to play the game. I don't think the approach was correct and I don't think the way we went about our work was correct.

The foundations of the football club have always been built upon respect for other people and the philosophy that the next game is the most important one - not the one that is two or three down the line.

If they needed a lesson to be taught to them then today was it. If they think they can just turn up and get a result, not be as competitive and not match the opposition for effort and commitment then they've got a lesson today.

If they've learned it then fine. Without trying to take anything away from Owen [Coyle] and the way Bolton played, we have to look at ourselves and see what we can do to try and prevent it from happening in the future. That's what we'll do.

There's nobody been at this football club that's not had respect for other people. If that is what the problem was then, that they thought this game wasn't as important a game as the next one, then fine but they'll not be here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

We were outplayed by Bolton lads and it all stemmed from the midfield. It horribly highlights the role Lucas played in this team and it empathises the importance of bringing in a worthy replacement in this window.

Well if they handled the Suarez thing better, the players would have had alot less distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Tweet is probably based on this interview - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-s-bolton-verdict

The general tone of what was said has been sexied up to make it sound more like a angry rant against the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think I figured out the problem with today, I forgot to use my Liverpool F.C mug.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to all the loyal fans on this thread, the players, club and King Kenny - who seems to have taken it particularly badly, the 5,000 traveling away fans and Patrice Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

We were outplayed by Bolton lads and it all stemmed from the midfield. It horribly highlights the role Lucas played in this team and it empathises the importance of bringing in a worthy replacement in this window.

I dont think its all down to missing Lucas. Yes he would have probably prevented two of the goals, but how many times this season have we had a lot of the ball against weaker opposition and not put the ball in the net. Today we didnt even create too many chances. A DM wont solve that problem im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I'm not too worried tbh, we're a work in progress. Looking forward to the City game and of course next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Posted the interview in match thread but I'll post it here too
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/132292.html

Fowler87 wrote: »

I think its time to blood Sterling. At least blood him from the bench, Im sure hes ready now??

Well we need to do something... Players have started younger than Sterling's age in first team... Would love to see him playin left wing forward. And then for Andy to give him a piggy back ride at the Kop end for a goal celebration

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

tommyhaas wrote: »
    What do you base that on? I've noticed alot of people commenting on the great job Steve Clarke has done, but genuinely on what basis can anyone from the outside asses the role of a coach/assistant manager?

I base that on from the clambering there was for Clarke to come back to Chelsea.

From the better organised team Liverpool have been since he came on board.

From the fact that Kenny barely knew him yet went out of his way to get him on board at Liverpool as he's so highly thought of.

From genuinely talking to other coaches in the game who think he is a brilliant hands on and tactical coach.

I agree Tommy there's nothing 100% concrete there unless you are in Melwood every week but the common theme from very good sources is that Steve Clarke is tactically very astute.

Behind nearly every good manager is a good coach. Look at Fergie. Most successful seasons he's had he's had a good right hand man.
    fergie himself would be gone only for Lee Martin.

There's so much frustration out there tonight but maybe it's time to take a breather and let things settle.

I still believe we have the right man on board to steer the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would you have a phone friendly (non flash ) version of that video ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I base that on from the clambering there was for Clarke to come back to Chelsea.

From the better organised team Liverpool have been since he came on board.

From the fact that Kenny barely knew him yet went out of his way to get him on board at Liverpool as he's so highly thought of.

From genuinely talking to other coaches in the game who think he is a brilliant hands on and tactical coach.

I agree Tommy there's nothing 100% concrete there unless you are in Melwood every week but the common theme from very good sources is that Steve Clarke is tactically very astute.

Behind nearly every good manager is a good coach. Look at Fergie. Most successful seasons he's had he's had a good right hand man.
    fergie himself would be gone only for Lee Martin.

There's so much frustration out there tonight but maybe it's time to take a breather and let things settle.

I still believe we have the right man on board to steer the ship.

I think the jury is out on this one. He seems to have Kenny's ear, and the tactics have been flawed.

People harp on about his role at chelsea, but I can well imagine Mourinho having sole input, Clarke may have taken training drills etc.. but a coach like Mourinho is responsible for every fine detail.

At West Ham with Zola it did not turn out well. If Kenny has given him more responsibilities on the back of what Chelsea achieved whilst he was there, then it may be a bit misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Liverpool are in desperate need of a DM and a goal scorer. Someone has to be brought in to fill the void with Lucas out. Big Andy wont ever cut it IMO, Bent or Defoe wouldn't be bad options plus they would be realistic signings.

Suarez coming back will be a major boost, although he is not a high goal scorer, he has that bit of extra quality about him, however the Racism incident will now follow him for the remainder of his Premier League stint IMO, who knows how what his head will be like, he may feel its not worth it and jump ship to Spain, Italy or where ever..

Adam, Henderson, Downing are also not good enough, King Kenny has to take ownership of these abysmal signings, he is the manager the book stops with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Kenny is one man who can say what he likes, He has earned that right i believe, And what we saw on pitch reflects on him, And that's why he is so
    annoyed with players,
    I'm sure Kenny prepared right for this game, And had right attitude,
    Is Steve Clarke type of guy to speak up and call for changes during a game?
    That's my worry, Will he say Kenny we need to change it now!
    We are short in midfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

The biggest thing we miss in Lucas isn't his ability to break up play, that's fine against the Chelsea/Man City's but his ability to set up swift counter attacks with an accurate out ball and have the opposing team on the back foot.

Where's the signings? They're looking at mid table mediocrity if they don't make some serious signings. **** the academy.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I think the jury is out on this one. He seems to have Kenny's ear, and the tactics have been flawed.

People harp on about his role at chelsea, but I can well imagine Mourinho having sole input, Clarke may have taken training drills etc.. but a coach like Mourinho is responsible for every fine detail.

At West Ham with Zola it did not turn out well. If Kenny has given him more responsibilities on the back of what Chelsea achieved whilst he was there, then it may be a bit misguided.

Actually at West Ham they were undermined so much the fact they weren't relegated earlier is testament IMO to his skills.

Is it too soon to bring in Coady as a DM? He's nearly 18. Has shown good leadership skills at underage level. Would be a bloody sight better than Adam

Is it too soon to bring in Coady as a DM? He's nearly 18. Has shown good leadership skills at underage level. Would be a bloody sight better than Adam

IMO he's probably the closest player we have at the academy player ready for the first team but it's still too early.

People may look to Jack Robinson and John Flanagan last season but again IMO fullback is the easiest position to throw a kid in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think I figured out the problem with today, I forgot to use my Liverpool F.C mug.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to all the loyal fans on this thread, the players, club and King Kenny - who seems to have taken it particularly badly, the 5,000 traveling away fans and Patrice Evra.

And here was me thinking it was because my lucky Torres 9 jersey was in the wash.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tactical shrewdness is what Steve Clarke is all about.

You can say tactical shrewdness but most people looked at the teamsheet before the match and were happy.

It was a terrible day at the office and it's last chance saloon for a few plyers out there for the rest of the season.

I don't know how anybody was happy with that team today, it was an accident waiting to happen. Badly need Spearing fit or else a DM needs to be bought as an immediate priority.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

IMO he's probably the closest player we have at the academy player ready for the first team but it's still too early.

People may look to Jack Robinson and John Flanagan last season but again IMO fullback is the easiest position to throw a kid in to.

Sometimes ya gotta throw them in at the deep end. Best way to learn fast. If the talent's there, use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I looked up his age on the club site earlier too, but I think we were taught maths differently :pac:

tommyhaas wrote: »

I looked up his age on the club site earlier too, but I think we taught maths differently :pac:

Sorry 19! All the more reason to bring him in! We're gonna lose these youngsters if we don't start playin them soon!

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't know how anybody was happy with that team today, it was an accident waiting to happen. Badly need Spearing fit or else a DM needs to be bought as an immediate priority.

So who should have played that role?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Kenny still had his Addidas gear on,

Buy players. The immediate solution is buying to improve the squad. Its the transfer window but twice a year. The academy is always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So who should have played that role?

Nobody, which is kind of the point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

heres the interview

edit
    kenny the lucky fecker...goin off for a shower with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Im probably in the minority here but I dont give a toss about the FA or Carling cups tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Did it just dawn on you after today's game?

I do agree tho!

eldwaro wrote: »
    heres the interview

edit
    kenny the lucky fecker...goin off for a shower with her

A refreshing interview from a manager, whether he sticks to his word is a whole other kettle of fish.

Personally I think Kenny was OTT, I don't think any individual performance was so bad that they deserve to be immediately shipped out, it was more an issue with the formation set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ush wrote: »
    Buy players. The immediate solution is buying to improve the squad. Its the transfer window but twice a year. The academy is always there.
    If only it was open all year round we mightened have rushed into some of the deals weve done. So in that case Id prefer to promote some of the youngsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Christ we miss Lucas big time but not as much as Charlie Adam misses him he has been atrocious lately.
    Our midfield today was a disgrace and to think of the midfielders we let go in the last few years I could cry

K-9 wrote: »
    Nobody, which is kind of the point.

Nobody should have played it and because nobody played it then it proves Steve Clarke isn't tactically astute?

Christ we miss Lucas big time but not as much as Charlie Adam misses him he has been atrocious lately.
    Our midfield today was a disgrace and to think of the midfielders we let go in the last few years I could cry

You shouldn't be lamenting them, they pushed for their moves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

A refreshing interview from a manager, whether he sticks to his word is a whole other kettle of fish.

Personally I think Kenny was OTT, I don't think any individual performance was so bad that they deserve to be immediately shipped out, it was more an issue with the formation set up.
    I think it was the apparent arrogant attitude that KK is threatening to act on, not the actual performance.

On transfers I'd prefer we didn't buy anyone this January as it's hard to get quality at this time.
    Get the head down work hard blood a few young lads, and spend big next summer.
    It would be a bonus to win the carling cup of course.
    Mind I would love to tie a deal for jordan Rhodes now for him to join in the summer the lad is top class and I'm adamant he will be a top premier league striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

On transfers I'd prefer we didn't buy anyone this January as it's hard to get quality at this time.
    Get the head down work hard blood a few young lads, and spend big next summer.
    It would be a bonus to win the carling cup of course.
    Mind I would love to tie a deal for jordan Rhodes now for him to join in the summer the lad is top class and I'm adamant he will be a top premier league striker

That last time that was said we spend 35 million on tarzans cousin.

You shouldn't be lamenting them, they pushed for their moves.

I'm not lamenting just saddened that not too long ago we had the best midfield in the world and then today watched our midfield being outplayed , outfought and out thought

ASOT wrote: »
    That last time that was said we spend 35 million on tarzans cousin.

Rhodes is different gravy I know it's a low level but it's the way he takes his chances, passes the ball into the net .
    God knows what he's worth though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement