Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mike65 wrote: »
    For them not watching Everton have put out a strong side. Practically an alternative starting 11

Can you or someone post the starting 11's / subs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

For them not watching Everton have put out a strong side. Practically an alternative starting 11

Do they have enough players for that? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can you or someone post the starting 11's / subs?

Everton XI: Mucha; Browning, Touray, Rodwell, Duffy, Jagielka; McFadden, Barkley, Anichebe, Osman, Coleman.

Subs: Adam Davies, Joao Silva, Eric Dier, Conor McAleny, Francisco Junior.

D94s7.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sexy from suso, should of been a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Suso excites me (no not in that way ! ) he is Silva-esq on the ball .

Sterling is nearly ready if you ask me .

Who travelled with the first team on Saturday ? ..someone mentioned a couple of academy players involved in the warm up .

:mad: Some wonderful stuff from Suso but no finish from Adorjan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Was in at the Rafa talk in Trinity tonight.

Legend.

You should have tagged on with us,we got to meet him back in his hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought after ye played Spurs away earlier in the season that he should take a leaf out of Neville's book and know when his time is up.

Liverpool aren't that bad off for numbers at the back that he's needed, is he?

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought after ye played Spurs away earlier in the season that he should take a leaf out of Neville's book and know when his time is up.

We're not that bad for numbers in the middle that Gerrard is needed there either. What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Unfortunately we are. Agger out we only have Coates and Carragher as back-up. Coates should be ahead of him now but he's still needed for the bench.
    We're not that bad for numbers in the middle that Gerrard is needed there either. What's your point?

His point is that Carragher is ****e and is no where near the stanard to be in the first team, certainly can't argue with that.

• Advertisement

Look let's get one thing straight .

Carragher is not shít he obviously has talent .
    He just can't cut the mustard now , and bad performances run the risk of masking how good he was in the past.

He needs to realise it might be time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That Carragher should step aside and let some youth come through.

Never said anything about Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

is wilson out on loan?

think he has great things ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Suso has such a creative spark, definatly mirrors a silva type play.

It'll be a travesty if Everton nick this.

How left sided is Suso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

It'll be a travesty if Everton nick this.

Just as you posted we should have scored. Sterling not being greedy which is good to see, Quality pass through to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

0-0

seems to be a similar finishing problem in the reserves

but to be fair..that was a strong everton res team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great display from the reserves against a strong enough Eveton side with Jagielka, Rodwell, Coleman and Anichebe out there. Agree about Suso, hes got that Silva spark about him. Sterling was quality. Right back looked decent should too. Should have won that with the amount of chances Liverpool had (similar scenario!)

By my ****ty maths their team had about 900 senior appearances for Everton. Only Brad Jones and Eccleston have played for us competitively yea?

• Advertisement

That Carragher should step aside and let some youth come through.

Never said anything about Gerrard.

I think you'll find that's the managers decision.

Carragher is NOT a starting 11 player for Liverpool, he's an accomplished replacement used when required, nothing more.

2 starts in the league this season says it all really. And I'd still trust him ahead of the likes of Coates - who in all fairness does have great potential.
    Unfortunately we are. Agger out we only have Coates and Carragher as back-up. Coates should be ahead of him now but he's still needed for the bench.

His point is that Carragher is ****e and is no where near the stanard to be in the first team, certainly can't argue with that.

Sorry, but I've seen nothing in Coates as yet that shows he should be ahead of Carra in the pecking order. He certainly has ability, but he gets caught out of position, and still looks a little over his head. Bags of potential, and maybe by next season could be a nailed on 3rd place centre half (after Agger and Skrtel). But right now I think its still justified that he's behind Carra in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Rumour mill has really kicked off today. Pedro is the latest player to be linked but he has a huge release clause. Also linked with Matias Suarez. Guess we will not know who we are trailing until he actually signs for us.

I mentioned the other Suarez yesterday

As for the mini derby, the future looks bright a real pity they couldn't find a way past Mucha (who was excellent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I mentioned the other Suarez yesterday

As for the mini derby, the future looks bright a real pity they couldn't find a way past Mucha (who was excellent).

The future has been looking bright for years now with regards to the youth set up. It seems to be a mantra that gets repeated season after season.

Right back to when Ged first did a big makeover job on our youth set up, and then Rafa did the same.

The one area of our youth set up that I don't have the greatest confidence in is the ability to spot or develop attacking talent that will make it to first team squad level and actually play in the first team.

We always seem to have a crop of talent that is spoken of as being ready for the first team, then they fade away and a new crop is getting talked about and the same talk of a bright future emerges again.

Not any kind of dig at yourself, just that we always seem to be on the verge of loads of great attacking talent, but it never seems to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Rumour mill has really kicked off today. Pedro is the latest player to be linked but he has a huge release clause. Also linked with Matias Suarez. Guess we will not know who we are trailing until he actually signs for us.

Glen Johnson is also allegedly a target of Real Madrid. This is an interesting one, i'd be open to selling him to be honest, provided we make Real pay through the nose.

With Kelly, Flanagan and even Wisdom capable of playing in this position i'd be willing to accept a big fee for Johnson

Ryan McLaughlin is also coming along nicely for the under 19s and reserves, we are well stocked at right full.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The future has been looking bright for years now with regards to the youth set up. It seems to be a mantra that gets repeated season after season.

Right back to when Ged first did a big makeover job on our youth set up, and then Rafa did the same.

The one area of our youth set up that I don't have the greatest confidence in is the ability to spot or develop attacking talent that will make it to first team squad level and actually play in the first team.

We always seem to have a crop of talent that is spoken of as being ready for the first team, then they fade away and a new crop is getting talked about and the same talk of a bright future emerges again.

Not any kind of dig at yourself, just that we always seem to be on the verge of loads of great attacking talent, but it never seems to happen.

too right, but I do think Borrell and Segura are implementing their own philosophy and culture into how LFC players should play.

There seems to be a streamlined structure in place, everyone from the 16s, youths, 19s and reserves all the way up to the first team are pulling in the same direction. The aim does seem to be to get the best of the youngsters into the first team, even allowing alot of them to train at melwood intermittently.

I'd have great faith in these 2 instilling the fundamentals on our younger players. Their reputation speaks for itself. Borrell is not a bloke trading off the name of Barcelona without ever being that integral. He was the man for alot of the talent you see in their first team now, and has been name checked as a massive influence on alot of their careers.

The younger the player, the more time these guys have to mould them into players of quality.

Alot of the reserves may have been at the club before Borrell and Segura arrived so one would imagine the real cream of the crop will arrive from the younger age groups where there has been more time to develop them at such a crucial age.

For the likes of Ecclesone, Borrell can only do so much such was his level of development before they arrived.

Its interesting times, i'd have full faith in these guys.

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    too right, but I do think Borrell and Segura are implementing their own philosophy and culture into how LFC players should play.

There seems to be a streamlined structure in place, everyone from the 16s, youths, 19s and reserves all the way up to the first team are pulling in the same direction. The aim does seem to be to get the best of the youngsters into the first team, even allowing alot of them to train at melwood intermittently.

I'd have great faith in these 2 instilling the fundamentals on our younger players. Their reputation speaks for itself. Borrell is not a bloke trading off the name of Barcelona without ever being that integral. He was the man for alot of the talent you see in their first team now, and has been name checked as a massive influence on alot of their careers.

The younger the player, the more time these guys have to mould them into players of quality.

Alot of the reserves may have been at the club before Borrell and Segura arrived so one would imagine the real cream of the crop will arrive from the younger age groups where there has been more time to develop them at such a crucial age.

For the likes of Ecclesone, Borrell can only do so much such was his level of development before they arrived.

Its interesting times, i'd have full faith in these guys.

Rafa might be gone but im sure he looks at the club and sees Borell & Segura still producing ,which is a big incentive to return if he ever gets the opportunity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think the problem is a lot people can adequately judge the large jump form reserves to first team football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Suso 19? How long before he's in first team,
    Another Pacheo ? All hype,
    He's old enough now, Geez Michael Owen had world cup under his belt at that age

I think the problem is a lot people can adequately judge the large jump form reserves to first team football.

its a massive step, even the jump from youth football to reserve football is a large jump.

Dalla Valle and Morgan are prime examples. both scored for fun at youth level and struggled at reserve level. Now i'm not writing Morgan off at all, but it just shows the gulf in quality.

Not many big clubs develop their own strikers mind you. United have Welbeck thats all I can think of at the minute feel free to fill in the gaps, but for strikers they simply need experience.

The loan issue is an interesting one, some feel its best to keep young players close to home so they can be coached in what they feel is the correct manner. Others feel that players need the experience of playing week in week out and having responsibility.

The correct approach is probably somewhere in between.

There are not many Liverpool players sent on loan with a view to developing them, you get the feeling that most are at the 19-20 age where we are looking to get them off the books or get a fee for them.

Silva at Northampton may be one that is bucking the trend, but i'd love to see the likes of Wisdom, Flanagan and Coady sample some loan action. They can play all the youth and reserve football they want, but there is no substitute for competitive action.

The likes of Sterling, Suso and the more creative players is a more tricky situation. Could you trust a club to handle them the right way if they have no long term gain i.e a potential permanent signing?

We need Paul Dalglish to get a job in the championship so we can farm out the best of our youngsters like Fergie does with Peterboro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

From Richie Partridge to Raheem Stirling, there has been a history of over-hyping young prospects at Liverpool. The number of players in that who have made the big jump from the academy to the first team is pretty tiny.

• Advertisement

From Richie Partridge to Raheem Stirling, there has been a history of over-hyping young prospects at Liverpool. The number of players in that who have made the big jump from the academy to the first team is pretty tiny.

Yea I agree this a Liverpool only phenomenon, no other club in world football thinks any of their youth players will ever make the grade.

Partridge was very unlucky in fairness. He was a very talented player, got injured at key times. He eventually went on loan to Coventry and was fantastic for them but Houllier never fancied him. Some will write him and others off as being sub standard, but there are players with good careers right now who were far behind such "failures" at the same age in terms of talent. Getting it right with young players is a talent in itself.

With young players there are so many variables. You really need to get a chance and seize it and its so hard to do so at bigger clubs.

I really do think Tom Ince is in a good spot right now, learned his trade at Liverpool and is now taking all he has learned and putting it to use at the right age (this being the key part) in the championship with Blackpool.

As an attacking player, you need first team games early or theres a real danger you may fall by the wayside.

True and I'm old enough to remember the Richie Partridge hype brigade .

But there is a good feeling about the current batch of academy coming through ..anyone else think this ?

mixednuts wrote: »

But there is a good feeling about the current batch of academy coming through ..anyone else think this ?

Sterling has too much quality not to make the break through somewhere. He has immense talent. He is the definite stand out in fairness and by all accounts could have a premiership loan move if he wanted one before the window closed.

Jack Robinson will also be a big player for us in future too, albeit he is more experienced and already has first team experience. Flanagan moved ahead of him in terms of first team status but Robinson has just got far more potential and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mayordenis wrote: »
    Yea I agree this a Liverpool only phenomenon, no other club in world football thinks any of their youth players will ever make the grade.

That may or may not be true. I don't know, I don't follow other teams forums and youth players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

For years we have all been talking about various young players being the next big thing. Most of them never make it in fairness. There does feel like something a bit special about some of the lads in this group though.

Flanagan, Robinson and sterling certainly stand out. Conor Coady could well be another along with silva and Suso. No one really knows how it pan out. These lads really do need to making a step up in the next 12 to 18 months, either with us or on loan. That's the only way to really know.

Really looking forward to the semi against Ajax now. Will be a real test for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm not down at all really, for all our problems at the moment we are still ahead of Liverpool in the league and are in contention for a CL spot unlike the Pool.

It's funny how in one post your goin on about how when Liverpool play Chelsea that liverpool see it as a cup final and yet in another post you say you are happy as long as you are ahead of liverpool. and how it is always you (the supposed chelsea fan) that is always in here talking about liverpool. Why you so obsessed with Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dr Galen wrote: »
    For years we have all been talking about various young players being the next big thing. Most of them never make it in fairness. There does feel like something a bit special about some of the lads in this group though.

Flanagan, Robinson and sterling certainly stand out. Conor Coady could well be another along with silva and Suso. No one really knows how it pan out. These lads really do need to making a step up in the next 12 to 18 months, either with us or on loan. That's the only way to really know.

Really looking forward to the semi against Ajax now. Will be a real test for them

I had a semi against Ajax once, came out in a bad reaction. Cillit Bang is much better and at least when you are caught you can claim dyslexia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some of the Suarez criticism is ridiculous...my main criticism of him would be that he tries to take too much out of the ball and doesn't shoot enough. The penalty incident against Arsenal was a perfect example, if he hit the ball first time he would most likely score but he tried to take it around the keeper and the ball was going out for a goal kick if he wasn't quite clearly and viciously taken out of it.

Leave the talk of getting rid of him to Fergie and his ilk.

He has 89 shots in the league with 6 goals. A goal every 15 shots.

He shouldn't be taking such a high volume of shots if he isn't a good finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some of the criticism of Carra on the past few pages has been a bit OTT, sure he's not the standard to be a first team starter anymore but thats Kennys decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rafa Meets Dub13...

42255510150712451900575.jpg

43224710150712451810575.jpg

Dub13 wrote: »
    Rafa Meets Dub13...

42255510150712451900575.jpg

43224710150712451810575.jpg

Na, that him with Alex McLeish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

djPSB wrote: »
    He has 89 shots in the league with 6 goals. A goal every 15 shots.

He shouldn't be taking such a high volume of shots if he isn't a good finisher.

Jesus....didn't think it was that much.

94 of those shots have hit the post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Rafa might be gone but im sure he looks at the club and sees Borell & Segura still producing ,which is a big incentive to return if he ever gets the opportunity .
    I just think this is the most ridiculous comment. Rafa has gone, let it go! If the papers are to be believed, he could be Chelsea's next manager. Are you going to spend the whole time on here praising Rafa when Chelsea race past us in the league? Get behind the manager! We're not actually doing that bad, we're generally dominating play, we bagged a cup. Add a goalscorer up front and we would be flying. A lot of commotion about losing to Arsenal but we played well and it was unlucky. This constant Rafa love-in is like a dark cloud hanging over the club.
    It's always only going to be a small number that break through, but we've got a good record, e.g. Fowler, McManaman, Matteo, Owen, Danny Murphy, Carragher, Gerrard and now Spearing, Kelly and Flanagan are all involved in the first team. It's not just Liverpool fans talking about Stirling though, he is a hot tip for success in the near future. What ever happened to Dani Pacheco? Was he not supposed to be the next Pele?

Apology accepted.

Suarez is a good player, but doesn't score enough. If we can flog him to a Spanish or Italian team for 30mill I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Apology accepted.

Suarez is a good player, but doesn't score enough. If we can flog him to a Spanish or Italian team for 30mill I'd be happy with that.

Selling Suarez would surely send out the wrong message. Especially when we are trying to attract better players to the club. Every player has his value but we need to be building the team around players like Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Aren't most of us old enough to remember him at Liverpool? :D

Dub13 wrote: »
    Rafa Meets Dub13...

Dub13... did Rafa do a Q&A after the awards? Any controversial questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Selling Suarez would surely send out the wrong message.

I agree with you about the message. But if the money was used on strikers that hit the ground running, and other money was invested in midfield and out wide, then it would quickly be forgotten. If we got two 20 goal a season strikers and a decent winger, who can behave themselves, then we'd forget Suarez fairly quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement