Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dub13 wrote: »
    Rafa Meets Dub13...

Did he need a translator to understand you?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

43224710150712451810575.jpg

Love that design. But I always wondered, what if Rafa's personal politics are conservative. Some of that lot don't see the "romantic" side of commie-kitsch. :D I'm in no way criticising the design. Think its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

ush wrote: »
    I agree with you about the message. But if the money was used on strikers that hit the ground running, and other money was invested in midfield and out wide, then it would quickly be forgotten. If we got two 20 goal a season strikers and a decent winger, who can behave themselves, then we'd forget Suarez fairly quickly.

I think the way to go could be to bring in an older striker who is still banging in goals like Podolski. One seasoned pro together with Raheem Stirling coming through could be a great way to solve the "Carroll Conundrum". Worked a treat with Bellamy so why not pursue that line of thinking. This way, Carroll will still get game time and who knows...might start banging them in!

I'd go the same route with solving our centre-mid conundrum. Keita from Barcelona could be just the man.

I think the way to go could be to bring in an older striker who is still banging in goals like Podolski. One seasoned pro together with Raheem Stirling coming through could be a great way to solve the "Carroll Conundrum". Worked a treat with Bellamy so why not pursue that line of thinking. This way, Carroll will still get game time and who knows...might start banging them in!

I'd go the same route with solving our centre-mid conundrum. Keita from Barcelona could be just the man.

Fair enough. Seasoned professionals bring alot to the table. But is that moneyball? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

:rolleyes:

Delighted :P
    @thisisanfield: Chelsea fans singing anti-Rafa songs?”

• Advertisement

Don't know which are worst among that lot. The owner, the senior players or the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Apology accepted.

Suarez is a good player, but doesn't score enough. If we can flog him to a Spanish or Italian team for 30mill I'd be happy with that.

What the f*ck are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rumour mill has really kicked off today. Pedro is the latest player to be linked but he has a huge release clause. Also linked with Matias Suarez. Guess we will not know who we are trailing until he actually signs for us.

I'm not sure why people mention release clauses when talking about Spanish-based players. They're required to have them, by either the Spanish FA or legally, in Spain.
    It's completely irrelevant. They'd hardly set them low so everyone could steal all their players...

Pedro definitely seems to have played a bit less this season. If Pep really trusted him I don't think Cuenca and Tello would've played as much.

If he's one of 3 attacking-minded players and costs less than 18m I think he'd be a good buy. Certainly knows where the goal is.
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    Glen Johnson is also allegedly a target of Real Madrid. This is an interesting one, i'd be open to selling him to be honest, provided we make Real pay through the nose.

With Kelly, Flanagan and even Wisdom capable of playing in this position i'd be willing to accept a big fee for Johnson

Ryan McLaughlin is also coming along nicely for the under 19s and reserves, we are well stocked at right full.
    There's no way we have anyone nearly as good as Johnson. Kelly has shown that while he's a fairly good defender, he can't attack. At all. And flanagan is 18 or so. I don't think there's a single RB of any repute that would be gettable who's better than Johnson.

mixednuts wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Delighted :P

Really hope he doesn't go there.

Terrible fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Kelly can attack, he's shown that over lots of games. Arsenal was a one off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Aquilani on for Milan v arsenal... Tv3

spockety wrote: »
    Aquilani on for Milan v arsenal... Tv3

And Meireles just scored a cracker for Chelsea. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

G.K. wrote: »
    Kelly can attack, he's shown that over lots of games. Arsenal was a one off.

His crossing is by and large awful. He's fast and athletic but has no skill on the ball to speak of - enough for a CB, maybe a very good one, but I hope we never have to resort to him being 1st choice RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gbear wrote: »
    His crossing is by and large awful. He's fast and athletic but has no skill on the ball to speak of - enough for a CB, maybe a very good one, but I hope we never have to resort to him being 1st choice RB.

There was a bandwagon going there for a while saying Kelly should be playing ahead of Johnson :o

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What the f*ck are you talking about?
    You know well what i'm talking about. So blinded by your love for Suarez that you had no idea on the stats. 89 shots on goal.... maybe not quite the second coming that you imagine him to be.

You were on here ranting and raving about my suggestion that Suarez shouldn't be exempt from criticism. 89 shots on goal, and an 8 match ban.

You know well what i'm talking about. So blinded by your love for Suarez that you had no idea on the stats. 89 shots on goal.... maybe not quite the second coming that you imagine him to be.

You were on here ranting and raving about my suggestion that Suarez shouldn't be exempt from criticism. 89 shots on goal, and an 8 match ban.

9 games.

Wouldn't sell him though, Still one of our best players.

He needs to be playing up front with an out and out striker, even if it is Carroll. He's not going to improve if he continues to be played as a lone striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You didn't criticise, you said he should be gotten rid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

and does any other player in our squad bring the kind of flair he does?

if it wasnt for Suarez, Liverpool as a club would have died quite a lot this year. No excitement, no hope, nothing. Having a player like Suarez is a lot more than having your stats boosted. It's having a player other clubs would kill to have, its having a world beater.

I rarely rant, but your posts saying gladly take 30mil are ludicrous at best.

You take Suarez out, and you see Liverpool with no hope. Players want to come to LFC because we still have world class players. What ever Gerrard can't offer on the pitch now, that kind of pull is what he can offer. And Suarez is in a similar boat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

djPSB wrote: »
    There was a bandwagon going there for a while saying Kelly should be playing ahead of Johnson :o

Wasn't that more to do with the fact that Johnson could be more effective pushed further up the wing?

Eg Kelly and Johnson could be better than Johnson and Kuyt/Henderson..

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm suprised at some lads falling for the Chessplayer's BS posts.

Surely they should know what he's at...

spockety wrote: »
    Wasn't that more to do with the fact that Johnson could be more effective pushed further up the wing?

Eg Kelly and Johnson could be better than Johnson and Kuyt/Henderson..

I've always entertained that idea of Johnson going forward...seems to be win win when you have Kelly to cover...

but i would never drop a fit johnson for kelly.

rarnes1 wrote: »

ah crap he's not one of those is he?

I thought he was actually thick...and fell right into his trap...oops

It's all cool, I accept your apology.

eldwaro wrote: »
    I've always entertained that idea of Johnson going forward...seems to be win win when you have Kelly to cover...

but i would never drop a fit johnson for kelly.

Johnson as a winger is a big no no.

He's doing very well at right back.

Kelly has being very average this season.

I would have liked to see Kelly sent out on loan for the season, then we would see for sure what he is capable of. And we would have Flanagan as back up to Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rafa Meets Dub13...

42255510150712451900575.jpg

For a moment there I thought Rafa was visiting Mountjoy. :p

Yesterday you were calling Carroll a donkey who should be sold. Now you want to keep him in the team?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Kess73 wrote: »

If you seen the rest of the pics with he other lads it could wll be the Joy.Thats still better than been called Alex McLeish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Rafa Meets Dub13...

42255510150712451900575.jpg

Cause of the flat screen tv ?

If you seen the rest of the pics with he other lads it could wll be the Joy.Thats still better than been called Alex McLeish...

Just don't get a McLeish vibe from the pic. Now if you had said a young Perry Groves......:p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just don't get a McLeish vibe from the pic. Now if you had said a young Perry Groves......:p

Never liked him. He always seemed to score against us, although I'm probably imagining that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ush wrote: »
    Fair enough. Seasoned professionals bring alot to the table. But is that moneyball? :confused:

Seasoned professionals can indeed be "moneyball".

All 'sabermetrics' really boils down to is "value for money". Looking for attributes which are undervalued and can be brought in at equal or lower than the clubs own value of that player/attribute.

Considering his wages, would Keita provide that? I'm not sure to be honest, his best attributes are physicality and mobility, things which fade quickly with age, as opposed to someone who's game is based on "reading the game" and passing range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

There has been no sign of any of that sabremetrics lark so far. If thats what weve been basing our signings on id say its pure garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There has been no sign of any of that sabremetrics lark so far. If thats what weve been basing our signings on id say its pure garbage.

There was that stat that we brought in three of the top 10 "chance creators" from the previous year in the league in Henderson, Downing and Adam, and tried for a fourth in Young. Typical that we create plenty of chances now, and just can't score any goals. A somewhat obvious oversight...

Given what we paid for 2 of those 3, a huge weight must have been put on that stat to justify the money.

It's almost like they just jumped at that stat at all cost and ignored the myriad of other information detailing whats required from wingers and midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Really hope he doesn't go there.

Terrible fans.

Come down off your high horse with your generalizations. What are you, some kind of super fan? :o

To those in here that thought Benitez wouldn't take the chelsea job because of his pool history or Roman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17279618

No chance of him getting it though IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

No chance of him getting it though IMO.

Yeah, he really lacks the managerial pedigree at club level of recent Chelsea managers like Di Matteo (MK Dons, WBA), Scolari (Jubilo Iwata, Qadsia Sporting Club) and Avram Grant (Maccabi Haifi, Hapoel Haifa).

Can't really afford to rule out any viable canditates with Abramovich in charge, let alone one who has won two Spanish league titles and the European Cup.

And considering he is the only manager to get the best out of Fernando Torres at club level, maybe Roman is fed up of looking like a fool for sanctioning the transfer and will want to rectify his form by appointing the man who helped Torres realise his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I really hope Benitez does not end up at Chelsea cause I can see it happening. I will be sick if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7576001/PSG-plan-Suarez-swoop

I've a feeling were going to be hearing a lot of cr*p like this over the next few months.

Hard to believe people on here think it would be a good idea to sell Suarez (for footballing reasons anyway!). He's a magnificent footballer and brings so much more than just shots/goals. He is having a dry spell in fairness but what striker doesnt - at least he is still there trying with everything he has, and is not far away in most cases. It will happen for him - he has a decent goal/game ratio for his other teams and Uruguay.

I just hope his head isnt turned after all the sh*t that went down. I have a friend who is Uruguayan and he says Liverpool are very highly thought of because of their defense of Suarez - lets hope loyalty pays off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Podolski is 26. He's about 18 months older than Suarez, and 6 years younger than Bellamy. I'd love him to join, but I don't think it would be a case of bringing in an old reliable player like it was with Craig. He'd also cost the best part of £20m.

• Advertisement

Time and time again you are having a go at me. Just because I question Suarez's goal-rate, this is the crap you come out with.
    Yesterday you were calling Carroll a donkey who should be sold. Now you want to keep him in the team?:D
    I think the money we shelled out for Carroll means we are stuck with him. Yes he can be a donkey but there's potential there for a 15 goal a season striker. I think to solve the Carroll Conundrum we need an old-stager to come in alongside.
    eldwaro wrote: »
    and does any other player in our squad bring the kind of flair he does?

if it wasnt for Suarez, Liverpool as a club would have died quite a lot this year. No excitement, no hope, nothing. Having a player like Suarez is a lot more than having your stats boosted. It's having a player other clubs would kill to have, its having a world beater.

I rarely rant, but your posts saying gladly take 30mil are ludicrous at best.

You take Suarez out, and you see Liverpool with no hope. Players want to come to LFC because we still have world class players. What ever Gerrard can't offer on the pitch now, that kind of pull is what he can offer. And Suarez is in a similar boat.
    There's more to LFC than one star player. Look, Suarez is a very very good player but I'd snap the hand off any club who'd offer 30m. It's just my opinion that he doesn't score enough. No need to take it so personally. Your hero-worship of Suarez is a bit alien to me.
    Sappy404 wrote: »
    Podolski is 26. He's about 18 months older than Suarez, and 6 years younger than Bellamy. I'd love him to join, but I don't think it would be a case of bringing in an old reliable player like it was with Craig. He'd also cost the best part of £20m.
    I'm amazed that Podolski is only 26, seems like he has been around for about 10 years. My mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

djPSB wrote: »
    Johnson as a winger is a big no no.

He's doing very well at right back.

Kelly has being very average this season.

I would have liked to see Kelly sent out on loan for the season, then we would see for sure what he is capable of. And we would have Flanagan as back up to Johnson.

Totally agree. Anyone who reckon's Johnson as a winger should refer to the Stoke game at Anfield this season. He has had a great season but cannot play that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this sums up my feelings on the Chelsea fans' baulking at the idea of Rafa at their club, and even worse, telling the guy he can fúck off...
    paul_tomkins: @PGJ matthews:

Rafa Benitez has won more European trophies than Chelsea football club. You don't deserve him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Time and time again you are having a go at me. Just because I question Suarez's goal-rate, this is the crap you come out with.

Now, now Chessplayer. You aren't questioning his goal rate, I've done that myself on the thread, you kind of started of with the idea of selling him, which got quite the reaction, as expected!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I really hope Benitez does not end up at Chelsea cause I can see it happening. I will be sick if he does.

Sick, devastated, gutted, etc. Words that best sum up how I'd feel if he went there tbh.

Chessplayer, you say we should sell Suarez on goal and assist stats alone. You deserve to be called up on rubbish like that.

Ever watch on the box /go to any Liverpool match this season? If you did you'll note that he's our best creative player by a mile. So let's sell him....derp

I don't believe that you're for real anyway.there's no way you believe some of the stuff you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Yeah, he really lacks the managerial pedigree at club level of recent Chelsea managers like Di Matteo (MK Dons, WBA), Scolari (Jubilo Iwata, Qadsia Sporting Club) and Avram Grant (Maccabi Haifi, Hapoel Haifa).

Can't really afford to rule out any viable canditates with Abramovich in charge, let alone one who has won two Spanish league titles and the European Cup.

And considering he is the only manager to get the best out of Fernando Torres at club level, maybe Roman is fed up of looking like a fool for sanctioning the transfer and will want to rectify his form by appointing the man who helped Torres realise his potential.

**yawn**

I never said he didnt have good achievements but nice of you to put words in my mouth. you got a few thanks for it anyway so id say your happy.

All i said was it's never going to happen. Roman wouldn't have him IMO. His negative style of play and disastrous end to his last two jobs would count against him too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

delighted to hear this from Glen...
    Glen Johnson has admitted Liverpool’s season will be considered a failure despite their Carling Cup final win if the Reds fail to finish in the top four.

Rest of Piece Here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

**yawn**

I never said he didnt have good achievements but nice of you to put words in my mouth. you got a few thanks for it anyway so id say your happy.

All i said was it's never going to happen. Roman wouldn't have him IMO. His negative style of play and disastrous end to his last two jobs would count against him too much.

At this stage, disastrous ends to club management spells shouldn't be that much of an issue for Roman! Very few have perfect records, well AVB had as near as can be, as did Jose.

He isn't that particularly negative, but wouldn't be as pleasing on the eye as AVB's ideas, but then we never got to see AVB's vision of Chelsea either, which is one big part of why Rafa shouldn't go there, the players, the other being Roman.

Something similar happened in 09/10 with Rafa, the attacking football of the previous season got ditched as the defence was porous, which then alienated many Rafa loyalists.

Rafa would want full control over transfers, that isn't going to happen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

neither chelsea's horrible owner, past it senior players or plastic fans deserve a manager like rafa.

As much as id like to see him back in football i hope it is not with that club

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement